John Tan

Aug 28, 2004
AMK
idol_Leann_cs01_copy.jpg

idol_Leann_cs02_copy.jpg

idol_Leann_cs03_copy.jpg

idol_Leann_cs04_copy.jpg

idol_Leann_cs05_copy.jpg

i realise in most of your shots, the hands infront are always blur, i find that quite irritating

eikin said:
i realise in most of your shots, the hands infront are always blur, i find that quite irritating
I assume that u never use DSLR with fast telephoto lens before...if u have use it...u will know why...

John Tan said:
I assume that u never use DSLR with fast telephoto lens before...if u have use it...u will know why...

no i haven't, but i can recognise what is a good event portrait and what is not. it doesn't matter what you use, don't you think that you have to find a way to get the hands in focus as well?

so it's the equipment at fault here.:think:

zaxh81 said:
No, he's showing everyone the shallow DOF from a prime 300mm f/2.8 lens at f/2.8.

Wah bro john u so xin fu huh ? she even wear yr name on her top ! :bsmilie: I think the oof hand are alright :thumbsup:

hey do u hav full body pix?

Drudkh said:
No, he's showing everyone the shallow DOF from a prime 300mm f/2.8 lens at f/2.8.

For a photographer, you gotta decide the right balance of DOF and available light. In this case, John has decided to use the f2.8 for the bokeh and sacrificing blurry hands not in the plain of focus. Is that right or wrong? Well, if the hands are not in the frame then its perfectly alright, sweet bokeh and available light. But as eikin has noted, the hands that get in the frame becomes blur and it does distract.

For me, i would take that as a positive feedback and watch out when using narrow DOF. Its not the equipment's fault but a conscious effort by the photographer. Actually, you can bump up ISO and get a little more F to get a wider DOF. You'd still get bokeh and her hands would be a little sharper. Anyway, its good to have feedback. Don't use f2.8 just coz its there. ;)

Merry Christmas! :bsmilie:

eikin said:
no i haven't, but i can recognise what is a good event portrait and what is not. it doesn't matter what you use, don't you think that you have to find a way to get the hands in focus as well?
I think that is my own style of photography...btw just fyi, i can use my min cam sony w1-(now selling $475) to get sharp image from her hand to the contestant that r standing at the back...

zaxh81 said:
pls don't blame the equipment....

Drudkh said:
I prefer to have this effect rather than the common one...

S11loop said:
Wah bro john u so xin fu huh ? she even wear yr name on her top ! :bsmilie: I think the oof hand are alright :thumbsup:
Thanks bro...at least we think alike...

paxluv said:
So is Star Idol like... American Idol?
no really...we do have Singapore idol just like American idol...we have superhost too...

compro_1975 said:
hey do u hav full body pix?
Sorry that night I'm using prime lens only...unless my clients ask for full body pic

Zplus said:
For a photographer, you gotta decide the right balance of DOF and available light. In this case, John has decided to use the f2.8 for the bokeh and sacrificing blurry hands not in the plain of focus. Is that right or wrong? Well, if the hands are not in the frame then its perfectly alright, sweet bokeh and available light. But as eikin has noted, the hands that get in the frame becomes blur and it does distract.

For me, i would take that as a positive feedback and watch out when using narrow DOF. Its not the equipment's fault but a conscious effort by the photographer. Actually, you can bump up ISO and get a little more F to get a wider DOF. You'd still get bokeh and her hands would be a little sharper. Anyway, its good to have feedback. Don't use f2.8 just coz its there. ;)

Thank for your understanding...but i have to maintain my style as well as client requirement...nice bokeh...

lol john she wear your own brand of top ;) :bsmilie:

once again, brother john strikes again with super sharp headshots:thumbsup:

Zplus said:

DOF can only be shallower or deeper......and not wider or narrower ......because if you do not use the correct adjectives, you are going to confuse everyone ........ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.