Starting a business...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangles112

Aug 31, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Visit site
Fellow snappers,

I have been an avid photographer for just over a year now, after graduating university with a degree in screen production, and I have begun to build a business based on photoimaging. But alas, I am in a bind. I have limited experience, but I believe I have the drive and vision to be great at what I love. I have always been thirsty for knowledge and nothing has quenched it yet. I keep reading and studying, but I can't help be a little scared. I have already enquired to nearly all the studios and photographers in my city, but no one wants to take on free work experience staff. No matter how much I know, no one will hire a photographer without a portfolio. I am interested in wedding, advertising/corporate, and portrait photography. But without a portfolio, I don't think I have much of a chance surviving. If anyone has any advice on how the started out, or how they made their first portfolio, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share some of your valuable knowledge with me.

I also am not sure how to market myself either. Advertising costs a lot of money, which I do not have right now after spending quite an amount of my own savings on a studio flash kit. Are there any idea on how to present myself to the public? Marketing stragegies?

Thank you in advance...

Firstly I'd suggest you write a full blown business plan. That will take you several months to do and will answer all of your questions.

Ian

Tangles112 said:
Fellow snappers,

I have been an avid photographer for just over a year now, after graduating university with a degree in screen production, and I have begun to build a business based on photoimaging. But alas, I am in a bind. I have limited experience, but I believe I have the drive and vision to be great at what I love. I have always been thirsty for knowledge and nothing has quenched it yet. I keep reading and studying, but I can't help be a little scared. I have already enquired to nearly all the studios and photographers in my city, but no one wants to take on free work experience staff. No matter how much I know, no one will hire a photographer without a portfolio. I am interested in wedding, advertising/corporate, and portrait photography. But without a portfolio, I don't think I have much of a chance surviving. If anyone has any advice on how the started out, or how they made their first portfolio, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share some of your valuable knowledge with me.

I also am not sure how to market myself either. Advertising costs a lot of money, which I do not have right now after spending quite an amount of my own savings on a studio flash kit. Are there any idea on how to present myself to the public? Marketing stragegies?

Thank you in advance...

The fastest way to build your port folio might be giving free services. Many I know will give you a try if it is free. You can also try community centre events too...

PS: the free mentioned above means they will bare the cost, and maybe give you an Ang Bao. Not totally free.... however, don't expect an Ang Bao for community work....

Tangles112 said:
Fellow snappers,

Thank you in advance...

beside providing FREE or Low Cost services to build clients base. You may
consider having a website of what u have done so far. Should u need any
web related services, I could help u a little with that.

yup....do free for friends and family and related stuff...haha.....slowly build up...ya reputation will grow..

Agreed with the replys on building your portfolio, u need the portfolio to showcase your drive, talent and creativity.

Once you have that, it makes it much easier to promote / sell your services.

thank yoj so much everyone. I have already offered my services for free, and will keep doing so until I can achieve the portfolio that I want. I am also asking some of my friends to see if they want to dress up in their wedding dresses again, so I can practice and maybe put some pictures in my portfolio. Thanks again :) you have all been a great help.

Hi Digistar,

do you have any idea how much it costs to setup a website that includes money transactions? Meaning that the website will include transactions such as Worldpay/Visa/Mastercard and a database for storing customer informations. Something like ebay and such, in short, Ecommerce.

Status
Not open for further replies.