Steady hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris323yeo

Dec 18, 2007
Hi,

How would you maintain steady hand when taking photo for a long time?

Thanks.

Hi,

How would you maintain steady hand when taking photo for a long time?

Thanks.

Image Stabiliser. Use a tripod for shots over 1-3 seconds since your hands cant maintain their steadyness for that long.
Of course, other than that you can perch yourself against something for support but effectiveness depend on user itself.

For steady hands I guess it's the same way you steady an M16 - breathing control, tuck in elbows, posture, and use a tripod/monopod/bipod(lol) if necessary. Sandbag even.

If still cannot then I guess no choice. ADOPT PRONE SUPPORTED POSITION! :bsmilie:

But seriously, when you say taking photos for long time, do you mean long photo shoots, or long shutter speeds? You'd definitely need a tripod for long long shutter speeds.

The general rule of thumb to safely expose a sharp image handheld is not to shoot with a shutter speed slower than 1/focal length of the lens. Example, If you are using a 50mm lens, don't shoot with shutter speed slower than 1/50. If u need to go beyond that usually what I do is leaning to a wall or something to stable yourself, breath in and hold, and shoot! Good luck trying!

For steady hands I guess it's the same way you steady an M16 - breathing control, tuck in elbows, posture, and use a tripod/monopod/bipod(lol) if necessary. Sandbag even.

If still cannot then I guess no choice. ADOPT PRONE SUPPORTED POSITION! :bsmilie:

But seriously, when you say taking photos for long time, do you mean long photo shoots, or long shutter speeds? You'd definitely need a tripod for long long shutter speeds.

Haa haa yeah the basic fundamentals. No joke about the proning part, some photographers do get down on the ground to get interesting compositions as well as for the purpose of getting a steadier shot.

For me, i usually tuck in my elbows or brace myself against something solid and stationary. Sitting on the floor and using the knees as a support for the elbows works well too. :)

tuck in ur elbows and all.. breathing..press shutter slowly oso.... can use like railing as support as well..

juz imagine ur cam as rifle can liao..

Thanks for all the suggestions, used to go tour with wifey...at the begining of the day, the results still ok, but by late noon, seems not able to take still shot.

LOL...still got lots to learn.:bsmilie:

If you try your hands with a high end setup (Pro Body + Pro Lense + Flash) for one whole day, you'll see why usually at the end of the day, most users of these setups have a tired wrist. =) It's easily 3 KG

Status
Not open for further replies.