Starting Over

thelight

Jun 8, 2010
Happy new year to all CS members!
May the year of the rabbit brings you continuos health and prosperity!
Thank you all for the contributions and I have learn much(but never enuf) from reading in this forum.
It's the new year and I have started selling my 6 mth old canon system and changing to a Nikon FF soon,
new year=new system?
Now I got a chance to start all over again with around 10k budget.
I'm thinking of 17-35mm and 70-200mm + D700 body.
Travel very very often and wish to carry only 2 lenses most of the time.
What do you think?
Really would love to hear your invaluable feedback.
I figured since I'm changing to a FF, I might as well try out a new system to learn more, so please refrain from asking why the change? I believe both are equally good system, period.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Bro. Happy New Year and Congrats! now that you have the opportunity to rebuild your FX system.
I used to own a D3 but switched to a D700 (have been shooting with the D700 3 yrs + now). Reason is mainly the D700 can do just about all the D3 does and it's less bulky, and has a built-in flash.
I shoot mostly travel, and travel portraits of people (local folks), and the scenery, architecture, festivals, of places I visit. Recently been to Turkey (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28858702@N07/sets/72157625532446002/), and got a chance to shoot while flying in a hot air balloon.

Here is my take on FX equipment (assuming you're willing to carry good lenses for good image quality):
1) for the mid-range, i have a AF-S 50mm/f1.4G (for extreme low light). i also have a AF-S 24-70mm/f2.8G for situations where i need to compose quickly but have not room to move about.
2) for the tele end, the AF-S 70-200mm/f2.8G VR1 or VR2 are fine. this is a 'must have'. allows me to get 'closer' to subjects, people without physically intruding into their 'private space'. the VR helps when shooting at low shutter speeds.
3) for the wide angle end, i chose the AF-S 14-24mm/f2.8G for the 'extra wide' to achieve near panaromic effects in some scenery and landscape shots. The 17-35 is also very useful.
4) although i own a SB-900, i do not bring it along on travels. instead i rely on the built-in flash for simple 'fill flash' needs, as i like to shoot with natural lighting wherever possible.

from what you mentioned, you just need to add a 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 to your 17-35 and 70-200, and you're done!

feel free to get in touch. welcome to the exciting world of FX shooting.

Fred

Hi Fred,
Thanx for the encouragement, felt better going for the items that I'm choosing.
Did thought about the 14-24mm till I read that it can't hold any filter, protective or ND..felt 'naked' even though I'm quite a careful user.
Besides, stitching is pretty easy now, that's the reason why I'm settling for the 17-35, although one can argue it'll never ever be the same with a 14-24.
The 50mm is exactly what I have in mind to complete 'IT', but I think that can wait while I get the skeletal setup ready.
Cheers buddy.

Btw, those shots are GREAT! Hope I can achieve it someday.

Last edited:
Hi Fred,
Thanx for the encouragement, felt better going for the items that I'm choosing.
Did thought about the 14-24mm till I read that it can't hold any filter, protective or ND..felt 'naked' even though I'm quite a careful user.
Besides, stitching is pretty easy now, that's the reason why I'm settling for the 17-35, although one can argue it'll never ever be the same with a 14-24.
The 50mm is exactly what I have in mind to complete 'IT', but I think that can wait while I get the skeletal setup ready.
Cheers buddy.

Btw, those shots are GREAT! Hope I can achieve it someday.

Stitching still will not give the same perspective distortion of a wider angle lens, but they are also very tricky to use. But it's your money and you will have to decide yourself.

Dear Friend, Happy New Year!
1. D700 is about 3 years old, the new models may be released in the near future.
2. AFS 17-35mm f2.8 ED is about 11 years old, design for use on film camera, the new 16-35mm f4 VR may be a better choice.
3. AFS 70-200mm f2.8 VR ll is the best of the best lens from Nikon, can't go without it.
4. The new 24-120mm f4 VR is also a good lens for travel too.

I have been using Nikon for about 30 years, and hoped that the system can meet your needs too.

Dear Friend, Happy New Year!
1. D700 is about 3 years old, the new models may be released in the near future.
2. AFS 17-35mm f2.8 ED is about 11 years old, design for use on film camera, the new 16-35mm f4 VR may be a better choice.
3. AFS 70-200mm f2.8 VR ll is the best of the best lens from Nikon, can't go without it.
4. The new 24-120mm f4 VR is also a good lens for travel too.

I have been using Nikon for about 30 years, and hoped that the system can meet your needs too.

thank you sir, for your kind input.
just heard(like hrs ago) that D700 would be discontinued also.:eek:
oh dear, sounds bad.
just sold my lens and the body is up for viewing later.
so we would have no idea when the release would be.
how am i to survive without a cam indefinetly?
yes, mind's set for the 70-200mm.
with this new information, looks like i'm in limbo.
hmm...
btw, looks like you have took photos for as long as i have worked.
does that make you older? haha.:D

if you don't want to buy a camera which is probably going to be discontinued soon and are set on nikon, get a D3100 or D90 for now, maybe 2nd hand and all your lenses until it comes out. Shouldn't be more than 3 months. D700 is an amazing camera which will last you years, if i wanted FX now i'd just right in and get one (with your money). Its a very capable camera.
I'd get a 16-35mm if i were you though and use the money saved from not buying the 17-35 for a 50mm.

oh dear, sounds bad.
hmm...

Should be quite soon. Canada is totally out of D700 already and indication is that no more are coming in. Many people are waiting for the D800... But the D700 is going for an very excellent price in Malaysia now.... after conversion around $2.5k SGD only...

Last edited:
oh dear, sounds bad.
hmm...

I am not so old, at least young at heart, got my first camera at about 20 ha ha…

Fortunately, you have not spend you money in the ending models.

Should be quite soon. Canada is totally out of D700 already and indication is that no more are coming in. Many people are waiting for the D800... But the D700 is going for an very excellent price in Malaysia now.... after conversion around $2.5k SGD only...

Sometimes if you had limited budget, it's good to purchase the ending models.

Like what DD123 said, a FX camera with $2.5K is the best value for FX camera ;)
And I could guess that the D700 replacement would be easily priced for S$3500-S$4000 in the opening sale.

Am I right to say when Nikon introduce a new model, the precedent model would usually be sold out and hard to find right?

Last edited:
Sometimes if you had limited budget, it's good to purchase the ending models.

Like what DD123 said, a FX camera with $2.5K is the best value for FX camera ;)
And I could guess that the D700 replacement would be easily priced for S$3500-S$4000 in the opening sale.

Agree. Thats why I got mine just last week, preowned but in great conditions and at a good price. An excellent camera will always be an excellent camera & pictures we took & loved years ago will be loved even now As with all things, prices will change & the D700 is a good value proposition now but of course, if TS like the latest & greatest, then should wait :)

Last edited:
To TS,

First, welcome to a new system. The D700 is a very good full-frame camera with good ISO performance and good enough speed for most photographic needs. It doesn't become a bad camera overnight just because D800 or D700s or whatever name Nikon is going to call it, is rumored to be announced this year.

For the sake of discussion, let's call the D700 successor D800.
If D800 is going to be announced in February, the shipment and General Availability (GA) most likely will be in Q3 or Aug/Sep time frame.

If D800 is going to be announced in August, then GA most likely just before Christmas.

If D800 is not going to be announced this year, what then? Keep waiting forever?

So my suggestion is go with D700 first. When D800 is GA, you can decide to upgrade or not.
D700 is already a very good camera. I personally don't think D800 is going to much better. Maybe improvement in some ISO performance (like D3s), better video than D7000, more MP (like D7000), ... etc.

Regarding the lens. I currently have this setup, D700, 17-35, 50, 70-200VR2 for travel. I still have a few other lens of course.

17-35 is good for landscape. Quite sharp (at least for my copy). I find 24 not wide enough sometimes for landscape. Plus I like to use filters, ND, CPL, GND, ..etc. So 14-24 is out for me. I can shoot in low-light conditions, so 16-35 is out for me as I need the speed and larger aperture.

50 1.4 is good at night, with D700 good ISO (I find 3200 acceptable but 1600 is mostly fine on the safe side), you do get quite a good setup.

I didn't get 24-70 because I prefers to have VR at that range and also, I typically shoot between 24-35 and 70-200 in events, so 24-70 is going to be under-utilized for me.

70-200VR2 is good. You will not regret getting this.

Alternative 1
If you do not need the speed and more concern over versatility than IQ, then consider:
16-35 f4 VR
24-120 f4 VR
or
28-300 f3.5-5.6 VR

Alternative 2
If you are into primes:
24 f1.4 or 20 f2.8
50 f1.4 or 50 f1.2 (MF)
85 f1.4D/G
105 f2.8
200 f2

I would choose 24, 50, 105 for traveling.

So you will realize in the original option and the 2nd alternate option, you will need 3 lens instead of 2 lens.

The only option you can do with 2 lens is the 1st alternate option. But you will have to sacrifice speed (which can be make up with VR and D700 ISO performance) but IQ is something that you can't make up for.

If you want to go with your original consideration, meaning to disregard the 35-70 range, I must say that for events, streets, ... 35 might be too wide. So 50 is still required for me.

That's no right or wrong answer. Just go with D700, 17-35 and 70-200 first and decide on the 50 later.

thank you guys,
for the welcome and really useful information.
will definetly consider your experience and advice seriously before jumping into anything.
have a prosperous and healthy rabbity year.
HUAT AH!!