Stay with Canon... or take the Nikon plunge?

buckwheat

Nov 15, 2004
I have a 40D with a number of good Canon lenses... 17-55/f2.8, 70-200/f2.8, 50/1.4, etc. I've been looking at the 60D, but have also looked at the D7000. All the reviews suggest that the D7000 outperforms the 60D in most aspects. I know this sub-forum might be a little biased ;) but can anyone experienced with both bodies suggest whether the positives of the D7000 ISO performance, AF function, etc outweigh the hassle of having to change over systems?

Cheers.

buckwheat said:
I have a 40D with a number of good Canon lenses... 17-55/f2.8, 70-200/f2.8, 50/1.4, etc. I've been looking at the 60D, but have also looked at the D7000. All the reviews suggest that the D7000 outperforms the 60D in most aspects. I know this sub-forum might be a little biased ;) but can anyone experienced with both bodies suggest whether the positives of the D7000 ISO performance, AF function, etc outweigh the hassle of having to change over systems?

Cheers.

With the lenses you have, it's better to stay with canon. If you don't like the 60D maybe you can consider 7D?

Seems that you want a better body, how about 7D??

For 60D Pros are the articulated screen and video quality.

If that is not enough, i suggest you go for full frame a whole lot of difference with crop sensor.
You can get :
1) 5D2 + 24-105F4 IS (total around $3.5k ~4k)and u are good to go after selling 40D + 17-55. (more economical sense)
2) 7D (>$2k)
3) 60D ($1.3k)
4) Nikon D7000 + 17-55 + 70-200VR2 + AF-S 50/1.4 (range around $6k)
5) Nikon D700 + 24-120F4 VR2 + 70-200VR2 (range around $8k)

Ya.. stay canon to be more cost effective. 7d is even better than d7000

For you wallet, IMO you should stick to Canon. So you wont have to splurge on changing to Nikon lenses etc.

If you're looking to upgrade, why not consider the 7D as well...

:)

yes... when i first touch on 7D, i almost mistaken it to be the FF Mark2.

thanks for the replies guys! isnt the 7D and 60D virtually identical? I thought the extra processor was just to help bump up fps and buffering?

hmmm..If i were you.. I probably wont switch..i will make a big loss selling and buying new nikon lenses..(ok maybe u are ok with 2nd but still...)
With the loss and trouble to sell..I will not do it. Anyway..Canon isnt that bad too.. Are you only interested in APS-C cameras? like many mentioned maybe you can take a look at 7D..not sure how much better it is compared to 60D.

hmm bare in mind..electronics like camera bodies..will just keep coming years after years..the new 1 will replace the old 1.. so what happen if next time Canon comes out something better than D7K and You like it so much...but Nikon system dosent seems to have that something you want? Switch back again? hmm..well i guess its all about compromising..

excellent advice, thanks again to all.

i'll jump across to the canon forum and start to look at the 7D a little more. cheers!

excellent advice, thanks again to all.

i'll jump across to the canon forum and start to look at the 7D a little more. cheers!

see, we are not biased, hehe

I am a Nikon user. My advice to TS: stick to Canon... protect your investments. That doesn't mean one is better than the other... just that this is what is best for your situation.

Most importantly, keep shooting... even if it is just a iPhone that you have at hand for the moment of the shot.

Cheers.

My suggestion is that any differences will be marginal, and while people write about a lot of things on paper, you would be hard-pressed to see a huge difference when you use it practically.

But of course, it's up to you. More often than not, people have already made up their decision when they start such threads. The threads are more of an attempt at validation of their thinking.. Which is nothing wrong, but as I've already said, it's still up to you. If you've decided to switch, one could put up a compelling argument but there are counters to that. Similarly, if you've decided to stick to Canon, then one could put up an argument for the D7000, but there are also counters to that. :)

I've seen the results from the 60D and I think they are pretty good compared to the cameras of yesteryear (which were pretty good too). In the long run, it's hard to say which would do better. If you have an urgent demand for high ISO performance, I'd say that the D7K (which uses the same sensor as my K5) has the edge, but frankly, it's not as great as a lot of people paint it out to be.

Lastly - my personal opinion. Would I switch if I were in your shoes? Probably not. Although something that really irks me about Canon APS-C cameras is the 1.6x crop factor - which does make a difference at the wide end at times.

Last edited:
I used to had 50D, 60D, 1D2 and 5D1,
IMO, all APS-C bodies produce same IQ,
the only difference is the ISO performance.

even 60D able to push the ISO higher and usable,
but the "cleaniness" of image is way below 5D1,
an old camera with old technology.
may be it is just my eyes and personal preference.

bottom line:
it is really no point to upgrade from APS-C to another APS-C,
unless you need the articulated LCD and video mode.
otherwise, stay with your 40D or upgrade to FF instead.
just my opinion.

agree.
stay with canon.
Get 7D

With the lenses you have, just stay with Canon.
Wait for the new camera after 60D or just get the 60D.
Nowadays, the performance difference at high ISO are all very good and one is only marginally better than the other.
At normal viewing, they all look good. At pixel peeping levels, ISO1600 and above, they are all still noisy. :D
Meaning that at 1600 and higher, they all don't have noise free and as much detail retention as images at ISO100-800. (if ever such a camera will be possible).
This of course has improved a lot since the days of your 40D and ISO1600, 32000 are very usable at normal viewing sizes.
If you are buying fresh into a system, then it would make better sense to squeeze out the marginal advantages one system has over the other, but you already have nice set of lenses, then there is really no point changing system.

thanks for the replies guys! isnt the 7D and 60D virtually identical? I thought the extra processor was just to help bump up fps and buffering?

Not just that. 19 cross type af points and 7D has different types of AF selection, example: Zone AF Point Selection etc... Its more for sports usage but its good to have.

I have a simple saying behind all that Canon or Nikon...

I feel Canon has better value for its $$. The specs, usually canon will win. BUT how much difference will it make 99% of the time when the final picture of posting it on the web or printed material, you won't see much of a difference.
I bought Nikon for the advance flash systems and ergonomics.

if switching camp just because of slightly better specs body, then it'll be endlessly pointless.

Stay with Canon...

Not just that. 19 cross type af points and 7D has different types of AF selection, example: Zone AF Point Selection etc... Its more for sports usage but its good to have.
1 thing i noted and i like is viewfinder brighter than 60D and 5DMkII. I can say 60D is totally different from 7D. 7D more targeted on D300s