Stay on or off?

Steven C

Jul 28, 2011
Do you remove the battery, memory card and lens from the body before storage or if you will not be using it for a while?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of not removing?

Thanks.

Do you remove the battery, memory card and lens from the body before storage or if you will not be using it for a while?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of not removing?

Thanks.

How long is your "for not be using it for a while?" 3 months? 6 months? 1 year or more?

I have 10 over pieces of memory cards, if it is not inside cameras, it will be inside memory card wallets, so it won't get lost easier. it makes no different inside camera or outside camera.

I don't remove battery from my cameras, I recharge them after each use, even it is only use for about 100 shots, and recharge my spare battery periodically. camera batteries need to store in charged state.

I don't dismount lenses when I store my cameras unless run out of space. FYI, 9 cameras in my dry cabinet

Remove all button batteries, AA zinc carbon, AA Alkaline, AAA zinc carbon, AAA Alkaline batteries from body before storage for a long time.

i remove my body battery as soon as i remove memory card for uploading
Magic Lantern bug... the body will continually seek the memory card (or any memory card) until battery exhausted.

i remove my body battery as soon as i remove memory card for uploading
Magic Lantern bug... the body will continually seek the memory card (or any memory card) until battery exhausted.

Actually, it doesn't happen everytime. I usually remove the battery then reinsert again, then ok liao.

I use my camera quite regularly, so there is no need to remove. The battery gets changed quite often. :)

How long is your "for not be using it for a while?" 3 months? 6 months? 1 year or more?

I have 10 over pieces of memory cards, if it is not inside cameras, it will be inside memory card wallets, so it won't get lost easier. it makes no different inside camera or outside camera.

I don't remove battery from my cameras, I recharge them after each use, even it is only use for about 100 shots, and recharge my spare battery periodically. camera batteries need to store in charged state.

I don't dismount lenses when I store my cameras unless run out of space. FYI, 9 cameras in my dry cabinet

9 cameras ?....WOW

For the question, my workflow is after down load the pictures, I will keep the whole set in the cab...
One day before any shooting session, I will check for my card, format if needed, battery level -change if needed and also which lens to bring for the session and change it if needed or additional lens to bring along. That's me...

Once in a while I get request to fix a bent CF pin/s. They say service center usually suggest to get the board replaced (from some brands, it's the main PCB :eek: ). So I guess that's the reason why I get a lot of this kind of repair jobs.

Lessons learned:
-Insert your CF card carefully
-Minimize unnecesary removing of CF card

if it's a weekend shooting thing, I guess it's fine to leave it inside the body

Personal preferences. Period.

I've always had the habit of removing batteries from any electrical devices before storing, irregardless of time - cameras, remotes, everything. When I was much younger I had a Gameboy Color which used to run on AA batteries. After a holiday abroad I came back to find that the battery had melted inside. I think it left an eternal scar on me.

Last edited:
I think battery technology has definitely improved over time and there are fewer occurences of batteries melting (touch wood touch wood) but anyway better to be safe than sorry. Not like it's damn troublesome to remove a battery from your electrical device. At the end of the day it's just about habit and preference.

I remove any batteries...after a lesson of having a leakage in the flash gun...lesson learnt.

It is not about personal preference but about adopting practices.

Removing the batteries even though you plan to use it a few days later is a good idea. Applies to any appliance that you put into storage those that can be prolonged.

Plans change and the few days becomes months n leaked batteries.

agree with most that the AA type and the button type are the more risky ones. Got a lot of bad experiences with my hsehold appliances remote controls.
i always remove AAs from my speedlites, lightmeters etc after use.
For lithium ion type in cameras, i am not so diligent.

there are many types of batteries we are using in our photography, it worth our time and efforts to know more about them, how to use them, and maintaining them.
Exactly, knowledge helps. It's the type of battery (Alcaline, NiMH, LiIon) and not the form factor (AA, button cells) that determines handling and usage. A set of AA Li-Ion type forgotten in the flash gun will not do any harm, not so the Alcaline ones used as backup in last shooting. On the other hand, using Li-Ion in household devices like remote controls will only destroy the batteries.