stage performance photograhy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeagle

Feb 10, 2008
SG
bros:
seeking some advices about taking photo for performance on stage.
just got a chance to take photo for performance on stage. haven't visit the place yet. I have only one body, 24-85 and 70-200, sb-600,

1. which lens would be most useful lens for such event if i only can bring one to go?
2. if i bring two lens, how feasible I can keep changing without missing too important moment.
3. is sb-600 enough for a hall, provided there is enough light on stage?
4. what is typical rate to charge for 2 hours events? how many phote normally should be delivered? 100 or 200? how about post-processing? is it included in the 2 hours rate?

many thanks in advance.

If you want to take the crowd, use the 24-85, if you want to take the performers, use the 70-200 (unless you can get real close). Having a second body is always best. So you don't need to change lenses, but ultimately, it depends what shots you're focusing on.

Stage performances usually have cool spotlights, using flash might spoil it. So for me, when shooting concerts or live performances, I don't use flash, I just push the ISO up.

thanks about your experience about flash.

yes. flash is a no no for stage photography. it'd be quite distracting for the performers and some of the mood may be lost with the flash. If there's really not enough light, consider underexposing the picture and then bringing it up in photoshop. Better to have noise than a blurry unuseable picture.

If you want to take the crowd, use the 24-85, if you want to take the performers, use the 70-200 (unless you can get real close). Having a second body is always best. So you don't need to change lenses, but ultimately, it depends what shots you're focusing on.

Stage performances usually have cool spotlights, using flash might spoil it. So for me, when shooting concerts or live performances, I don't use flash, I just push the ISO up.

Also possible is a 20-35mm for wides -> moderate, and 70/80-200mm for closeups (extra - not replacement - 300mm also possible depending, thus monopod mandatory). 2 bodies is really useful since it is harder to be charging lenses in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.