Stages of Photographer

Knighthunter

Sep 13, 2002
Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
I found this posted in wetpixel by Mr. A. Mustard.
Really an interesting graph.
photographer-graph-1024x858.png

Last edited:
Ha.... funny and interesting. He din mention, the buying and selling of gears? Also to co-relate the number of nagging from spouse on the buying of gears?

This is so good!!!

Haha! See how things get better after the film camera?

The graph is quite true.

Early stages most people sucks but they think they are great. :bsmilie:

Most comments they get online on forums and social media sites are fake niceties and they go and believe. They might learn a thing or two but they think its the big deal liao and they start giving out advice and instructions to other people on forums as if they are some great gurus.

If they can get pass this stage and be critical of themselves;

they then realized they sucks. The real long journey of learning and practicing photography then begins.

They eventually get good but still think they sucks.

Then they start to realized hey they are really good liao. It either becomes a job or the hobby's gone.

I must be a some sort of a prodigy then.

I jumped (and still stuck at) straight to the "Dammit, I Suck"phrase.:embrass:

Why until we have tripod Then can get better images? He is a tripod salesman

LOL ! ...totally agree with the 'old film camera' part ! :bsmilie:

When you have to pay on average S$1.00 every time you squeeze that shutter release (with zero chances of "delete") ...it forces you to either learn extremely fast or totally give up photography.

Trust me, I started in that era ! :sweatsm:

When you have to pay on average S$1.00 every time you squeeze that shutter release (with zero chances of "delete") ...it forces you to either learn extremely fast or totally give up photography.

i'll vouch for this. i didnt exactly came from that era. but dad friend insisted i start with film first:rolleyes:

only after burning money like free, he then help me get my dslr. at a must cheaper price first hand:thumbsup:

True. I start with film back in 1990s. Then I realize that I will be bankrupt before I can become pro so I sold all my gears and gave up.

When digital camera era start, the good one are too expensive and cheap one sucks so I never pick up photography again until 2009. When some affordable camera that can take decent pictures start to appear.

HEY Teddy !!! SO Good to see you in CS again !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

your profile says Mandalay ? You are now in Myanmar ? Raymond Bona from FN is there too

Last edited:
I think I am falling into the "HDR hole" now... and yes, it's true. I still think they look good :bsmilie:

i'll vouch for this. i didnt exactly came from that era. but dad friend insisted i start with film first

only after burning money like free, he then help me get my dslr. at a must cheaper price first hand:thumbsup:
Good for you ! ...I've seen some people with DSLR snap away, 'American warfare' style i.e: saturation bombing, hoping that at least a few will hit ! ...just because there is a "delete" button :bsmilie:(I'm not talking about sports/action shooting here)

With film, you have to shoot like a German sniper, make sure everything is zeroed, allowance for wind direction/strength, wait patiencely for the right moment and ....one shot, one kill ! ;) ...either that or 'por kai' !:sweatsm:

True. I start with film back in 1990s. Then I realize that I will be bankrupt before I can become pro so I sold all my gears and gave up.

When digital camera era start, the good one are too expensive and cheap one sucks so I never pick up photography again until 2009. When some affordable camera that can take decent pictures start to appear.

You are way ahead of me, I've only just started DSLR like last week !!! :bsmilie:

Does that mean those of us in Rangefinder section of forums are more pro than the rest of you hehe

Good for you ! ...I've seen some people with DSLR snap away, 'American warfare' style i.e: saturation bombing, hoping that at least a few will hit ! ...just because there is a "delete" button :bsmilie:(I'm not talking about sports/action shooting here)

With film, you have to shoot like a German sniper, make sure everything is zeroed, allowance for wind direction/strength, wait patiencely for the right moment and ....one shot, one kill ! ;) ...either that or 'por kai' !:sweatsm:

My co-worker own a SONY DSLR, she use it like a machine gun. Shoot continuously at anything that move. Remind me of my NS vocation as MG gunner.
Ironically, I shoot like a sniper :bsmilie:

You are way ahead of me, I've only just started DSLR like last week !!! :bsmilie:

Not really. My friend lost my DSLR 6 months ago. I only own it for a few months.
I am still suffering from heartache, so I am shooting with F72 EXR now.

My co-worker own a SONY DSLR, she use it like a machine gun. Shoot continuously at anything that move. Remind me of my NS vocation as MG gunner.
Ironically, I shoot like a sniper :bsmilie:

me too, but I always miss....;p

Maybe except during the airshow. My last shot on that day was DSC4411.jpg....:sweat: and I only aimed at the aerial display.

LOL ! ...you AA gunner in SAF issit ? :bsmilie: