Stacking 2 Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicdust

Deregistered
Apr 18, 2004
Blue Planet
Hi...I have a Tokina UV and Hoya CPL filters. Wonder if I can stack the following sequence:

1. Len hood -> CPL -> UV or
2. Len hood -> UV -> CPL?

Any comments or stacking not advisable at all? ;p

Basically is not advisable for stacking filters, but sometime you can't tell the differents from the pictures.

if you are using wide angle lens, stacking filters may cause vignetting.

and with the lens hood on, how would you going to rotate the PL filter?

No rotating the PL filter, how you going get the effect you want?

so just making things simple, use PL filter only, use lens hood when direct light cast into lens.

simple!
do the experiment yourself take a stacked shot first (faster cos no need to take off one)
then take off UV and take with only one.
go home compare results
can't see diff?
then no diff for you
photography is also about experimentation for me
if u just follow all the rules for the technically correct photo sometimes u miss the shot and sometimes even if you get the shot, it ends up looking generic.

atomicdust said:
Hi...I have a Tokina UV and Hoya CPL filters. Wonder if I can stack the following sequence:

1. Len hood -> CPL -> UV or
2. Len hood -> UV -> CPL?

Any comments or stacking not advisable at all? ;p

if your filters are multicoated then wont be a problem even on wide angle lenses too. Use the UV as all time filter and if needed stack the cpl on top of it. If you are having problems rotating the cpl ring then get urself a rubber lens hood :)

rx_nick said:
if your filters are multicoated then wont be a problem even on wide angle lenses too. Use the UV as all time filter and if needed stack the cpl on top of it. If you are having problems rotating the cpl ring then get urself a rubber lens hood :)
Multicoated or single coated or no coated filter can not run from vignetting problem.

Do the test first whether stacking filter will vignet on your lens(es).

Regards,
Arto.

Hi everyone, I have tried with stacking and non-stacking. Apparently with stacking the pictures were slightly darker compared with non-stacking.

Appreciate all of your helpful tips :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you all again. :)

Artosoft said:
Multicoated or single coated or no coated filter can not run from vignetting problem.

Do the test first whether stacking filter will vignet on your lens(es).

Regards,
Arto.

Perhaps his multi-coated are slim filters lah.

Andy Ang said:
Perhaps his multi-coated are slim filters lah.
Stacking slim filter also can get vignet.

FYI, it is the choice of glass, material and construction of the filter that make the filter slim, not the coating.

Regards,
Arto.

Yes. I mean when he got his multi-coated, he didn't realise that it is also a slim version.
Perhaps you misunderstood what I am trying to say la.

Andy Ang said:
Yes. I mean when he got his multi-coated, he didn't realise that it is also a slim version.
Perhaps you misunderstood what I am trying to say la.
I hope he know the price difference between non-slim filter and slim filter ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

i tried stacking a HMC and a CPL together on my 18-70mm .... very visible vignetting on the wide side....

after that, i always jus use my CPL alone....

Artosoft said:
I hope he know the price difference between non-slim filter and slim filter ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

slim filters usually dont have front thread to stack more filters. Yeah you need to test on your lens. Iam using stacked filters 72mm on my wide lens but no vignetting :) sometimes you have problems with your lens itself as lightfall off which most ppl mistake for vignetting.

The older version of filters pass around 97.6% of light where as the new digital pass through 99% well who knows how true, but iam happy with mine stacked :sweatsm:

Artosoft said:

Regards,
Arto.

Maybe he was hard pressed to buy mah. So shop sell him the more expensive one lor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.