Starhub - Two Modems in one House?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

I already have an existing Starhub Maxonline in my house. Its currently connected to a cable modem (duh) and then to a router.

Of late, the download needs in the house are increasing and I would like to get a dedicated bandwidth in one of the rooms (which is still using a router as present).

I have the following ideas:

1. Ordering another Maxonline account and use this for that dedicated room (ie paying for two accounts in the same house)

2. Just buy a cable modem from Starhub or elsewhere (S$100 or so i heard) and just connect it to a spare cable point in that dedicated room?

The question is, with two cable modems (instead of 1), would the bandwidth increase?

Or for (1), if I order two accounts, would it make any difference in terms of speed? Or it will be the same?

Would appreciate some advice.

you need another acc for the new model. so your 1 & 2 is the same thing

Starhub needs you to submit the cable modem's MAC id so you'll have to have two subscriptions, one of each cable modem. W/o the MAC id given to Starhub, you cannot use the cable modem as they won't recognize it.

Don't expect twice the speed for down/up loads with two subscriptions as a lot depends on the neighborhood you're in and whether the access is outside of Singapore.

You're still tapping from the same "longkang" ... so this roughly gives you an idea whether a speed increase is observed... suggest you opt for MOL ultimate to solve the "speed" issue.

Option 3:
Get a bb account with some other provider. This will give you:
a. Increased bandwidth
b. In case something happens to starhub (undersea cable cut, maintenance .. etc), you still have a seperate route to the public internet.

i second this suggestion.

if speed is your criteria and you're willing to pay for 2 subscriptions, then go for one with another ISP.

this will also allow you to compare speeds and it may give you a better idea of which to stay with.

that speed is alittle overkill... probably won't achieve anywhere near that speed as internet speed is dependent on many factors.

Just need to upgrade to Ultimate plan to solve your problem.

the 25mbps or Ultimate plan would not solve my problems simply because of this. Of the 4 rooms which are sharing the router now, one room is a big hog of resources - always downloading videos and what not through file sharing programs, resulting in a slowdown in the other 3 rooms. I'm in one of the other 3 and I want a fixed speed for myself. Upgrading to Ultimate plan does not help cos the big hog will just hog more by downloading 5x the number of videos instead of the usual x.

Any other suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.

just came back from PC show to sign up for the max online and I asked the question for you. 1 house can only have 1 modem for 1 account. If you want 2 modems you'll need 2 accounts. :D hope it helps. They told me the system recognises the MAC Id for the accounting stuff...

hmm i see,

well i guess the nxt qn is, with 2 modems, would i get double the speed? or if the hogger hogs all on the first modem, my second modem also gets trickles? I'm ok with paying for 2 accounts.

yanyewkay said:
just came back from PC show to sign up for the max online and I asked the question for you. 1 house can only have 1 modem for 1 account. If you want 2 modems you'll need 2 accounts. :D hope it helps. They told me the system recognises the MAC Id for the accounting stuff...

i don't think the speed should be affected MUCH. affect a littleee bit maybe. Afterall, you're paying for two seperate accounts. Which means you should be expecting each account to be treated individually.

Anaology would be your neighbour a heavy downloader hogging the bandwidth and your traffic slows to a trickle when you 2 pay the same amount. :think: makes sense?

I've heard of people who have 2 accounts in a house because they rent the room out and they do not want to be responsible for what the tenant surfs or does online. So, tenant and landlord should have their own bandwidth rights, right?

Hmm .. a leecher you have at house (ok i sound like yoda :bsmilie: ) .. what you need is a router capable of QoS and locking down the router so you can prioritise traffic.

Currently using a WRT54G router with Talisman firmware running QoS ... so i can get bandwidth priority when running other applications concurrently whilst leeching.

u know which brand/model i can get? i've asked someone who told me that I can switch on and off the leecher (whcih I can do), but I can't set the amt of bandwidth he gets or something.....u have a router whcih can do that prioritising thingy? can share?

dEthANGeL said:
Hmm .. a leecher you have at house (ok i sound like yoda :bsmilie: ) .. what you need is a router capable of QoS and locking down the router so you can prioritise traffic.

Currently using a WRT54G router with Talisman firmware running QoS ... so i can get bandwidth priority when running other applications concurrently whilst leeching.

Presently i'm on the testing boards for Talisman firmware.. if you're using a Linksys WRT54G router.. you can download the sveasoft alchemy firmware which is able to do this. For me, i just input the priority .... BT eg. i put last... while normal http / msn / icq i put first and i can limit the traffic also.

A screen shot of the router page ... and yes you can limit the traffic on that particular ethernet port too! ;)

QoS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.