Starhub's "one minute minimum charge"

ChengB

Feb 26, 2010
Tampines
The cost of owning a mobile phone is getting higher and higher. This new policy smells of money-sucking. Most calls I make last less than a minute, so its quite 'bohua' for me. And as for "network maintainence, upgrade and expansion", all I can say is that I have not seen my improvements in my coverage, even having zero reception in my house at tampines. Lets hope that the other telcos don't follow suit. :(

Starhub to implement a 'one-minute minimum charge'

Link edited.

Last edited:
The irony... Starhub's selling point was "per second billing" not so long ago... And I think the rest followed suit? Now it is also the first to discard this???

According to them its 13 years ago. But since (IMO) most calls last less than a minute, they earn lor.

According to them its 13 years ago. But since (IMO) most calls last less than a minute, they earn lor.

Actually nowadays I think it's the data limits that's the killer, not the talktime.. Every month the bill comes and I don't use even 20% of the talktime. I would probably push for removal of the ridiculously low data limits (given that webpages are getting more and more content heavy), instead of this. :)

Actually I've never exceeded my data limit (1GB on blackberry plan) on starhub. That's probably because I dont stream videos and all. Usually only surf FB, twitter, CS and play some games, so the data cap of 4G won't really affect me. But in the case of calls, I wont be able to make more than 100 calls on the cheaper voice plans without exceeding the limit. It seems like its a move by starhub to force its users to upgrade to the next higher price plan, which costs almost twice as much a month. Not a very smart marketing move. :dunno:

Nowadays hardly people will call each other. Mostly those whatsapp, wechat etc... kills talk time. That's why starhub go this way, i think other might too, soon...

I am surprised that MDA allows Starhub to get away with this, almost like a day-time robbery! Where is the consumer-protection law? It's a double-edge sword, people will be forced to use more whatsapp to communicate! The days of "Where are you? , I am here, Open the gate, etc... are over!

Time to jump ship when contract ends! :bsmilie:

When you let market forces decide on pricing and at the same time control who is allowed to participate, it is an unbalance game.

We don't hear cleaners want to be paid $1000 before they will take on the job. Haha

Irrelevant to me. Not using Starhub for mobile.

I think it is their new system only accept 4 digits. Hh:mm per second need another 2 digits.