Star Effect in Night Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

cykic

Feb 15, 2007
Northeastern paradise
Hi, any bros know how to create the star effect for the lights in night shots, without filtering effect? :)
Thanks.

use small aperture with long exposure. they are called diffraction spikes. the number of spikes is related to the number of aperture blades.

use small aperture with long exposure. they are called diffraction spikes. the number of spikes is related to the number of aperture blades.

Wow... thanks.
What would be a recommended aperture / shutter setting to create the effect?

F8,F11 and above?
this was done at F18 IIRC

384804377_427770ec32.jpg

Din really know where is the best place to post. The thread here was intended for the technique in general, w/o the use of pp or filters. The other thread welcomes comments more on related pp and filtering techniques, if applicable.

I have closed the other thread... :)

IMO star filter effects are not as attractive as those shot without them. In other words, they looked fake.

yes, and very retro

in any case, stopping down will give you your star effect, the smaller the aperture, the more pronounced the effect

note that this will only work for POINT SOURCES of light
i.e. neon lights will not have starburst effect

you can do this during the daytime given the correct tools and approach to capture the sun as a starburst

or the moon even, if the night sky is clear enough, hope this helps, cheers

yes, and very retro

in any case, stopping down will give you your star effect, the smaller the aperture, the more pronounced the effect

note that this will only work for POINT SOURCES of light
i.e. neon lights will not have starburst effect

you can do this during the daytime given the correct tools and approach to capture the sun as a starburst

or the moon even, if the night sky is clear enough, hope this helps, cheers

Yupz true.....initially when i first started out night photography with a DSLR i thought the star effects are done using a filter until one fine day i finally found out how to do it. :)

if u're referring to the pic quality?

the BRAND of the filter plays a part.

the more filter u stack, the lousier the quality.
no, not iq

maybe i have not seen any star filter shots in landscape where the effect works
but if you could direct me somewhere where i could view, i'd be glad =)

no, not iq

maybe i have not seen any star filter shots in landscape where the effect works
but if you could direct me somewhere where i could view, i'd be glad =)

not much on star filter but i did a few such fotos. let me search and upload and we can haf a discussion.

Nah, to me these filters are of no use to me. Best is to shoot them without the filter, let the small aperture and exposure time create the effect.

yup, tat is one way. sometimes using the sun as a subject matter or even at weddings...

the star filter can be pretty handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.