StarHub Smart TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_Tee

Oct 20, 2005
Singapore
www.tikuphoto.com
Hi,

Has anybody subscribed this new (?) Starhub Smart TV with Digital Video Recorder (DVR) Set-Top box?

Some basic information can be found from http://cabletv2.starhub.com/portal/site/CableTV/menuitem.227318645a7b5eb3f75eb1109b1000a0/?vgnextoid=229dc3767eb8a010VgnVCM100000474114acRCRD

According to Starhub representative the box has 120 Gb HDD drive inside. Also, it has dual tuner for second channel recording. That would be nice feature. Also the service has SMS sending capability to Starhub mobile customers and email access using the remote control (full QWERTY keyboard behing the remote control).

I looked the set-top box and behind there is normal audio and video outputs as well one LAN and USB port. However, according to Starhub those two ports are not in use at the moment. In the future there may be some SW upgrades to support those ports.

The set-top box costs about 500 $ with 12 months contract and about 650 $ without contract.

I like the HDD based set-top box idea but somehow I feel Starhub's offer is not very good and temptating:

1. No way to connect the box to your home network

2. No way to copy the stored programs out of the box in digital format (you can copy it analog e.g. to VCR).

3. Monthly fee of $ 5.25

4. No DVD-player / recorder

I know similar digital set-top boxes are available in different countries. Anybody happen to know if those might be compatible with Starhub cable TV network and would it be allowed to connect those and use those instead of Starhub's current model (made by Thomson)?

Peter_Tee said:
Hi,

Has anybody subscribed this new (?) Starhub Smart TV with Digital Video Recorder (DVR) Set-Top box?

Some basic information can be found from http://cabletv2.starhub.com/portal/site/CableTV/menuitem.227318645a7b5eb3f75eb1109b1000a0/?vgnextoid=229dc3767eb8a010VgnVCM100000474114acRCRD

According to Starhub representative the box has 120 Gb HDD drive inside. Also, it has dual tuner for second channel recording. That would be nice feature. Also the service has SMS sending capability to Starhub mobile customers and email access using the remote control (full QWERTY keyboard behing the remote control).

I looked the set-top box and behind there is normal audio and video outputs as well one LAN and USB port. However, according to Starhub those two ports are not in use at the moment. In the future there may be some SW upgrades to support those ports.

The set-top box costs about 500 $ with 12 months contract and about 650 $ without contract.

I like the HDD based set-top box idea but somehow I feel Starhub's offer is not very good and temptating:

2. No way to copy the stored programs out of the box in digital format (you can copy it analog e.g. to VCR).

3. Monthly fee of $ 5.25

I know similar digital set-top boxes are available in different countries. Anybody happen to know if those might be compatible with Starhub cable TV network and would it be allowed to connect those and use those instead of Starhub's current model (made by Thomson)?

only those in starhub will know dude... and i guess they will never divulge...

No it will not be compatible.
Starhub choose not to use the proven ones and the current ones are custom made to their spec. Home network connection may be available in the future although not known when.
BTW now still planty of problems not resolved.
Technician can almost stay at my house if I want to.

Peter_Tee said:
Hi,

3. Monthly fee of $ 5.25

I've subscribed to the SH Smart TV and paid $459.90 if I recalled correctly for the one year contract.

If I was to do this again, I would just buy a normal harddisk DVR.

My experience, first day of the Thomson DVR, after a few minutes of switching the DVR, one of the LED does not work and I have to send it to the Thomson service centre in Hougang to replace the LED.

I do not understand the need to pay $5+ for the smartTV function to record programmes and I believe that if I did not pay the $5+, I have a basic SH set top and not a DVR. I've paid for a DVR and I need to pay again to use the recording function. However, I was given six months free subscription as I've opted for the SH first user trial(Guinea pig) for the DVR.

The SH DVR gets very warm and I've to use a laptop cooler to cool the set down.

There is no physical indication of recording for example a "REC" or "RED" led for the DVR.

On another important note, as the customer base for SH has gone up, getting through the SH call centre is near impossible.

You should not bring down the set to Thomson yourself.
Call them and ask the engineer to go to your house to service it.
Totally free and they prefer it that way.
While the engineer is there you can talk to them and can get a lot more info from them.
Like I say there are still teething problems that they do not know of.
In fact the engineer gladly change my sets 4 times now (yes I get 4 new sets till now) while they try to understand the problems.

xtemujin said:
I've subscribed to the SH Smart TV and paid $459.90 if I recalled correctly for the one year contract.

If I was to do this again, I would just buy a normal harddisk DVR.

My experience, first day of the Thomson DVR, after a few minutes of switching the DVR, one of the LED does not work and I have to send it to the Thomson service centre in Hougang to replace the LED.

I do not understand the need to pay $5+ for the smartTV function to record programmes and I believe that if I did not pay the $5+, I have a basic SH set top and not a DVR. I've paid for a DVR and I need to pay again to use the recording function. However, I was given six months free subscription as I've opted for the SH first user trial(Guinea pig) for the DVR.

The SH DVR gets very warm and I've to use a laptop cooler to cool the set down.

There is no physical indication of recording for example a "REC" or "RED" led for the DVR.

On another important note, as the customer base for SH has gone up, getting through the SH call centre is near impossible.

Dennis and others,

Thanks for your comments. I think it is wise to wait still for a while before I'll buy a new box. I also wonder when HD TV will be available, will there be need to have two different boxes or will Smart TV box also supports HD signal?

Dennis said:
No it will not be compatible.
Starhub choose not to use the proven ones and the current ones are custom made to their spec. Home network connection may be available in the future although not known when.
BTW now still planty of problems not resolved.
Technician can almost stay at my house if I want to.

Was told that it will be 2 box for some time.
Originally was also targetted for HDTV but give up after some consultation with their engineer as they also cannot give me a assurance that it will work on the way it will be set up.

Peter_Tee said:
Dennis and others,

Thanks for your comments. I think it is wise to wait still for a while before I'll buy a new box. I also wonder when HD TV will be available, will there be need to have two different boxes or will Smart TV box also supports HD signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.