Standard Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

holidaydom

Aug 18, 2006
There's a new Standard ULTRA-WIDE Zoom to be released sometime in 2008.

Anyone has info on the specs for this lens?

___~___ mm / f __~__

Mikefellh

Oct 9, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Nope...I talked to the Canadian Oly reps last week, and the developers in Japan let no secrets out...but looking at the chart it looks to be ~8-16mm. I also told them that if that lens was available today I would buy it on the spot (it was at a camera show and sale).

Blu-By-U

Aug 2, 2006
Selangor D.E.
hehehehe...shop for the Zuiko Digital ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye. no need to wait. :D

drakon09

Aug 12, 2005
My guess?

Probably 8-16mm/f4 - 5.6.

Mikefellh

Oct 9, 2005
Toronto, Canada
hehehehe...shop for the Zuiko Digital ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye. no need to wait. :D
I borrowed the 8mm for a week last summer (used it to shoot Niagara Falls)...I want MORE, without spending more than twice the price of the 8mm (I can't even afford the 8mm...might just get the 8m Peleng until I get some $$$).

Kid Shotter

Feb 23, 2007
Peleng Fisheye is a M42 mount Russian made FF fisheye lens.On 4/3,this lens cover 168 degree.

drakon09

Aug 12, 2005
I borrowed the 8mm for a week last summer (used it to shoot Niagara Falls)...I want MORE, without spending more than twice the price of the 8mm (I can't even afford the 8mm...might just get the 8m Peleng until I get some $$$).
You are one greedy bloke Mike! :bsmilie:

Mikefellh

Oct 9, 2005
Toronto, Canada
You are one greedy bloke Mike! :bsmilie:
No, just frugal...I don't want to spend more than I have to, and I don't want to spend money on something that only does half the job when there's something more productive on the horizon.

I admit the 8mm weather resistant would be nice (I even used it on "Maid of the Mist") but if my body isn't weather resistant (never mind the camera body) then it's just wasted money.

holidaydom

Aug 18, 2006
I'm longing for an Ultra Wide Lens from OLY that's within a reasonable budget.

So it's either I wait for OLY's lower priced Standard Ultra Wide or get a better paying job to increase my "reasonable budget" threshold! :bsmilie:

I'll confess - I've even contemplated slapping on a wide angle converter on my 14-54 to get a wider shot.

But I haven't tried this yet. And it's only because the only 67mm wide angle converter I can find is from eBay and will cost around S$200 (+shipping)

Say... has anyone ever tried putting a 58mm wide angle converter on the 14-45 Kit Lens? :think:

For sure the image quality will go south but how's the angle of view with a 0.45x or 0.50x converter?

Blu-By-U

Aug 2, 2006
Selangor D.E.
forget that converter. Shoot panoramic and stitch.

Firefly

Dec 16, 2004
North East Line
I admit the 8mm weather resistant would be nice (I even used it on "Maid of the Mist") but if my body isn't weather resistant (never mind the camera body) then it's just wasted money.
Hi Mike, I'll be visiting Niagara Falls soon. Besides "Maid of the Mist", what are the other attractions needing weather resistance equipment? I don't have any wide angle lens so will just have to make do with my kit 14-45. Thanks for any advice.

cjtune

Mar 20, 2006
Say... has anyone ever tried putting a 58mm wide angle converter on the 14-45 Kit Lens? :think:
Look at teonglai's post (#232) in the "Show Your Blues, Greens and Reds!" thread. But he used a 50mm OM prime with a wide-angle converter, not a 14-45.

holidaydom

Aug 18, 2006
Yea - saw that one... interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.