Stacking filters

Kenneth67C

Oct 20, 2010
Shanghai, China, China
Hi all

I've been out of Singapore for a while, and wanted to try out ND filters with the possibility of stacking with GND. As this would most likely be with a UWA lens, the possibility of vignetting is quite high, so what are my options? The lenses would probably either be the 17-40 or the 24-105, both of which have filter size of 77mm.

I've seen/heard of Corkin. Any other options?

B+W ND filters

B+W ND are screw in type, so there's the danger of vignetting if I were to stack a GND in front.

Correct me if I'm wrong: its possible to add a GND effect with software processing, if so, then is there any advantage of having a GND filter in the first place?

From my noob experience, stacking my Tokina cpl n b+w nd110 still ok, I even have uv filter on... just a tiny bit of vignett around the corner. Can be resolve with pp. As for filter vs gnd in pp. My personal noob understanding is that the quality of the photo will be affected.

Maybe, the pros, masters n gods can advise on this matter

there are various grades of Grad ND and NDs...... mix and match

if u want to avoid vignette, i suggest going square filters on slot-in mounts..... go for bigger size

Mass Sales sect have these for sale

Correct me if I'm wrong: its possible to add a GND effect with software processing, if so, then is there any advantage of having a GND filter in the first place?
Sure, but if the highlights are nicely blown no filter effect will help to recover. Filters are there to block the light before it hits the sensor. Alternatively you could do multiple exposures with blending.
Cokin filters and others are square slot-in filters that come in different sizes, you can use a size big enough to avoid vignetting.

A few things to note.

1) why a physical filter vs done in post process.

Using a ND filter (screw on) will lower light intensity on the overall image. This will allow you to say smooth water out, or "empty" a street of moving people.
However, the sky will probably still get blown out and as mentioned, no Post processing will bring details back.

So when you now stack a GND on top of the ND, you essentially block out light and bring back details in on the sky.
Note also when using this with windy days, you will see cloud smear too. which can be pretty cool.

Similarly, if you are doing thunderstorms at night, or want to catch moving clouds lit by the moon with a city view at the bottom, you might find the city buildings overexposing. Here you can use the ND to cut out most light for the clouds, and add the GND upside down, to cut out light from the city lights.

2) stacking and vignetting.
This entirely depends.
I would say if you are shooting above 18mm, have a thin ND eg 3mm kinds, you should be ok with the normal cokin P filter system.
Note the cokin P filter system have 2 kinds. One take 3 filters, and thus us thicker, the other is takes only 1 filter, thus thinner.

I use the Tokina 11-16mm on a D90 (cropped sensor). If i have a hoya ND4 filter + cokin system GND, then I can shoot without vignetting at 15-16mm, provided that my cokin system GND filter is vertical. ie my horizon is horizontal. If i want to have some funky angle and need to twist the filter at an angle, i still do get a bit of vignetting.

If the P system doesnt help, you will need to move to the Z-pro series which may help.
Best is to bring your widest lens down and try out.

3) quality issues.
Make sure you get proper gear if you want to stack.
At the end of the day, you are adding physical content in front of your lens be it the ND filter (glass) or the GNDs (resin/glass). And as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll be looking around for a suitable square filter system, I guess either Lee or Corkin.

Anyone who has actually used these brands, care to share you experience?

Thanks for the input guys, I'll be looking around for a suitable square filter system, I guess either Lee or Corkin.

Anyone who has actually used these brands, care to share you experience?

I find excessive color casts (magenta) in Cokin, which is why I sold my entire collection of Cokin stuff (I have quite a bit too). Another reason is that I get vignetting at 11mm and slightly at 12mm even when I was using the P series wide angle holder.

Moved to Lee and Hitech filters 4 inch (100mm) filters on a Lee foundation kit.

No color casts from Hitech ND and GND so far, even when stacked. Lee's Big Stopper do exhibit quite a bit of a bluish cast but it is relatively easy to correct.

I find excessive color casts (magenta) in Cokin, which is why I sold my entire collection of Cokin stuff (I have quite a bit too). Another reason is that I get vignetting at 11mm and slightly at 12mm even when I was using the P series wide angle holder.

No color casts from Hitech ND and GND so far, even when stacked. Lee's Big Stopper do exhibit quite a bit of a bluish cast but it is relatively easy to correct.

Thanks for the input.

Who sells the Lee and Hitech filter range?
I tried looking through the Mass sales section and the list is quite long, dunno how long I need to scan before I find the reseller. :dunno:

Thanks for the input.

Who sells the Lee and Hitech filter range?
I tried looking through the Mass sales section and the list is quite long, dunno how long I need to scan before I find the reseller. :dunno:

TK photo sells both Lee and hitech, cathay sells Lee only. The main problem now is getting the Lee or Hitech filter holder, always sold out.

hi, do you have any ideas of how much the lee's holders they are selling? hmmm.

hi, do you have any ideas of how much the lee's holders they are selling? hmmm.

Sorry, no idea. Pls give TK or Cathay a call to check.
I was at TK just now and the problem is that the larger holders are almost always out of stock.

TK photo sells both Lee and hitech, cathay sells Lee only. The main problem now is getting the Lee or Hitech filter holder, always sold out.

Yup..

But can also use Cokin Z-pro holder, which will hold Lee and Hitech 100mm filters just fine.

You can find Cokin Z-pro holders in CP or OP. When I was in OP on Monday, I saw that they still have quite a number of the Z-pro holder available.

i reckon ya start with tianyas first. no point spending so much at one go, when u are still at an experimental stage i guess?

as for stacking, i have done a cpl(tianya)+b+w nd110 + gnd (tianya)

the image came out fine

Yup..

But can also use Cokin Z-pro holder, which will hold Lee and Hitech 100mm filters just fine.

You can find Cokin Z-pro holders in CP or OP. When I was in OP on Monday, I saw that they still have quite a number of the Z-pro holder available.

Is OP open yet? I've tried calling them for the past few days with no success. :dunno:

I get a magenta cast stacking any 2 hitech filters. The ND1.2 by itself will also give magenta cast. Something wrong with mine?

I get a magenta cast stacking any 2 hitech filters. The ND1.2 by itself will also give magenta cast. Something wrong with mine?

I had the same problem and it's quite difficult to remove. Most of the time you end up convert the images to Black and White.