Stairs, Black, White And Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

Stairs, Black, White And Square

stairs.jpg

:cool: :)

Comments please. :)

Good lines and nice capture that have portrayed a rather clean, futuristic look on things we'd otherwise taken for granted.

However to me, the picture is more of a disappointment than success. The geometric shapes (squares formed by the stairs) have a rather tunnel effect, which tend to automatically lead a viewer to see what's at the end of the "tunnel". And yet, in this case, the "tunnel" led to just a florescent lamp that:
(1) isn't interestingly portrayed (not enough contrast to "pop out"; not distinguished enough in the colour scheme; can't hold and substain attention)
(2) didn't fill up the frame (objects and lines at the bottom at the end of the "tunnel" simply ain't big enough, giving effectively an "empty" subject).

Do excuse me for not all that thrilled with "futuristic" and clean look. It's just me and perhaps you may find someone who could appreciate what you're trying to achieve with this almost mathematical image. And apologies if my remarks are a bit harsh.

I looked at the picture last night, and my thoughts were pretty much the same.
It's really a great perspective, but the fluroscent lamp at top is an absolute eye sore.
Sad case, great shots like these are ruined everyday thanks to the imprefections of reality.
Errr....and thus God embeded us with the power of Photoshop! hey man dont despair about the lamp, take it onto photshop and clone it away. I'm sure it'll be a pretty clean job. All the best :)

skipper53 said:
I looked at the picture last night, and my thoughts were pretty much the same.
It's really a great perspective, but the fluroscent lamp at top is an absolute eye sore.
Sad case, great shots like these are ruined everyday thanks to the imprefections of reality.
Errr....and thus God embeded us with the power of Photoshop! hey man dont despair about the lamp, take it onto photshop and clone it away. I'm sure it'll be a pretty clean job. All the best :)

I was tempted to comment on the greatness of PS as well. But then my subconscious was telling me that it's just as correct to leave things as it is unaltered. Reality ain't "perfect", and that may work into a good picture in some cases, and ruin in others. By realising and coming to terms with that "imperfection" may ultimately bring great things in visual excellence.

Perfectly perfect and beautiful shots would seem quite 'unreal' to me.

I'll rather have my shots looking 'real'.

Would only use software to alter the 'mood' of the pic. Very small imperfections I would remove them, but not something as big as a light. :)

More comments please.
Comments appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Nice framing! At first I'd thouht I was looking at a computer screen! Until I saw the lamp. Nice eye tho...It might be better if you got someone to pose for you and look down the 'tunnel' into your camera!

Hi there,

Very nice framing. Eyesight is kept within the framing of the stairs which is good to help people to focus. The fluroscent lamp causes the slight distraction unless it serve as the main subject. But like what others have commented, the fluroscent lamp somehow manage to tell people that it is the ceiling.

In some sense, if this is an old building, it may be even better if the ceiling had a leakage which can cause some algae to grow and can give a touch of green within the black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.