Star Trail and Milky Way From New Zealand

nuthead

Oct 17, 2008
East
Came back from my NZ trip. Did not do much shooting as planned. Here are just a few night shots to share.

1. Milky Way taken from Lake Wanaka
5080159663_03e2041bd4_b.jpg

2. Milky Way taken from Waitaki Valley near Kurow
5080152123_b62debf91a_b.jpg

3. Star Trail from Lake Pearson
5080156163_18d325c837_b.jpg

4. Star Trail from Waitaki Valley near Kurow
5080153539_a3e423ff2d_b.jpg

5. Star Trail from Waitaki Valley near Kurow. This would be my personal favorite if not because of the heavy clouds.
5080748200_34ae5b632a_b.jpg

Hopes you'll like it.

cool shots.
i think you should post them in landscape section instead.

i can see the zenith.lol

beautiful, mind sharing how long did you expose for the star trails? I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to star trails wahahaha...

and presumably you used the 7D for these, how long did the canon batteries last you for these star trails?

cool shots.
i think you should post them in landscape section instead.

Thanks.

Hi Mod,

Please move this to the appropriate forum. Thanks.

Regards,
Jason Lee

beautiful, mind sharing how long did you expose for the star trails? I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to star trails wahahaha...

and presumably you used the 7D for these, how long did the canon batteries last you for these star trails?

This is my first also. :p

All are shoot using the 5D2 with a 16-35 @ 16mm, F4~F8, 60 frame with each frame exposure @ 180-sec.

You'll need a timer remote control to get the job done if you don't want to monitor and manually snap the shots.

A full charge of the LP-E6 last through the whole shoot with about 30% ++ of juice left.

nice! amazing details from down under. :thumbsup:

Hi,
Beautiful shot!! :heart: Well Done!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I think you got a meteor in the 2nd Milky Way photo.

Have a nice day.

nice! amazing details from down under. :thumbsup:

Very very nice. :heart:

Hi,
Beautiful shot!! :heart: Well Done!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I think you got a meteor in the 2nd Milky Way photo.

Nope, the second is actually the 1st or second attempts, while the first of the last.

Have a nice day.

Thanks you all. Could be better if not for the cloudy sky on the last pic. More than half of the 60 shots was render useless due to the clouds.

What's the exposure like for the first two shots? Did you use Photoshop for the stacking or some other software?

Thank you for posting here coz I would have missed these beautiful pics if they were posted somewhere else.

Its mother nature I believe, so........... yeah world of nature.:thumbsup:

Did anyone noticed the spaceships in pic #2?

What's the exposure like for the first two shots? Did you use Photoshop for the stacking or some other software?

16mm, ISO 1600, F/2.8 exposure between 25~32 sec.

The 2 Milkyway shots are unprocess, uncropped, just covert from RAW to JPG using FastStsone 4.2.

Thank you for posting here coz I would have missed these beautiful pics if they were posted somewhere else.

Its mother nature I believe, so........... yeah world of nature.:thumbsup:

Did anyone noticed the spaceships in pic #2?

Are you referring to the little line running across part of the frame, slightly from the center? Than is a meteoroid, or falling star, there is many of those through the night. I'll be able to make countless wish. ;p

I've other shots that have many more such meteriod cutting across.

Hi, did u visit Christchurch, is the earthquake very bad. Effect your tour??

I will visit both north and south island next month.

If convinience to share, what are the importance thing need to highlight??

Thanks in advance.

Incredible shot! Beautiful!:thumbsup::thumbsup: