Staring Faces

Status
Not open for further replies.

aperture

Aug 11, 2005
Katong
360.yahoo.com
Took this at Bayon, Angkor Thom, Cambodia. Hope u like it.

Angkor10.jpg

Hmmm... It's definitely interesting, but I didn't really like it. I guess the front statue is a little too dark and the back one a little too bright and unclear... doesn't give me the immediate feel that it's faces. Feels more like a blur sun-lit statue (focus more on the background). A bit too much space on the left too...

But that's my personal amateur opinion of course. Hope you don't mind!:)

Bro, show us more from your trip leh.

jiemin83 said:
Hmmm... It's definitely interesting, but I didn't really like it. I guess the front statue is a little too dark and the back one a little too bright and unclear... doesn't give me the immediate feel that it's faces. Feels more like a blur sun-lit statue (focus more on the background). A bit too much space on the left too...

But that's my personal amateur opinion of course. Hope you don't mind!:)

No worries...no insult taken. Well I threw the face in the background out of focus deliberately, so that it does not compete with the face in the foreground. I was hoping to achieve a more mysterious feel to the pic. Obviously didn't get the effect that I was hoping for...;p

Thanks for voicing ur opinion anyway. Appreciate that.

Hey aperture,

enjoyed your Cambodia series, esp the children of Cambodia. Good job done!:thumbsup:

aperture said:
Hey bro...nice to hear from you. You can see the rest of the Cambodia photos over here;

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/242344/index.html

and here;

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/244295/index.html

Great people series YL, now i understand what your focus was on this trip.

Did not see the "Lonely Planet man" from Tha Prohm in your pics, maybe it's his off day? :bsmilie:

A total newcomer to photography here, so I could quite possibly talking through my hat.

What if the statue in the background was in focus, instead of the darker one in the foreground? I spent some time staring and the photograph, and realised I couldn't decide which was the focal point; the former drew attention because it is washed in light, yet the latter is in focus.

Perhaps with the darker, slightly unfocused shape to the right of the picture, a strong focal point (the face at the back) would have been established while retaining the mysterious feel?

podeam said:
A total newcomer to photography here, so I could quite possibly talking through my hat.

What if the statue in the background was in focus, instead of the darker one in the foreground? I spent some time staring and the photograph, and realised I couldn't decide which was the focal point; the former drew attention because it is washed in light, yet the latter is in focus.

Perhaps with the darker, slightly unfocused shape to the right of the picture, a strong focal point (the face at the back) would have been established while retaining the mysterious feel?

Hmmm..... I actually have another similiar shot which has the face in the backgound in focus while the one in the front totally out of the focal plane. But I personally didnt like it as much as this one due to the fact that the face in front looks like an indistinct mass of black rock which totally distracts the viewer (or at least my view :bsmilie: ). Thanks for sparing some thoughts on this photo anyway.

clicknick said:
Great people series YL, now i understand what your focus was on this trip.

Did not see the "Lonely Planet man" from Tha Prohm in your pics, maybe it's his off day? :bsmilie:

Thanks. Lonely planet man? :dunno:

By the way, which edition of LP?

aperture said:
Hmmm..... I actually have another similiar shot which has the face in the backgound in focus while the one in the front totally out of the focal plane. But I personally didnt like it as much as this one due to the fact that the face in front looks like an indistinct mass of black rock which totally distracts the viewer (or at least my view :bsmilie: ). Thanks for sparing some thoughts on this photo anyway.
Heh, thank you for bothering to listen to a total newb!

podeam said:
Heh, thank you for bothering to listen to a total newb!

Don't worry about being a newbie lah, its just a term u give yourself. We are all learning...and will never stop learning...

aperture said:
No leh, I didnt see him. He was probably on leave...:bsmilie:

Or maybe made enough money from the free publicity he got and retired now.

Status
Not open for further replies.