Stars in Singapore

ratsock

Mar 11, 2012
Anyone got some good suggestions for where in Singapore you can take starfield pictures? Most of the island has too much light pollution from the city to see any stars.

Already repeatedly asked. And repeatedly answered: Nowhere. You need to get out of singapore.

There is in Singapore but can only reach by boat

Horsburgh (Pulau Batu Puteh, Pedra Blanca)

or try some other off-shore singapore sites:

Lighthouses of Singapore

You will still get a lot of light pollution. You really need to venture out much much further.

actually there are places u can see stars, late at nite.. at those marina bay construction side, further in, quite dark.

actually there are places u can see stars, late at nite.. at those marina bay construction side, further in, quite dark.

That's nothing. Compared to what you can see when you get away from Singapore...

Isn't there an observatory near Jurong East? (The Science Center). I would imagine that if there's an observatory, there should be some star visibility in that area?

Isn't there an observatory near Jurong East? (The Science Center). I would imagine that if there's an observatory, there should be some star visibility in that area?

Not to the extent that is desirable. Honestly, to me, the science centre there is mainly a family outing place, with the telescope used mainly for eclipses, planetary observations, etc. You cannot get a real starfield view there.

ratsock said:

Seeing stars and taking photos of stars sky are entirely different. Ur camera sensor is more sensitive than ur eyes when it comes to the light pollution.

As Rashae put it, nothing like what you get outside of this area is absolutely true.

Was at a place 4 hours drive from a major city. Its over a mountain range and 2 hours into a desert reserve.

The difference? You see stars with no space between them vs here where you see space with no stars

If you want to find places in Singapore, you can consider places like Lim Chu Kang area for star gazing. Somewhere further deeper from where Sungei Gedong is. I went there to watch the Leonids. But trust me, nothing beats the sights you can see from Malaysia or our offshore islands. ;D

Not entirely implausible through post-processing, by stacking multiple exposures consisting of light and dark frames (with optional flat and bias frames) in order to increase the signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) before adjusting the curves in photoshop, most of the air glow from light pollution can be "filtered off" revealing even the Milky Way from Singapore.

Out in the South China Sea, onboard a ship late at night. I assure you will be amazed by what you see. You probably see only 5% of stars in Singapore.

PS: I am not joking :)

Last edited:
Get on a cruise. When it reaches South China Sea, you will be amazed. Not only that, you might be able to see shooting stars. That was my best stars gazing experience when i was in the Navy, whole ship was pitch dark and stars were the only light source. :)

Get on a cruise. When it reaches South China Sea, you will be amazed. Not only that, you might be able to see shooting stars. That was my best stars gazing experience when i was in the Navy, whole ship was pitch dark and stars were the only light source. :)

but the cruise ship doesn't keeps still... quite difficult if u shooting long exposure.

Go poonhill. jokingg

you can try lim chu kang lane 9A

I agree with most that the light pollution in Singapore is horrenderous, but don't let that stop you.

You can definitely still get good quality pictures, so long as you're patient and hardworking enough.

Example 1 (taken outside my window - directly opposite is another HDB block, so I just shot at the small spacing in between):
set1-2011-06-22.jpg

Example 2 (closeup of the Butterfly cluster seen in the left side of the above pic):
set1-2-2011-06-22.jpg

Note though, I used a home-made barndoor tracker to get long exposures without star trails. Multiple exposures stacked in DSS. But hey, still possible! Don't give up!

end of chua chu kang cemetary area near Ama Keng Camp is a good isolated area while the other one in the past used to be on the north western end of Pulau Ubin

we once overnight'ed on Saint John's Island as well

but best to get to much higher altitudes and clearer air

Last edited:
that reminds me of my Alishan trip last year... the stars are amazing up there!

Or when I was on Kilimanjaro... We were exhausted but didn't want to sleep. The milky way and stars (lots of shooting stars too) were amazing. You had a hard time finding areas without stars.