Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastboltnut

Mar 23, 2006
Where the wind blows...
Hi all,

I tried to shoot the NDP Preview, somehow I was a bit late and ended up shooting over at the NTUC building side....but I get a shot that I like. It was the scence when all the boatmen were on standby to move out. They were waiting by the old clifford pier in groups, I took this shot tightly to show the impact of the crowd and atmosphere. I also I like the golden colour of the balloons and reflection. Please give me you comment on any aspect you think can help me to improve.

945319232_c429256fab.jpg

Thank you.:)

nice...but just wondering is it not possible to show ab it more of the ballons and have some space on the top? Will create a better balance in the overall photo. But i really like the patterns created by the cloth hanging down the ballons. :)

nice!

Hi JaPhotots, Thanks for coming by and giving your comments. I did not include the top of the balloons because I thought of framing the pic tightly....and I thought the 1/3 of water + about 1/3 of the whitish top of the balloons may be able to balance the pic....btw, I may have a shot that is not so tight....must go home and find in my harddisk first.... Thanks!

nice...but just wondering is it not possible to show ab it more of the ballons and have some space on the top? Will create a better balance in the overall photo. But i really like the patterns created by the cloth hanging down the ballons. :)

nice!

Hi lastboltnut,

Glad to be able to share ideas. :) Perhaps I have used the wrong choice of words...maybe should said Scale in stead of balance...cos without the space around it...not much visual impact to show the boats crowding together. just my own point of view though for your consideration. :)

Yah, thanks for sharing. Its always good to know how others view the pic. I will go back and check if I have the other pic and look at them agian. Thanks!

Hi lastboltnut,

Glad to be able to share ideas. :) Perhaps I have used the wrong choice of words...maybe should said Scale in stead of balance...cos without the space around it...not much visual impact to show the boats crowding together. just my own point of view though for your consideration. :)

my comment is probably of a personal taste rather than a critique. i feel that the reflection does not add much as the waves breaks up any visible details and shows only texture and color.

if it is me, i would consider cutting the height of the water by half.

the top looks ok to be cropped, but the highlight is merging some areas together. what's your metering mode, metering spot and EV compensation?

Hi zoossh, thanks for your feedback. Yah, the water was a bit "choppy"... If cutting the water by half will mean either having the balloon tops or crop even further...which will you do? For me, I will still try to have a tight crop, so I will probably still crop the balloon top...

I used spot metering mode (as I use matrix only when using flash) to meter the cloth coming down the middle balloon. EV was +0.6.

Thanks!

my comment is probably of a personal taste rather than a critique. i feel that the reflection does not add much as the waves breaks up any visible details and shows only texture and color.

if it is me, i would consider cutting the height of the water by half.

the top looks ok to be cropped, but the highlight is merging some areas together. what's your metering mode, metering spot and EV compensation?

Hi Zoossh, I have checked the exif and confirmed on the following:

I used spot metering mode (as I use matrix only when using flash) to meter the cloth coming down the middle balloon. EV was +0.6.

Also edited the previous post...

argh! those @#$% OBM and boats.. very heavy things...

I quite like the picture.. though I couldn't feel the crowd and the atmosphere, the tight crop brings out the pattern and the way the balloons are squeezed together... The top whitish part of the balloon is very distracting... some slight burning of the top part of the balloons might give more balance to the picture... :)

U were from the Engineer??:bsmilie:

Yah, the tight crop is to give the tight squeezy feeling....take was my intention when taking the pic lah....:) Good idea, may be I should burn the balloons' top...ok, will try when I have time....I haven't even process my fireworks pic for that day's shooting. But the fireworks that day was very bad, alot of smoke (may be due to the cooler weather and still air).:(

argh! those @#$% OBM and boats.. very heavy things...

