Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the taps

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am sticking to Ya Kun! ;p

I prefer the corner kopi stall on level 2 of Hong Lim Food Centre, which is just next to the famous Ah Heng curry chicken noodles. Their kopi O costs only 60 cents and definitely tastes better than Ya Kun's. Kopi O and kaya toast costs only $1.40. :thumbsup:

Nowadays, many Ya Kun outlets hire 'foreign talents' as baristas. These FTs know nothing about making a good cup of Hainanese kopi (disclaimer to moderators: I am not being bias or discriminating here). Being a Hainanese, I grew up drinking my grandmother's traditional kopi and I know how a good cuppa should taste like.

Last edited:
I prefer the corner kopi stall on level 2 of Hong Lim Food Centre, which is just next to the famous Ah Heng curry chicken noodles. Their kopi O costs only 60 cents and definitely tastes better than Ya Kun. Kopi O and kaya toast costs only $1.40. :thumbsup:

ooh? :bigeyes:

thanks, i must go & try. :)

What makes you think only Starbucks does this... :think:

that's the problem with being overly successful. A company wide policy can add up to a lot....

But one must look carefully at their method of operation. As zac08 have pointed out, the utensil utilization is almost constant through the operating hours, thus dipping well is most appropriate for such, this can also keep the utensil quantity to the minimum. The alternative being considered is washer actually uses more water per wash cycle (add soap and rinse cycle).

I initially misunderstood the article since it stated "tap running".... but realized it's only the dipping well.... in that case, have you seen the flow rate of a dipping well as compared to the washer?

that's the problem with being overly successful. A company wide policy can add up to a lot....

But one must look carefully at their method of operation. As zac08 have pointed out, the utensil utilization is almost constant through the operating hours, thus dipping well is most appropriate for such, this can also keep the utensil quantity to the minimum. The alternative being considered is washer actually uses more water per wash cycle (add soap and rinse cycle).

I initially misunderstood the article since it stated "tap running".... but realized it's only the dipping well.... in that case, have you seen the flow rate of a dipping well as compared to the washer?

That's my main question... which would waste more water? Constantly washing or the dipping well :dunno:

image of the dipping well
http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20081007/front-atwater08.jpg

It's hard to measure, but the worker can't be constantly working right? There surely are time when there are less customer, so the water flow will be wasted. Dipping well may not work as clean as a quick wash due to residue left over in dipping well.

I prefer the corner kopi stall on level 2 of Hong Lim Food Centre, which is just next to the famous Ah Heng curry chicken noodles. Their kopi O costs only 60 cents and definitely tastes better than Ya Kun's. Kopi O and kaya toast costs only $1.40. :thumbsup:

Nowadays, many Ya Kun outlets hire 'foreign talents' as baristas. These FTs know nothing about making a good cup of Hainanese kopi (disclaimer to moderators: I am not being bias or discriminating here). Being a Hainanese, I grew up drinking my grandmother's traditional kopi and I know how a good cuppa should taste like.

when u do rapid expansion, quality cannot be properly distributed unless its machine mass produced without human intervention...

image of the dipping well
http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20081007/front-atwater08.jpg

It's hard to measure, but the worker can't be constantly working right? There surely are time when there are less customer, so the water flow will be wasted. Dipping well may not work as clean as a quick wash due to residue left over in dipping well.

compared to a commercial dishwasher...

http://www.germes-online.com/catalog/93/95/477/108301/hood_type_dishwasher.html

unless you get this version... confirm save water.:devil:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/subman02/redneck_dishwasher.jpg

now you know why u get pay so much for your latte :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

In wafer Fab, the DI (De-ionised) water have to be circulated to prevent bacteria and algae build up. I was told that the longest it can last was about 8 hours without circulation before baterias start to build up to fail the spec. But in the loop, they have UV lamp to kill the bacteria. If star buck is so concern about bacteria, a simple installation of UV lamp and filters system will solve the issue.

BTW, I'm sure everyone of us had at one time drank water from water disperser. The next time you drink from it, check the condition of the filters (if it have one). heehee

Disclaimer: I'm not a biochemist nor a water expert. :sweat:

MengKeeCoffee.jpg

Meng Kee Coffee Stall at Hong Lim Food Centre (taken with my Nokia E71).

Last edited:
Starbucks has decided not to use wells anymore.. Instead they are going to use single-use spoons. Awesome. The earth's resources are finally going to be saved! :confused:

Starbucks has decided not to use wells anymore.. Instead they are going to use single-use spoons. Awesome. The earth's resources are finally going to be saved! :confused:

At the expense of another resource....

Meng Kee Coffee Stall at Hong Lim Food Centre.

went to try the kopi-O. seems very popular there, even i not regular kopi-O drinkers i go try. not bad. not too bitter.

actually i was looking forward to a good cup of teh-C... ;p but the kopi-O made my day!

Starbucks in Melbourne is under intense scrutiny as a result of this damning article.

we're in the midst of a severe water restriction (Stage 3A. admittedly not as bad as some part of Queensland's Stage 5 or Stage 6!) but still... loads of people are mightily pissed off because Melburnians have come together to try to scimp water in any way, shape, manner or form... and then you have this conglomerate of a coffee outlet that decides to take a leak (no pun intended) on everybody's hard work and effort.

and Starbucks isn't even that popular here compared to the dozens of individual coffee places we get here, and they don't have a damn dipping well... even though business for them can be flat out mad during specific hours of the day (think morning rush in the dead of winter.)

went to try the kopi-O. seems very popular there, even i not regular kopi-O drinkers i go try. not bad. not too bitter.

actually i was looking forward to a good cup of teh-C... ;p but the kopi-O made my day!

Meng Kee is both cheap and good.... Who needs Starbucks anyway?

hmmmm...

I have an idea, can all the shopping center toilet tape the "waste" water from starbuck to flush toilet, so shopping centers can save some money on utility bills...... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.