Stand up for your rights.. do not let this IT store short-changed you.

CS_new

Sep 29, 2005
There is this IT store which offers 2-year “Guarantee Savings” membership at a fee of $30.

Benefits of membership include guaranteed minimum savings of $50 over 2-year membership period and if savings are less than $20, a $40 cheque will be refunded within 30 days.

I signed up for this membership and did not enjoy savings up to $20 when my membership expired recently. I applied for my $40 cheque refund. After a delay of more than 50 days and following an email reminder I was offered refund in voucher instead. I turned down its offer telling the store that it made a mistake in offering voucher refund instead of cheque. I did not receive any response after one week. I then sent an email reminder and another week later followed up with a visit to the store.

At the store I was told that the membership T&C include a clause, which give the store the right to amend or withdraw any term, condition and member benefits without notice. Hence the store exercised this right to amend term, to offer refund in voucher instead of cheque. I told the store that such unfair right is illegal and not enforceable and that I would file a claim with the Small Claim Tribunal (SCT) if I do not get my refund in cheque. Two days after, I emailed the store recounting my visit to the store, stating my stand and requested a response from it.

The store responded within the next few days. It agreed to a cheque refund but required processing time of 90 to 120 days. I was shocked and concerned to read that. A company that need to delay payment for a small sum of $40 is either not sincere in wanting to settle a claim or is in very poor financial health; probably facing severe cash flow problem which may lead it to liquidation. By then my claim was 45 days overdue. I wrote back to object to the further delay and raise my concern on the store financial stability and set a deadline for settlement, failing which I would file a claim with the SBT to expedite payment. I did not follow up after that, as it was the start of the World Cup 2010 season.

After the world cup and when I was about to file my claim with the SCT, the store informed me to collect my cheque; after a long delay of 82 days.

While I am glad to have this issue settled to my satisfaction, I also regret not being able to see how this store is going to defend its stand at the SCT.

The purpose of this post is to inform others how shabbily this store treated its customers and to advise consumers to stand up for their rights. An organization cannot rely on unfair terms and conditions in any agreement to short-changed consumers.

If you are in a similar situation like me and prefer your refund in cheque, insist on a cheque. Don’t let this store force you to accept voucher.

Regards

$40.....i will not waste my 82 days demanding that $40 cash.

Last edited:
Due to small amount, ppl like to ignore it and it gives adv to the store

I stopped shopping at Challenger. I think their membership thingy is a rip-off.

$40.....i will not waste my 82 days demanding that $40 cash.

that is the reasons why these stores are still pulling out the same trick...

imagine they have 100,000 customers signing up for their membership, they make $3,000,000, and did not deliver their promise.
If 90% think the same way as you did, they will only compensate $400,000, and get away with $2,600,000. And among the $400,000 payout, another 70% will accept the voucher, which roll the money back to them...

Do a simple maths, and we will all know how these big companies are "conning" us, in a more legal way...
and that's also why they are willing to pay the TS without arguing so much, because they know their consequences if the whole incident is being made known to the mass public...

Thanks CS for sharing your experience and advise. Good that this matter had came to an closure for you.

But I believe you do not have a case should this matter goes up to SCT. By signing on the line 2 years ago when you took up the membership , you are agreeing on the T & C they imposed. Can someone correct me if I understand the spore law wrongly.

Maybe you would get your refund faster, if you mentioned, you will be documenting the facts and happenings of your ordeal, and sharing them with members on 2 very large online community, who many may be customers of the store. And you may consider providing this ordeal to the juciy evening daily as a source of news. I bet you will get your cheque courier to your house the next working day. :bsmilie: .

Personally I almost took up the membership last year when I buy my 1.5TB external HDD. Price difference for members n nonmember is abt $50. So even with the $30 cost of getting the memebership, I still save $20. But end up, lucky the person infront of me is a member, and I tag along with his card. He will end the pts, I will save my $50 :bsmilie:

that is the reasons why these stores are still pulling out the same trick...

imagine they have 100,000 customers signing up for their membership, they make $3,000,000, and did not deliver their promise.
If 90% think the same way as you did, they will only compensate $400,000, and get away with $2,600,000. And among the $400,000 payout, another 70% will accept the voucher, which roll the money back to them...