I quite like the picture.. though I couldn't feel the crowd and the atmosphere, the tight crop brings out the pattern and the way the balloons are squeezed together... The top whitish part of the balloon is very distracting... some slight burning of the top part of the balloons might give more balance to the picture... :)

Hi zoossh, thanks for your feedback. Yah, the water was a bit "choppy"... If cutting the water by half will mean either having the balloon tops or crop even further...which will you do? For me, I will still try to have a tight crop, so I will probably still crop the balloon top...

Thanks!

i would recommend cropping into a more panaromic view without framing upwards, becos probably in the same way you think, i want all the lines to link down to the boats, rather than for them to round up at the top. i want tension at the edge, and a sense of extension beyond the edge.

actually it seems a difficult exposure, the top is already burnt and yet the boats seem like going into shadows anytime if you are going to give less exposure. dun think you can capture it in HDR, a graduated neutral density filter should help in balancing this kind of wide exposure contrast.

Scene is too busy, in my honest opinion, too many elements to look at, too little space, feels cramped.

Too much to take in, I find myself giving up before I have ever finshed looking at the photo.

Perhaps you could focus on the repetitive pattern on the balloon side, instead of the "action" going on.

Scene is too busy, in my honest opinion, too many elements to look at, too little space, feels cramped.

Too much to take in, I find myself giving up before I have ever finshed looking at the photo.

Perhaps you could focus on the repetitive pattern on the balloon side, instead of the "action" going on.

actually i think that is becos of preferences of different genre and becos of the size. for example, a panaromic picture or an aerial picture often focuses on a large amount of details that give the viewer the enjoyment of looking at a lot of things going on, but the picture must be big enough for people to see.

the picture is too small in this case. go up to 800px wide as recommended in the forum. but of cos the larger it is, the more likely any noise and pp flaws are going to be seen.

actually i think that is becos of preferences of different genre and becos of the size. for example, a panaromic picture or an aerial picture often focuses on a large amount of details that give the viewer the enjoyment of looking at a lot of things going on, but the picture must be big enough for people to see.

the picture is too small in this case. go up to 800px wide as recommended in the forum. but of cos the larger it is, the more likely any noise and pp flaws are going to be seen.

Yes, a larger size might be more pleasing, I agree.

In this case I have to really "hunt", if you get what I mean.

However, in my imagination if it is larger, framing to me is still too tight. Hrmm. Personal preference, maybe, not entirely sure.

Yes, a larger size might be more pleasing, I agree.

In this case I have to really "hunt", if you get what I mean.

However, in my imagination if it is larger, framing to me is still too tight. Hrmm. Personal preference, maybe, not entirely sure.

:bsmilie: maybe becos sunset always have a focal point and is never tight.... so you are not used to it.

i think this picture is good as those "pattern and details" type of picture

:bsmilie: maybe becos sunset always have a focal point and is never tight.... so you are not used to it.

i think this picture is good as those "pattern and details" type of picture

Yes, that's true, the light is always the focal point. =D

Hope the TS isn't too irritated by this.. possibly slightly OT and er, slightly philosophical discussion. Apologise.

Ok, I will try out the pano crop and see how it goes.

i would recommend cropping into a more panaromic view without framing upwards, becos probably in the same way you think, i want all the lines to link down to the boats, rather than for them to round up at the top. i want tension at the edge, and a sense of extension beyond the edge.

Yah, quite a challenge in the exposure for me...I only have a CPL with me. Ha!:(
actually it seems a difficult exposure, the top is already burnt and yet the boats seem like going into shadows anytime if you are going to give less exposure. dun think you can capture it in HDR, a graduated neutral density filter should help in balancing this kind of wide exposure contrast.

Yah, a lot of information...that was what I hope to show, the scene behind the NDP...the amount of work these boys put it to entertain everyone watching.:)

I am fine with the discussion so long as I can hear more opinions about the pic for me to learn to view in others' viewpoints.

Yes, that's true, the light is always the focal point. =D

Hope the TS isn't too irritated by this.. possibly slightly OT and er, slightly philosophical discussion. Apologise.

Status
Not open for further replies.