standard zoom (28-300mm VR) or flash (SB-900) first?

L the shooter

Feb 23, 2010
Good afternoon everyone, I am using a D700 currently, pair with tamron 19-35mm and 50/1.8D only.
thinking to buy a standard zoom lens (28-300mm VR) AND flash (SB-900),but my current budget allow me to buy only one of these two.
I shoot for fun and casual use only,so any comments / opinions will be much appreciate, thanks! :)

Just curious, why do you think you need either of the items you've mentioned?

if u shot more in low light situation, get the flash as it'll increase your image quality even though u have 50 1.8

if u need to shot more in a long range and if u r lazy to change lens, then get the 28-300.

if both are equally important, get the cheaper 70-300vr (since u have 19-35, 50) then u will have money to get sb900.

the 28-300 is a very very useful lens no doubt... and image quality is definitely very very acceptable... only complain is it AF is slow...
I used it for a couple of months.... sold it cos i gotten the m43 14-150 (28-300) for my PEN... else I would definitely keep it....

as what baggiolee has mentioned... it really depends on what you are using your camera for.... for low light and portraiture shots... get a flash...
and also do you really need a sb900??... consider the 700 or even the 600... both should be more than enough....

anyway for FF... 28-300 gets my vote for an all in one lens...

Since you already have very useful lenses, go for a flash unit. You can create better photos without limiting yourself to the pop up flash on your camera

what do you like to shoot? and why does that particular lens and flash peak your interest?

if image quality matters to you, i d skip the 28-300. go for the 80-200 2.8s instead if you need reach, or the 24-120 if you want versatility. imho, lenses with a really long range tend to disappoint. could just be me being picky, but should keep that in mind and try the lens out before buying.

you probably don't need the sb 900 either. the 800 is very good, and the 600 is no slouch either. im currently using the 800 and have only one complain which is that i have to set to -1ev for proper fill flash. but once thats dialed in it works like a charm.

the 28-300 is a very very useful lens no doubt... and image quality is definitely very very acceptable... only complain is it AF is slow...

It is also heavy :(

Good afternoon everyone, I am using a D700 currently, pair with tamron 19-35mm and 50/1.8D only.
thinking to buy a standard zoom lens (28-300mm VR) AND flash (SB-900),but my current budget allow me to buy only one of these two.
I shoot for fun and casual use only,so any comments / opinions will be much appreciate, thanks! :)

What you need to buy depends a lot on what your needs are. Very hard to give you advice.

BTW 28-300 is known as a superzoom. Standard zooms are more like the 24-85 or 24-120 range.

The bigger brother of the DX 18-200mm. Which is also a super zoom for DX body.

I would advice against buying anything until you know what do you want to do.

Why do you need a flash? Is the 35mm from ur tokina limiting your reach? And why 28-300mm VR?

Last edited: