starting my new business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink1

Dec 16, 2009
I'm new to this site and am in the early, early stages of starting my own small wedding photography business. any advice??

Yes. Read the "Photo Biz" section.

Here is my advise.... I was in your position about 19 months ago when I first moved to Singapore from Sydney.

First, you need to find out whether Wedding photography is what you want. Yes, $$$ seems ok for wedding but are you ready to put in all the work and spend on the professional tools that is quite hefty sum.

You may look at others and think wow, these guys are making huge $$$ from the wedding, but many of them start from where you are... and they are probably spend countless hours every day for a good 2-3 years before they get established when they do the right things.

Taking good pictures that sells and actually operating a dependable business is somehow very different so do take note of that.

If you "make it" happen after 6-12 months of hardwork, you will soon realise that when all the work are pilling up, $$$ is rarely the motivation point.

Many photographer will always think, ah, I can take the same or better pictures than such and such photographer who is establish... but first, you need to really get client to call you, and hopefully they will book and lastly you "exceeded" their expectation and hopefully they will recommend their friends and family to you.

The truth is, if you can't breathe, sleep and live and still enjoy photography... photography is hardwork.

Do yourself a favour, find your own motivation why you want to go into photography business and if that motivation is $$$, I would suggest you think twice.

Good luck with your new venture.

Regards,

Hart

Hi Pink1, not sure how far along you've come in your planning process, but I would certainly consider these fundamentals
1. What is your unique selling point? What makes your images different?
2. What is your operating cost and 5 year projection
3. What is your business model? Full time or side income? High end, middle or low end market?

Perhaps if you want to share your plans, people would be better able to assist you. Just asking for advice without context, it is too wide a topic to address.

Here is my advise.... I was in your position about 19 months ago when I first moved to Singapore from Sydney.

First, you need to find out whether Wedding photography is what you want. Yes, $$$ seems ok for wedding but are you ready to put in all the work and spend on the professional tools that is quite hefty sum.

You may look at others and think wow, these guys are making huge $$$ from the wedding, but many of them start from where you are... and they are probably spend countless hours every day for a good 2-3 years before they get established when they do the right things.

Taking good pictures that sells and actually operating a dependable business is somehow very different so do take note of that.

If you "make it" happen after 6-12 months of hardwork, you will soon realise that when all the work are pilling up, $$$ is rarely the motivation point.

Many photographer will always think, ah, I can take the same or better pictures than such and such photographer who is establish... but first, you need to really get client to call you, and hopefully they will book and lastly you "exceeded" their expectation and hopefully they will recommend their friends and family to you.

The truth is, if you can't breathe, sleep and live and still enjoy photography... photography is hardwork.

Do yourself a favour, find your own motivation why you want to go into photography business and if that motivation is $$$, I would suggest you think twice.

Good luck with your new venture.

Regards,

Hart

Hi Hart,

Thanks for sharing.

Now that we've heard the not-so-good side of wedding photography (it's not all about $, can be tough, stressful, costly), what are the good stuffs about it? What do you like about weddings, what are the positive returns and what motivates you to do it?

Since you've been here for the last 19 months, I think many newbies can benefit from hearing your experiences, eg how you start out and overcome the difficulties, etc.

Thanx!

Hi Hart,

Thanks for sharing.

Now that we've heard the not-so-good side of wedding photography (it's not all about $, can be tough, stressful, costly), what are the good stuffs about it? What do you like about weddings, what are the positive returns and what motivates you to do it?

Since you've been here for the last 19 months, I think many newbies can benefit from hearing your experiences, eg how you start out and overcome the difficulties, etc.

Thanx!

I have been in Singapore for 2 years and only start running the business 19 months ago. I left Sydney and all my business 2 years ago as I lost my younger brother suddenly about 2.5 years ago to Anemia so life wasn't all happy... Still daunting to re-live the moments when things happen.

My motivation is rather selfish, that is to keep myself happy.

Soon, I realise that that Money don't bring my brother back, and certainly Money can't buy happiness, but yes, it makes things comfortable.

Also I soon realise that to best way to make myself happy is to make others happy.

So I focus all my energy to be happy... I do things that makes me happy...

Here is what makes me happy...
1. The sound of giggle from Children
2. A smile of parents who is happy seeing their children happy
3. A smile of parents who is crying happy tears from the images I took for them....

If I have a gift that could make people happy, then I should use it... I thank God for giving me a heart to do so...

I just read something very interesting today which I think it put me into perspective...

"All you need is a Heart, the rest is easy" and I think it fits well on how I do things.

I think the above contribute to my success...

However, in terms of business, for those who are thinking of starting, you really need to find the true motivation. Short term and Long term.

Even if I give you step by step instruction on how to start up a business, it will be total disaster to even think about following it as every business is different. But what i can help is to make sure you understand the motivation behind starting out the business.

You can learn photography technique, you can learn business strategy, marketing and so on... but without true motivation, it is almost running aimlessly in the dark.

I hope the above helps...

Regards,

Hart

I'm new to this site and am in the early, early stages of starting my own small wedding photography business. any advice??

sorry. instead asking for outright advice, why dont you ask questions to show that you have put in thoughts into your business. dont expect to be spoonfed. it is afterall your business and if you dont care about it who will?

examples of questions - do i need to rent an office for studio? will location make a difference? shall i focus on studio or actual day wedding? how much to charge? shall i charge by hour? what should i give my clients? i can think of whole list.

wonderful advice. :)

I learnt a lot from it as well. Thank you.
I have been in Singapore for 2 years and only start running the business 19 months ago. I left Sydney and all my business 2 years ago as I lost my younger brother suddenly about 2.5 years ago to Anemia so life wasn't all happy... Still daunting to re-live the moments when things happen.

