Starhub MaxOnline 2000 or SingNet Broadband 1500kbps Unlimited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bean

Apr 16, 2002
www.pbase.com
Hi friends,

I am currently using Starhub MaxOnline FlexiSurf 2000 for my home internet needs. Since my home has being using the internet at an increasing rate, I have decided to switch to a regular plan. Currently, I already have a Motorola Cable Modem from StarHub, and I have recently installed a wireless system in my home using Linksys Wireless-G Broadbank Router bought recently.

Looking at the current plans available, which do you think is more worth it in terms of connectivity and value?

Option 1 - 2 free months for 12 months Starhub MaxOnline 2000 contract.
Option 2 - 3 free months for 18 months Starhub MaxOnline 2000 contract.
Option 3 - Free Wireless Home Networking Bundle with 18 months Starhub MaxOnline 2000 contract
Option 4 - Free limited edition Xbox Elite with 24 months MaxOnline 2000 contract
Option 5 - SingTel Mobile Voucher Pack Offer for 24 months SingNet 1500kbps Unlimited Plan

Thanks for your advices in advance!

At $58.80 per month, after deducting 2 months, it will be average $49.00/month.

Same as option 1, it will be average $49.00/month. Would rather choose option 1 instead of option 2 for the shorter contract, and an option to choose a new plans at the end of 1 year.

Option 3 - Free Wireless Home Networking Bundle with 18 months Starhub MaxOnline 2000 contract
Most probably I will not go for this plan unless I can sell the Cable Modem and Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router for more than $200.

Option 4 - Free limited edition Xbox Elite with 24 months MaxOnline 2000 contract
Same as option 3, would anyone like to buy the limited edition Xbox Elite for $250 and above?

Option 5 - SingTel Mobile Voucher Pack Offer for 24 months SingNet 1500kbps Unlimited Plan
At $58.00/month, this seems attractive, as the $250 SingTel Mobile Voucher would come in handy. But for this plan, I will need to sell my cable modem and Linksys Wireless-G Broadbank Router. Would any one buy both?
Lastly, the SingNet plan comes with free 30MB Email storage, 24 months unlimited outdoor wireless surf, 24 months supplementary 20MB email account, anti-spam and email virus scan for 2 both email accounts. What is the difference between the Alcatel ST570 All-in-One Wireless Modem with router and 2Wire HomePortal 1800HG Wireless Modem. Does both have wired options? If do, do they use ethernet or usb for connection?

If there are other more attractive deals like from PacNet, do feel free to suggest. Thanks! :thumbsup:

singnet these days a bit laggy. dunno why

Bean said:
If there are other more attractive deals like from PacNet, do feel free to suggest. Thanks! :thumbsup:
Never sign up Pacnet. They charge a fee even if you terminate your subscriptions.

Drudkh said:
Never sign up Pacnet. They charge a fee even if you terminate your subscriptions.

yup...i just terminated mine...still waiting for them to send me the final bill with termination fee of $46+ :angry:

Wai said:
yup...i just terminated mine...still waiting for them to send me the final bill with termination fee of $46+ :angry:

Haha, me also waiting for my final bill, That $46+ termination fee. :angry:

Maxonline cable used to lag when you're staying in HDB's, not quite sure if it's still the case. But my maxonline has been great all these while, even with my wireless router and 4 computers split network bandwidth.

Is singnet ADSL or Cable? You might want to get ADSL for upload speed, and bandwidth stability if you're in HDB. Just a guess..

DaNi3L said:
Maxonline cable used to lag when you're staying in HDB's, not quite sure if it's still the case. But my maxonline has been great all these while, even with my wireless router and 4 computers split network bandwidth.

Is singnet ADSL or Cable? You might want to get ADSL for upload speed, and bandwidth stability if you're in HDB. Just a guess..

Bean,

stick with Starhub.... the cable service is great... not a problem so far for me.

From 1st Apr when Starhub upgraded the 1500 to 2000, I can see significant performance increase when downloads. Stick with Starhub.

there's only 1 internet optical fiber going in & out of SG, so it all depends on the distribution of bandwidth by starhub & singtel and who has more.

JackRussell said:
From 1st Apr when Starhub upgraded the 1500 to 2000, I can see significant performance increase when downloads. Stick with Starhub.
i agree, you will then do not need to sell away anything.

Stick with Starhub because its cheaper in terms of speed=$.

and because Starhub is always constantly upgrading its networks. Soon we might even get the 2.5kpbs also hard to say... lol..... rite ?

so... stick with Starhub coz i haven gt any probs with them too...

and btw i am on the loyalty programme. lol...

Starhub Mobile 5 lines. Starhub MaxTV. Starhub Maxonline. lol... so.. in the end i pay lesser for my subscribtion fees...

Bean said:
Hi friends,

I am currently using Starhub MaxOnline FlexiSurf 2000 for my home internet needs. Since my home has being using the internet at an increasing rate, I have decided to switch to a regular plan. Currently, I already have a Motorola Cable Modem from StarHub, and I have recently installed a wireless system in my home using Linksys Wireless-G Broadbank Router bought recently.

Looking at the current plans available, which do you think is more worth it in terms of connectivity and value?

Thanks for your advices in advance!

where can i find option 1 and 2 on the starhub website? i think 24 months for the Xbox is kinda of too long, not very worthwhile unless u want to have a xbox for playing games

I've been a happy starhub user, and I will stick with them. Their broadband is very good, no problems so far. I terminated my pacnet subscription (I was on dialup).. looked for broadband, and decided against pacnet. They have extra charges for everything and starhub/singnet are more value for money.

What abt the customer service support of Starhub? Is it good and responsive?

actionman said:
where can i find option 1 and 2 on the starhub website?

Options 1 and 2 are from those StarHub salesmen who has these extra ammunition to help them close sales, just like those SingNet salesmen who always have the student plans to entice you.

After hearing all the comments so far, I am leaning towards option 1, unless someone can convince me that option 5 is more worth it. Dedicated and shared access, how much do they play a part in terms of speed?

:)

If you are using BB for surfing and download stuffs, stick to cable. If you are going for online gaming, go for SingNet.

Anyway, last couple of weeks/days, stuff like STIX APCN2 is down or intermittent. So don't bet on anything between Starhub vs SingNet lar. :bsmilie:

definitely starhub. speaking as ex-singnet user plus from reading experience from other singnet users.

Status
Not open for further replies.