Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
Can't believe this happened :bigeyes:, it may be true, but is it worth it? When most of the world are crying for more clean water supply, Singapore even build more water reserve. Wonder they do it in local or not :sweat:
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/World/Story/STIStory_286920.html
www.straitstimes.com said:
Starbucks in hot water
STARBUCKS has landed itself in hot water after environmental experts discovered that the American coffee shop chain is pouring millions of litres of precious water down the drain at its coffee shops every day.

The giant coffee chain has a policy of keeping a tap running non-stop at all its 10,000 outlets worldwide, wasting 23.4 million litres a day. That would provide enough daily water for the entire two million-strong population of drought-hit Namibia in Africa or fill an Olympic pool every 83 minutes, said media reports.
Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the taps.
Starbucks has built up a massive chain, popular with coffee drinkers from Hollywood stars to builders, and proudly boasts of its work for the environment. But water companies accused the firm of harming the environment by frittering away a vital natural resource. And the claim that running taps are needed for hygiene reasons was dismissed by experts as 'nonsense'.

It is true actually... But how do you expect them to wash the spoons constantly?

i dun see the need...so the spoons and forks i cleaned at home are not hygiene liao ?? :rolleyes:

i dun see the need...so the spoons and forks i cleaned at home are not hygiene liao ?? :rolleyes:

They are making cups and cups of coffee each time, so how do you clean those spoons constantly? I wish I have a better idea as well...

So does anyone?

They are making cups and cups of coffee each time, so how do you clean those spoons constantly? I wish I have a better idea as well...

So does anyone?

use plastic spoons, used already so throw it away.

Is that economically viable? Plus, i dun think you want to use plastics for brewing coffee.

How about collect the leftover water and FedEx it to Africa? Should pacify critics :bsmilie:

How about collect the leftover water and FedEx it to Africa? Should pacify critics :bsmilie:

mebbe the critics should cough up money for such recycling ideas....

Is this really true for the local stores as well? If so, I am going to boycott them!!!

To put things in perspective.

Starbucks operates world-wide... you can't say Sg that tap water is world-wide adopted standard.

However, that being said, to implement it in Sg dosen't make business sense too.

Is this really true for the local stores as well? If so, I am going to boycott them!!!

It's true. But before you jump on the gun, do you have any better ideas for them?

Seriously, I dun think anyone does... :dunno:

It's true. But before you jump on the gun, do you have any better ideas for them?

Seriously, I dun think anyone does... :dunno:

Well, better idea base on? There ASSumption of running water cleanses the pipes? In SG? I'm sorry but cost of water including purification process, is partly subsidised by the government and guess who pays for the subsidy?

Instead of Starbucks asking ppl for ideas, why not Starbucks accredit their claims instead?

Well, better idea base on? There ASSumption of running water cleanses the pipes? In SG? I'm sorry but cost of water including purification process, is partly subsidised by the government and guess who pays for the subsidy?

Instead of Starbucks asking ppl for ideas, why not Starbucks accredit their claims instead?

On cleaning the utensils constantly...

I believe the stupid pipe line was a stupid answer anyway. But I know cleaning the spoons each time after use will definitely use up more water than the drip method.

That's going to be less friendly than wasting water. At least for water, it's a natural cycle.. they eventually evaporate, rises, condenses, form clouds and precipitates in the form or rain and snow.... plastic..... erm... I don't know.. :dunno:

they can have more spare spoons and group together and wash together? Rather than wash individually?

I think the fuel burnt for the shipment does more harm to the environment as well.. ;p Don't act smart and defy mother nature..

Same for the so called 'bio-friendly' waste treatment used in some toilets.. They stink!! What can be more friendly than the natural water cycle, tested and proven for million of years? Introduce more untested, unproven but claimed to be 'bio-friendly'... Seriously, I don't know.. just some chemical firms out to make a fast buck out there?... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.