Statue

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinken

Jun 9, 2005
Pasir Ris
colourdots.com
Went to AH after hearing so much about it. Tried my hand at macro. Confirmed already. Not a macro guy. Escaped with hardly any shots to show, and lots of mosquito bites that took ages to heal.

Sharing one of my spoils I managed to get away with. (Sorry if something like that had been posted before) Hope you like it, and merry xmas :)

statue.jpg

hmm... just my 2 cents...

Would it have been better if u composed it in a way that the statue is more to the left? Left side is too empty, and especially if the statue is looking to the right. wad do the pro's say?

Statue is just like a person, for this, you can't do much about her pose, but you can choose you angle. try other views to see which one is more pleasing to your eyes.

If there anything on her left? if yes, recrop it before you post.

Yep, there's distractions on her left. Takes away the emphasis, I feel. While being a slightly more "balanced" composition, I thought her expression is all gone.

statue2.jpg

f stop way too high for this composition. isolate background. maybe you can even use 50mm/1.8 Alternatively shoot from a lower angle, to give impression of height or scale of statue. (half a cents worth comment)

Here's the another composition that's a little more "balanced". Again, can't capture her expression I wanted.

statue3.jpg

nikkie said:
f stop way too high for this composition. isolate background. maybe you can even use 50mm/1.8 Alternatively shoot from a lower angle, to give impression of height or scale of statue. (half a cents worth comment)

Already using 50 1.4. High F-stop to blur background? That would blur the foreground as well, not just the background, and affect overall sharpness. F4 was the 'highest' I was willing to go as I want as slow shutter speed as I could, handheld, body contorted on the ground to compose. Was already going 1/30, 1/40. Any higher F stop would either take away the water texture or blow the pic beyond recognition.

I like your first one. It's brilliant and the angle is fine for me... Things are ugly in the centre, you know what I mean? Anyway, the only thing that annoyes me is the little informational sign thing sticking out from the statue's leg.
Another cool shot would be of just her face... I think the way whatever that blackk gunk is growing (you know, on her face) would look cool... almost like... tears? I don't know.
by the way, the second image, with the big hunk of concrete and the statue on the left... I like the colors in it... very bright. But the first one is my favorite. :) Happy Christmas!!!

Would you mind if

1 I take the first image and give a slightly different rendition?

2 Post a picture of a statue I took sometime ago, along the same "style" as the rendition I would try to make from your photo?

paxluv said:
I like your first one. It's brilliant and the angle is fine for me... Things are ugly in the centre, you know what I mean? Anyway, the only thing that annoyes me is the little informational sign thing sticking out from the statue's leg.
Another cool shot would be of just her face... I think the way whatever that blackk gunk is growing (you know, on her face) would look cool... almost like... tears? I don't know.
by the way, the second image, with the big hunk of concrete and the statue on the left... I like the colors in it... very bright. But the first one is my favorite. :) Happy Christmas!!!

Glad you liked it :)

Here's the cropped version of the face only, just for you :) Happy Xmas;)

statue4.jpg

In line with paxlux comments about just photographing the face...

I think like taking a picture of a person, one do not have to take the image of the whole person (catchlights). Sometimes a narrow view might be better.

I feel my feeble attempt does not really work well, but I hope it illustrates the point. I like most the smile and perhaps the flowing water as if giving life. Well, the idea anyway!

Stat.jpg

And here is a picture of a statue I took sometime ago.

StatueFlorence.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.