Do a simple maths, and we will all know how these big companies are "conning" us, in a more legal way...
and that's also why they are willing to pay the TS without arguing so much, because they know their consequences if the whole incident is being made known to the mass public...

:thumbsup: . We live in a big fish eat small fish world. When your " provider of affordable PUBLIC housing " is doing it openly, why not a profit maximising private entity.

i still shop at Challenger , especially funan . few reasons :

1: very huge, comfortable to walk around. not like some shops in sim lim, have to squeeze.
2: sales person will leave you alone, they won't disturb you, i dont like sales person who keep asking "can i help?" if i need help i will approach them. common sense.
3: some of the items are VERY much cheaper compare to outside, even compare to other countries. very often they have items "2 for the price of 1"

but i dont deny some of the items are ridiculously expensive.

and if you compare them with those smaller shops in sim lim, they are much honest. some of the small shops in sim lim i also don't know they are bollocks or not.

i mean let's be fair , if you shop in sim lim and funan, you will know what i mean. dont just because of $40 and condemn the megastore.

megashop like harvey norman also got good and bad.

Period.

Last edited:
I also find it reasonable. As with most retailers, certain products will be cheaper over other retailers, other products more expensive. The marketing strategy is the entice the customers with the cheaper priced products, and when they are here, may want to save the trouble n get other products at the same place. Supermarkets like NTUC does that.

The main difference will be the ease of mind of the purchase. Those, esp tourists, who prefer to do away with the hassle, paid abit of a premium to get a peace of mind.

I'm quite comfortable shopping at this store, may not be the cheapest in town, but I know I'm not being ripped off. Just dont sign up for any membership.

But I believe you do not have a case should this matter goes up to SCT. By signing on the line 2 years ago when you took up the membership , you are agreeing on the T & C they imposed. Can someone correct me if I understand the spore law wrongly.

well, this condition is actually a blanket condition that a lot of people use.

for example, for a photo competition, the organisers also have this clause.

at the end of the day, if the organisers change the $5,000 cash prize (for example) to a teddy bear... like it or not, under the law, they have the right to do so, but it is arguable whether there are unfair practices going on as result of this.

same for other discount cards, etc.. if subject to change, also must be reasonable.

for me, the voucher would have been reasonable, but i guess everyone is different.

that said, i have advised people asking me about this particular card against getting it, unless they happen to like paying the higher price there, in exchange for free parking (which is a perk given, i think).

I dont understand why some people tell e whole story but choose not to tell the shop name. If u'r afraid tat u'l b sued or for wat ever reasons, do put it in a way tat others can distinguish the shop straight away.

By wat is mentioned, wat can we the other users learn from? I dont need any valuable thing tat i can learn fm TS experience if the shop name is not known to me.

M i suppose to like figure out myself and be wary of all shops in sg?

well, this condition is actually a blanket condition that a lot of people use.

for example, for a photo competition, the organisers also have this clause.

at the end of the day, if the organisers change the $5,000 cash prize (for example) to a teddy bear... like it or not, under the law, they have the right to do so, but it is arguable whether there are unfair practices going on as result of this.

same for other discount cards, etc.. if subject to change, also must be reasonable.

for me, the voucher would have been reasonable, but i guess everyone is different.

that said, i have advised people asking me about this particular card against getting it, unless they happen to like paying the higher price there, in exchange for free parking (which is a perk given, i think).

If they change the prize to a $5,000 teddy bear ? :bsmilie:
At least the store change to something of same value.
The rich and big corps will use the law to protect them.

I dont understand why some people tell e whole story but choose not to tell the shop name. If u'r afraid tat u'l b sued or for wat ever reasons, do put it in a way tat others can distinguish the shop straight away.

By wat is mentioned, wat can we the other users learn from? I dont need any valuable thing tat i can learn fm TS experience if the shop name is not known to me.

M i suppose to like figure out myself and be wary of all shops in sg?

If you are not even aware of this IT chain or its membership program, then its likely that you are not its customers or potential customers and you need not worry :)

siao liao...

my $40 is gone liao... i also join challenger memebership!

low class !

I am a member of Challenger for some years already. Small deal.
Don't really bother to keep track of and add up the so called savings.
What is more important is when we are looking for something, they should have the stock.
If Challenger is marginally a few dollars more than the other store if one bothers to hunt at every shop to find out prices, then normally one does not care.
Just pay a few dollars more and be done with it.
Time is money.