steady shots during low lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMSS_2

Hi Boys & Gals,

How do you achieve steady shots everytime you shoot in low lighting? that is without flash conditions and tripod.

example : the camera will forced you to shoot at 1/60 - 1/2 seconds whilst the rest of the conditions remain constant.

Lets hear some ideas. :embrass:

hahaha think i asked the same question two or three days ago...same answer use a tripod cannot cheat one :sticktong

NMSS_2 said:
Hi Boys & Gals,

How do you achieve steady shots everytime you shoot in low lighting? that is without flash conditions and tripod.

example : the camera will forced you to shoot at 1/60 - 1/2 seconds whilst the rest of the conditions remain constant.

u will get noob answers if u say hi boys and girls....

i suppose u are using a Point and SHoot ??

Low light, u use either High ISO or u use flash. aperture open at f1.8 and above not exceeding f/3.5

for me,since i am using a Dslr, i will shoot with flash, ISO 400, f/2.8 1/60. juz to play safe...

high ISO. and flash is ur chance...

rebbot said:
hahaha think i asked the same question two or three days ago...same answer use a tripod cannot cheat one :sticktong

if ur shutter exceeds 1/60, tripod is a muz !!

For handheld slow shutter, most people can handle down to 1/30 sec...just need to hold your breath and pause a little. With steady hands, it is possible to shoot at 1/10 or 1/15 secs at wide angles.

i am using a DSLR. someone did mentioned to me a few weeks back that he abstrain from coffee or tea due to shaky hands. i cant help it, i am a coffee lover. ;p

beside using a monopod, tuck-in bag to belly technique.... any others? using battery grip for added weight?

snowspeeder said:
For handheld slow shutter, most people can handle down to 1/30 sec...just need to hold your breath and pause a little. With steady hands, it is possible to shoot at 1/10 or 1/15 secs at wide angles.

woah i tink 1/50 is the slowest i can go handheld ;)

NMSS_2 said:
i am using a DSLR. someone did mentioned to me a few weeks back that he abstrain from coffee or tea due to shaky hands. i cant help it, i am a coffee lover. ;p

On the contrary, good coffee gives me steady hands.

NMSS_2 said:
:bsmilie: ok, what brand is good? tongka ali coffee? ;p

My favorite would be Blue Mountain and Vienna coffee with good brown sugar. If not, any freshly brewed coffee would do. The ones at the coffee shops are too acidic for me. Can't touch them when I'm onto event photography.

snowspeeder said:
My favorite would be Blue Mountain and Vienna coffee with good brown sugar. If not, any freshly brewed coffee would do. The ones at the coffee shops are too acidic for me. Can't touch them when I'm onto event photography.

will give them a try for the sake of coffee tasting but dont think they can help me in stabilising my shots.

DSLR @ 1/2 to 1/30 s..after a while u will get used to it. skill and confidece takes a while to establish

use ISO 500 at least

then..just hold and shoot as per normal. use flash to predominantly freeze main subject since the low shutter apeed wil give rise to trails of movement of the main subject

some situations that will give rise to these are shooting landscapes in low lighting. cant use flash or forget/hassle to bring tripod. looking for unconventional ideas in stabilising shots physically instead of changing settings in the camera. :D

nighttime landscape..usually dont need flash. what i meant earlier was for low light events ^^

unconventional ways..really depends on where u are positioned in he actual scene. it can be leaning against a wall/pillar/lampost/anything to be more stable or place the cam on the floor or slightly elevated on the bag which u were carrying ..anything.

or gaffer the camera temporarily on any wall u can find nearby ..lol

NMSS_2 said:
Hi Boys & Gals,

hear this from some ppl, have not tried it yet ...
If your camera is able to shot raw,
use exposure compension to push down 2 stops , this will give you a 2 stop increase in shutter speed , and hence easier to get a steady shot.

2 stops bcos, my PS raw plugin can only adjust +/- 2 stops :)

then in PS or your camera processing sw, adjust back the 2 stops to get the correct exposure ...

anyone tried b4 ? can share experience ? :think:

sweeper said:
hear this from some ppl, have not tried it yet ...
If your camera is able to shot raw,
use exposure compension to push down 2 stops , this will give you a 2 stop increase in shutter speed , and hence easier to get a steady shot.

2 stops bcos, my PS raw plugin can only adjust +/- 2 stops :)

then in PS or your camera processing sw, adjust back the 2 stops to get the correct exposure ...

anyone tried b4 ? can share experience ? :think:
:bigeyes: blur shots can be recovered? :sweatsm:

Remember the hold rifle techniques we learnt back in NS? :)
Tuck in elbow, hold breath..etc Maybe can do proning too! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

NMSS_2 said:
Hi Boys & Gals,

time to go out and shoot more.... ;p
practise makes perfect.

some may agree and some may not agree. the camera i use handheld shooting at low light is my leica.

Status
Not open for further replies.