Starting a Olympus C750UZ thread - on usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Den64

Hi,

I would like to start a new thread for Olympus C750 to share information on all related issues since I could not find any web site for that. Let me start first:

I find that the focusing is not very good. I've yet to try the spot AF. Any one has the same problem?

When I press the shutter button half way, the LCD kind of dim a bit. Is this normal?

Taking moving subjects is also not easy. Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Hi Den64,

I'm using the C750 too.

This camera produces very sharp pictures in bright lighting conditions. However, I find that when it gets dark, it becomes harder to focus. Furthermore the viewfinder is also using LCD which does not have enough contrast for night shots.

If you are taking night scenery with tripod and long exposures, can use manual focus and set to infinity.

Nonetheless, its still performs pretty well when taking night photography.
Check out some photos of New York City which I took when I first got this camera. Some of the night scenes of the Manhattan skyline turned out pretty well even without using a tripod! (Support against the wall/fence)

http://www.gopictures.com/public/folder.asp?User_ID=ldavid&Folder_ID=1

BTW, when you press and hold the shutter button halfway, it performs autofocus and exposure. The LCD will "brighten" up when the camera completes its exposure calculations.

Cheers,
Davey

I hope my basic C750 review can help to contribute some useful information :cool:

It is a good camera esp. with 10x zoom for nature and closeup ... below are some of the shots taken during the review :)

click the image to enlarge

bought C750 on Monday for $710 (camera) + $190 (256mb) + 4% = $936. Actually a bit surprise when he said $710 (suspected that the quote might be for C740 or C730). Chk the cam on the spot and took a few shot and found nothing wrong, so bought it. That night, on closer inspection, found that i bad pixel (always green) on the lower centre of the LCD screen, but other than that, nothing wrong.

Now learning to use the camera. After one day of playing, one thing I found out is that whenever the camera is turn on to A/S/M, it is always on A. Is there anyway to default to S or M?

That is one minus of the quick dial. U'll need to go into the option to set the default A,S or M mode for this dial position.

macross said:
After one day of playing, one thing I found out is that whenever the camera is turn on to A/S/M, it is always on A. Is there anyway to default to S or M?
You can read up the manual on page 137 "All Reset - Saving the camera's settings" or go to Mode Menu > Setup > All Reset > set it to OFF ;)

macross said:
bought C750 on Monday for $710 (camera) + $190 (256mb) + 4% = $936. Actually a bit surprise when he said $710 (suspected that the quote might be for C740 or C730). Chk the cam on the spot and took a few shot and found nothing wrong, so bought it. That night, on closer inspection, found that i bad pixel (always green) on the lower centre of the LCD screen, but other than that, nothing wrong.

Now learning to use the camera. After one day of playing, one thing I found out is that whenever the camera is turn on to A/S/M, it is always on A. Is there anyway to default to S or M?

Not sure if it is due to the 1 bad pixel, but that's a very good price! Actually, having a bad pixel on the LCD viewfinder is not so bad, so long as its not on the CCD! BTW, where did you get your camera from?

Cheers,
Davey

Davey said:
Not sure if it is due to the 1 bad pixel, but that's a very good price! Actually, having a bad pixel on the LCD viewfinder is not so bad, so long as its not on the CCD! BTW, where did you get your camera from?

Cheers,
Davey

The shop is Hoon Cheong Electronics in Sim Lim Square. It is listed on the Olympus Website:
http://www.e.olympus.com.sg/web/home/webhome.nsf/fsgdl?openform&area=Sim Lim

The shop accept cash only for the price quoted. As for payment by ATM, they charge 1% more!

As for the green dot, I did not see it on in the evf, so I think it's on the LCD vf. Anyway, I will pay a visit to Olympus Studio and chk it out.

Can't do much as it is written on the receipt that
'Goods sold are not returnable, refundable or exchangeable',
'Please examined are (typo, should be AND) received the above-mentioned goods in good order and condition as no claim will be considered after delivery'.

macross said:
The shop accept cash only for the price quoted. As for payment by ATM, they charge 1% more!

I mean they charge 1% more if pay by NETs. I must be sleeping just now.

That was a very good buy. I paid more than close to $900 for the camera with one 128M xD. My camera has two dead sopts (green spots) but that's ok with me. I use the view finder most of the time because I'm used to using SLR. Besides, it save space too. I'll wait for the SLR digital to drop in price and improve in its feature before I get one. So, for the time being, C750 is good enough. I'll remember the shop when I'm getting my next digital.

