Starhub MaxOnline 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Ho

Jan 17, 2002
jasonho.clubsnap.org
Singapore, 13 May 2003 - StarHub, Singapore's leading info-communication service provider, today announced the launch of a new premium MaxOnline access plan with an advanced cable modem to deliver the next level of broadband home-networking to cable-ready homes.

Called MaxOnline 3000, this new access plan is priced attractively at $76 monthly ($79.04 monthly with GST) for up to 3 Mbps (Megabits per second) of download speed for an always-on, truly unlimited broadband access to the Internet.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

but i tot the bandwidth is shared?

the price seems ok to me...since i used to pay $76 a mth liao

but SCV should let the user to have a free trail to see how good it is

sometimes all my 4 PCs at home will be on, my father streaming video news from HK while my brother play CS and download big files on another PC...while i still can surf quite smoothly...

wonder if it will helps make the streaming much smoother with 3MBps bandwidth

cos if the bottleneck is on the server side then no point liao

I think the real problem is with the upstream cap. You can't host a decent multiplayer game at 15KB/s.

Originally posted by MoriMori
I think the real problem is with the upstream cap. You can't host a decent multiplayer game at 15KB/s.

and FTP/WWW server too ;)

tot of building a person one so that i can retrieve files even i am outside

The agreement with Starhub says you can't setup FTP on your connection. :) So if you do FTP, do remember to change the port to something greater then 21 :) preferrably > 4000

I think the 3Mbps is a rip off IMHO, they promised 10Mbps when we first signed up (I started as a trial user since Dec 1997 @ $35). Speed was a lot better then, having able to hit 1Mb/s download and 60K/s upload.

Then for some apparent reason they changed it to 1500 aka 1.5Mbps, with some stupid reason that 15Kbps upload is sufficient to play games.

Then now they expect us to pay more to get the 3Mbps out of the 10Mbps promised? Not very fair I feel.

Anyway with 1.5Mbps, I've already wired up my house, seems sufficient in surfing when more then 1 machine is on, but I just hate it when I'm gaming, the lag in uploading is terrible, sometimes I just die in D2/X because of this.

You don't need a 3Mbps line to wire up computers, they're just giving more bandwidth + allowing sharing of bandwidth with > 1 computer at home. It's a tatic I would say.

Is it confirmed that upload speed is still the same as the 1500 plan or have they also increased this?

Called them up, confirmed that the upload speed remains the same. :(

If that's the case then no point upgrading.

Somemore there are only 4 helpdesk personnel answering the phonecalls, I always get put on hold for more then 30-40 mins. 15K I can't even play a decent 2 D2/X game.

The advantage seems to be the wireless modem and connection. But they only provide 1 wireless card. So if I need to connect more than 1 computer I need to buy extra cards at @100 per piece right ?
Since the modem will be given free I think I'll wait until my current 1500k modem caput then switch.
Is it worth it to pay $20 per month the the increase in speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.