Stag / Rhino beetle in Singapore...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokyoexpress

May 2, 2007
Hi, has anyone encounter Stag / Rhino beetle in Singapore... These are japanese beetles that are oftern seen in japan in certain nature environment.

Last mth, I saw a dead one, was thinking of preserving but failed, it start to grow maggots. *Sad*

These are very beautiful insects.

So far, I havent seen any in sg...

Where can u find em? pls share...

I live in the forested area of Mandai and I've yet to see one.

I agree, they're beautiful, used to tie a string around its body and let it fly round me, or on the horns, remarkably strong can even pull my eraser.

I appreciate it more after watching bugs life.

Haha... I found a dead on some where near my house...~~~ Its very study and beautiful... Cant bear to get go.... but its growth with maggots after i kept for a few days... :cry:

By the way, the one i found is like the nearly the size of a card.~ I am quiet shock when i saw it... Usually i confess i am afraid of insects even moths n cockroaches but this is something very rare. Its a male with very huge horns.. and YES, its on singapore...

I live in the forested area of Mandai and I've yet to see one.

I agree, they're beautiful, used to tie a string around its body and let it fly round me, or on the horns, remarkably strong can even pull my eraser.

I appreciate it more after watching bugs life.

by the way, will it bite or poke yr hands?

There are, and not as rare as what people think. Or rather, I seem to bump into them quite often, mainly because I'm not looking for them (strange how the world works :D )

They are nocturnal (mainly active at night) though some will feed on tree sap in broad daylight, where they often get into territorial squabbles with hornets, but haven't seen this in Singapore yet. I've seen them a couple of times around 9p.m. in the Changi area. I've also found some hanging around rotting logs at Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (but don't think of taking any from here, alive or dead, for its prohibited).

In certain areas such as Changi and Pasir Ris Park, I found a surprisingly large population of Megascolia species (giant ground wasps) which are specialized predators on the larvae of these beetles - meaning there should be more of them around than we think.

You want live or dead ones?
I have been catching them.

Wow, what is yr purpose of catching them? Mind sharing the pictures with us?

Would love to see yr beetles... :)

They have been damaging my plants. I don't take pictures of them though.
PM me if you want to have them. I will keep them for you next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.