Sob... did i kenna conned? Just got C750 two days ago... paid $810 for the cam and $130 for 128 xD card. :cry:

Still playing around with the camera... totally lost with so much new features! Was previously using only the ixus 330. Big jump for me... :eek:

illustrious said:
Sob... did i kenna conned? Just got C750 two days ago... paid $810 for the cam and $130 for 128 xD card. :cry:

Still playing around with the camera... totally lost with so much new features! Was previously using only the ixus 330. Big jump for me... :eek:

Me got my C750 bout 2 months back... after reading the review done by megaweb...

paid $820 for the cam and $90 for a Oly 128xD card!

Im generally very happy with this camera...! :D but one set back, i guess, bad auto focusing when in low light condition.
can't get the focus to be on the subject that i want...!

anyone has any idea on how to counter this? like any manual selection of focus point??

cheers

SuRfTeC said:
Me got my C750 bout 2 months back... after reading the review done by megaweb...

paid $820 for the cam and $90 for a Oly 128xD card!

Im generally very happy with this camera...! :D but one set back, i guess, bad auto focusing when in low light condition.
can't get the focus to be on the subject that i want...!

anyone has any idea on how to counter this? like any manual selection of focus point??

cheers

You can do Manual Focus (MF) by holding down the "OK" button and selecting MF. It will then show a "zoomed in" window in the centre for you to do MF. However, problem is at night the contrast on the LCD is so bad that you can't quite make out whether your MF is correct or not! Need to shift the focus in/out quite a few times to estimate the sharpest focus setting.

Cheers,
David

macross said:

Go to Settings --> Cam --> A/S/M --> Set to whatever u want to be as default~

Davey said:
You can do Manual Focus (MF) by holding down the "OK" button and selecting MF. It will then show a "zoomed in" window in the centre for you to do MF. However, problem is at night the contrast on the LCD is so bad that you can't quite make out whether your MF is correct or not! Need to shift the focus in/out quite a few times to estimate the sharpest focus setting.

Cheers,
David

thanks davey...

will try using this manual focus mode...!
i've been trying to figure out how to change the settings of the camera for the focus point part... :think:

example... i placed the subject towards the left of the picture, half trigger shutter... but the focus would tends to go for the middle...! Is there anyway to set the camera, like fix it maybe at the left, so that everytime i half trigger, the subject on the left is in focus? :think:

anyone to advise on this??

cheers

SuRfTeC said:
thanks davey...

will try using this manual focus mode...!
i've been trying to figure out how to change the settings of the camera for the focus point part... :think:

example... i placed the subject towards the left of the picture, half trigger shutter... but the focus would tends to go for the middle...! Is there anyway to set the camera, like fix it maybe at the left, so that everytime i half trigger, the subject on the left is in focus? :think:

anyone to advise on this??

cheers

There are quite a number of features that are found in the REFERENCE manual, and not the BASIC manual.

The BASIC manual is the printed booklet that comes with your camera, the REFERENCE manual is a PDF document that is found on the CD-ROM.

e.g.
For manual focusing, its in the REFERENCE manual page 77.
For changing AF focusing mark area, its in the REFERENCE manual page 74.

Should print out this manual if you want to master all the features!

Cheers,
David

Focusing IMHO is one of the major down point of the C-750 camera, espeicially so under low light condition.

If you are using an powerful external flash, you could set the F-number in your camera to F8, and set to manual focus with focusing distance set to about 2m (the approx. distance of your object from the camera).
Most shots I tried turn out to be quite acceptable.

Cheers.
Raymond

C750 is really a perfect tool for my travel photography needs.

For taking care of low light focusing problem, need a combination of steady hand, looking for vertical contrast object on behalf of the camera, manual focus with high F number. Or pay the $ to get a Metz 32MZ with Oly adapter.
Life is completely different after that.

Light is always a friend and a enemy of photography

www.pbase.com/chyeheng

chyeheng said:
C750 is really a perfect tool for my travel photography needs.

For taking care of low light focusing problem, need a combination of steady hand, looking for vertical contrast object on behalf of the camera, manual focus with high F number. Or pay the $ to get a Metz 32MZ with Oly adapter.
Life is completely different after that.

Light is always a friend and a enemy of photography

www.pbase.com/chyeheng

hi saw ur pics taken from c5050 no noise at all , i am wondering is c750 night shot as good as c5050?

Status
Not open for further replies.