Starhub vs Singnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bLight

Mar 28, 2004
Singapore
www.flickr.com
My maxonline contract with starhub is about to end. I check around and found out that Singnet now has a lowest plan price of sgd38 per month. That's quite a bit cheaper than my Maxonline 2000's sgd58 monthly. Should I switch?

Singnet 1500kbps
Maxonline 2000 - 2mbps DL, 256kbps UL

Is there a big performance different, or is there some hidden cost at Singnet's plans?

Please share your experience/thought.

:)

heard complaints that singnet users always get packet checked. many people kena letter liao.

Clown said:
heard complaints that singnet users always get packet checked. many people kena letter liao.

What's that?

what ever that is, my previous Singnet on ADSL always drop line (disconnected) and even when I did all the recommended actions:

-put micro-filter
-new telephone line less than xx metres
-don't connect phone to the same plug.. :angry: this was a stupid recommendation but I did it anyway and tested for a few nights. It didnt' help so I connected the phone back.
-do lots of funny config on my comp with the operator over the phone.

all didnt' work out. Everytime I call helpline, they tell me everything 'OK' on their side, i should check (please refer list above again) :angry:

I changed to Starhub. No problems already. No more disconnection.

Just to borrow your thread.
Will subscribers with starhub get some 'benefits' for continuing the subscription as compared to reapplying and getting the freebies?

yanyewkay said:
what ever that is, my previous Singnet on ADSL always drop line (disconnected) and even when I did all the recommended actions:

-put micro-filter
-don't connect phone to the same plug.. :angry: this was a stupid recommendation but I did it anyway and tested for a few nights. It didnt' help so I connected the phone back.

all didnt' work out. Everytime I call helpline, they tell me everything 'OK' on their side, i should check (please refer list above again) :angry:

It happened to me and I did the same thing too.

lui002 said:
It happened to me and I did the same thing too.

On the contrary, I did the reverse. The cable was problematic and slow. I switched to Singnet 3 years ago. Did the setup according to Singnet instruction and put up wireless and no problem so far. Speed has been consistent to the plan I subscribe to. Will continue with SingNet.

My experience is probably unique here. Well, why not take the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" approach?

firestone said:
Just to borrow your thread.
Will subscribers with starhub get some 'benefits' for continuing the subscription as compared to reapplying and getting the freebies?

yes, everytime you continue and sign up for another 2 years, they give you some freebies like digicam, notebook computer, gateway router or whatever.

IMO, they should give the discount outright and not by way of these freebies, which jacks up the cost.

Also want to ask, is there a promtion for starhub maxonline during the coming IT show?:)

Dont know why...I still prefer to use Starhub Maxonline...though I can get Singnet Broadband at a very attractive rate...;p

yanyewkay said:

-put micro-filter

Wow, drop line still happen now. This was happened to me 3 year ago. I did all the recommedation above but didn;t help. They always give the same excuse saying that everything is fine. Problem maybe telephone line inside my house. They charged me $20 each time when they come to my house to check the line. All remedial action also didn;t help at all. In the end, I switched to Starhub Maxonline. No problem at all except line was cut once when I forgot the pay......:bsmilie:

vinlee said:
Wow, drop line still happen now. This was happened to me 3 year ago. I did all the recommedation above but didn;t help. They always give the same excuse saying that everything is fine. Problem maybe telephone line inside my house. They charged me $20 each time when they come to my house to check the line. All remedial action also didn;t help at all. In the end, I switched to Starhub Maxonline. No problem at all except line was cut once when I forgot the pay......:bsmilie:

You should have rattle them more. I did .. everyday for 2 weeks in the wee morning (Singnet and Singtel). In the end, I got my wire change for free and the ADSL works fine.

I think all sg ISP services are equally bad, but again, like the above user mention, if it aint broken , why fix it ?

DOnt starhub or singnet....wait for M1:bsmilie:

yanyewkay said:

-put micro-filter

I had the same, very same issue also:bsmilie: Finally I got so pissed, I told them must be something wrong with thier line. Finally they checked at the switchboard of the flat and indeed something was wrong. After that ok liao.

smallaperture said:
yes, everytime you continue and sign up for another 2 years, they give you some freebies like digicam, notebook computer, gateway router or whatever.

IMO, they should give the discount outright and not by way of these freebies, which jacks up the cost.
there's good reason for this, they can recognise the revenue (which boost their results) and the vouchers given to their related companies can in return boost sales (e.g. 500 voucher for $1000 phone)

*DING*DING*the score is now...
singtel : 3
starhub : 1

where higher score means higher number of problems met. :D

I'm using Singtel..last I'm time paying 40+ now become 55. Must be because of the "free upgrade" from 256kps to 512kbps....

If not wrong there's also a "discont" fee for Singnet.

Whatever it is I'm switching to starhub once my contract is up.

yanyewkay said:
*DING*DING*the score is now...
singtel : 3
starhub : 1

where higher score means higher number of problems met. :D
Starhub is much slower than singtel when the number of connections from the block is very high. My block in toa payoh has 30 floors and with many of my neighbours having broadband and those with Starhub say that it is very slow.

I had some problems with singtel line initially around three years , this was fixed and there has not been any problems since then.

I have been using singnet ADSL from 256 auto upgrade to 512 to now new plan of 1500MBps ....i dun think is $38....or perhaps price have changed? think mine is $58 /month. from previous hse to current hse it works ok. So far....mm.... i pretty happy with it lah, but the tech support is CMI one...that time i connect router certain things i called n ask is as good as not asking!

But recently my fren switched from qala to singnet adsl....have similar problems as those pple at the top^^

They give freebies and not direct discount...is simple rule, e.g A laptop for us is worth $1500 but to them....they maybe getting it at $1k ? ... So is like giving us $1.5 k while only spending $1k...however if they give discount, is 1cent for 1cent! Heeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.