Soon, I realise that that Money don't bring my brother back, and certainly Money can't buy happiness, but yes, it makes things comfortable.

Also I soon realise that to best way to make myself happy is to make others happy.

3. A smile of parents who is crying happy tears from the images I took for them....

If I have a gift that could make people happy, then I should use it... I thank God for giving me a heart to do so...

I just read something very interesting today which I think it put me into perspective...

"All you need is a Heart, the rest is easy" and I think it fits well on how I do things.

However, in terms of business, for those who are thinking of starting, you really need to find the true motivation. Short term and Long term.

Even if I give you step by step instruction on how to start up a business, it will be total disaster to even think about following it as every business is different. But what i can help is to make sure you understand the motivation behind starting out the business.

You can learn photography technique, you can learn business strategy, marketing and so on... but without true motivation, it is almost running aimlessly in the dark.

Regards,

Hart

If advice is needed, you may not be ready to start a business in this field. i would look into compliments instead as there are an over supply of new uprising talented PG. It would require more creative output to stand out. By the growing numbers,it would only drop the current market value further and thus challenging to keep a business afloat. WPN got it rite.. cotton carrier systems, prokit light modifiers, ep 1 stickers etc are the effects of the sudden surge in consumer dslrs. I would suggest heading in that direction and you may get your returns faster then being a very good established photographer.

Regards,

Hart

Advice from one of the finest I know.... :thumbsup:
Happy new year btw Hart!

perservere all the way to the end.

too many of my friends started but in the end all went back to their original jobs.
it's simply too saturated a market.

why choose wedding???

Hi Pink1, not sure how far along you've come in your planning process, but I would certainly consider these fundamentals
1. What is your unique selling point? What makes your images different?
2. What is your operating cost and 5 year projection
3. What is your business model? Full time or side income? High end, middle or low end market?

Perhaps if you want to share your plans, people would be better able to assist you. Just asking for advice without context, it is too wide a topic to address.

If advice is needed, you may not be ready to start a business in this field. i would look into compliments instead as there are an over supply of new uprising talented PG. It would require more creative output to stand out. By the growing numbers,it would only drop the current market value further and thus challenging to keep a business afloat. WPN got it rite.. cotton carrier systems, prokit light modifiers, ep 1 stickers etc are the effects of the sudden surge in consumer dslrs. I would suggest heading in that direction and you may get your returns faster then being a very good established photographer.

why choose wedding???

Maybe you should read my blog dedicated about starting a business.

Its not all done yet and I will add more as I have more time to write...

http://tomatobiz.blogspot.com/

Good luck.

Hart

Hi Pink1...welcome to ClubSnap.

Not sure what exactly you wanted to know but I compile a list for you.

(1) Before starting out, go through your finances and see how much you need in terms of buying camera and the necessary accessories.
(2) Then go through your finances again and see how much you will be left after purchases and whether it can last you for the next 6 to 8 months without any income.
(3) Assuming you already have (1) and have taken care of (2) then the next thing is;
(4) Read here: http://www.business.gov.sg/EN/HowToGuide/rl_guides_8StepsStartUp.htm

It is because business is a personal thing involving many things like passion, satisfaction, money and competition in a very small pie, there is a possibility that your competitor will ensure that you don't succeed.

Like all businesses, in order for clients to choose you over others is your unique services. What can you offer that so many Pros before you cannot offer? If I am a client on a tight budget who wants the sky but will only pay you the earth for your services, then what can you give that will delight me and exceed my expectations.

Let what "ckung" said; what is your business model?

Feel free to express your plans and intention. We have walked these path and most of us wouldn't mind sharing some tips with you.

Lastly, if you at this stage is asking for advise, there is a big chance that you are not ready and if you do embark on this venture, there is a likely element of failure. Speaking of failure, how resilent are you in bouncing back and tackle it again?

Hi Pink1...welcome to ClubSnap.

Not sure what exactly you wanted to know but I compile a list for you.

(1) Before starting out, go through your finances and see how much you need in terms of buying camera and the necessary accessories.
(2) Then go through your finances again and see how much you will be left after purchases and whether it can last you for the next 6 to 8 months without any income.
(3) Assuming you already have (1) and have taken care of (2) then the next thing is;
(4) Read here: http://www.business.gov.sg/EN/HowToGuide/rl_guides_8StepsStartUp.htm

It is because business is a personal thing involving many things like passion, satisfaction, money and competition in a very small pie, there is a possibility that your competitor will ensure that you don't succeed.

Like all businesses, in order for clients to choose you over others is your unique services. What can you offer that so many Pros before you cannot offer? If I am a client on a tight budget who wants the sky but will only pay you the earth for your services, then what can you give that will delight me and exceed my expectations.

Let what "ckung" said; what is your business model?

Feel free to express your plans and intention. We have walked these path and most of us wouldn't mind sharing some tips with you.

Lastly, if you at this stage is asking for advise, there is a big chance that you are not ready and if you do embark on this venture, there is a likely element of failure. Speaking of failure, how resilent are you in bouncing back and tackle it again?

Good advice! This sums it up pretty well. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.