STB wants to tap on ideas from the public

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreaming

Oct 22, 2006
STB developing new blueprint to boost tourist growth
By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 12 October 2009 2050 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) is developing a new road map for 2020. It is also looking for ideas from the public.

Singapore's tourism industry has taken a hit with the economic downturn. Latest figures showed tourist arrivals from January to August fell 9.2 per cent over the same period last year to 6.23 million.

There was one silver lining though - the rate of decline has slowed since June.

The STB had previously set as its 2015 target 17 million visitor arrivals and S$30 billion in tourism receipts. But it now said that would be a challenge.

Looking forward to 2020, the STB has put together a steering committee to chart strategic directions for the future of an industry that contributed 5.8 per cent to GDP last year.

Five taskforces have been set up to look into specific areas - Business, Enrichment, Lifestyle, Marketing plus Travel and Hospitality.

Industry leaders heading these taskforces know they face an uphill task.

Dennis Foo, co-chair of Lifestyle Taskforce and CEO of St James Power Station, said: "... very exciting years ahead, with the two IRs (integrated resorts). But the big challenge is really to have the right software - essentially, it's the people. Hospitality is about people."

Loh Lik Peng, co-chair of Business Taskforce and director of KMC Holdings, said: "A lot of it is looking ahead and seeing the growth opportunities in markets like China, India, Indonesia.

"If you look at the wealth creation in those countries, the size of the middle class and the people who will travel for work and will want to come for events in Singapore or hold a conference here will increase exponentially.

"We want to position ourselves so that we get a fair share of that market. We don't want to be marginalised by their own capital cities."

About 70 per cent of Singapore's visitor arrivals are from Asia.

For its new road map, the STB wants to tap on ideas from the public through this website.

The public can submit their ideas over the next four months.

STB's chief executive, Aw Kah Peng, said: "Everyone who has a good idea, who can contribute, we want to hear them. If we can take even a small number of these ideas and turn them into something that works for us, that will be tremendously powerful."

The new road map and targets are expected to be ready by March next year.

- CNA/ir

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1010900/1/.html

chief , scholar and superscale ppl need public to generate idea for them

Govt service stocked with former scorers should do their jobs. How come cannot perform and come up with bright ideas themselves?

Also if some guy from the streets come up with a real good idea, will he be rewarded? Or the scorer just use his idea to get credit and promotion?

are they willing to part with their bonuses to give out as prizes to the smart few who has a $30b solution?

How about 30 units of D3x to be won?

Free ideas are only worth peanuts to attract monkeys.

Govt service stocked with former scorers should do their jobs. How come cannot perform and come up with bright ideas themselves?

Also if some guy from the streets come up with a real good idea, will he be rewarded? Or the scorer just use his idea to get credit and promotion?

bonus time is near. if they dont make it, they break it.

i used to have a friend who shot free for ah gong... in the end no credit mention and not even a cheeseburger.
in the end, my friend stopped shooting for them and did it for some other parties. Well, he got free resort stay, free air tickets to travel and warm welcome notes and even presented him honorable titles! And the best part was, my friend was paid professionally by external parties but ah gong didnt pay him a dime! what a shame!~

are they willing to part with their bonuses to give out as prizes to the smart few who has a $30b solution?

How about 30 units of D3x to be won?

Free ideas are only worth peanuts to attract monkeys.

There are prizes lah, some resort world crap.

But heck, if anyone's got an idea that generates $30b, he deserves dividends and the place at the head of STB. IIRC, $30b > the amount of taxes collected by IRAS in a year.

Bottom line is this: if you've got a bright idea, don't let others make you a fool and take advantage of you.

but ah gong didnt pay him a dime! what a shame!~

LOL, best is that some can ask you to make it like National Service (Reservist)! Me kana once as they requested but i turn it down and enough liao. No big deal about it if it meant to exploit one to benefit their own.

It just happened "recently"

Bottom line is this: if you've got a bright idea, don't let others make you a fool and take advantage of you.

sometime, it ok to share if it really can help the others but not till that being exploit till to the max.

Can asked one to work for 2 WEEKS for FREE not even transportations etc and want one to deal and settled all the "legal" documents and they just want to end product only, nothing they will care.

LOL, best is that some can ask you to make it like National Service (Reservist)! Me kana once as they requested but i turn it down and enough liao. No big deal about it if it meant to exploit one to benefit their own.

It just happened "recently"

You were smart to avoid the arrow. my friend suffered in silence for over a year over some 20 events. Well, they did say thanks though. the ah gong i was referring to is as above the title... eh, but not to loud pls. LOL

There are prizes lah, some resort world crap.

But heck, if anyone's got an idea that generates $30b, he deserves dividends and the place at the head of STB. IIRC, $30b > the amount of taxes collected by IRAS in a year.

i think if someone can think of an idea to turn around a 30b project without putting in much $, he/she can win the Nobel prize liao. Even B.O. can get a prize for peace, this nut is far tougher than to think about peace keeping.

You were smart to avoid the arrow. my friend suffered in silence for over a year over some 20 events. Well, they did say thanks though. the ah gong i was referring to is as above the title... eh, but not to loud pls. LOL

lol, the one approached me is a HUGE one and never expect this kind of things will come out from their MOUTH (the one talk to me thru phone and email)

Honestly, they have no integrity and damn cheapo. Sad to say that lor. They are just too much and the "re-concept" the stuff they interested with mine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.