St petersburg safe?

dniwkh

Mar 19, 2012
I am planning a trip to Scandinavia and am thinking of swinging by to St petersburg.

searching the old threads I found this?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/travel-photography/767482-russia-photographers-beware-theft.html

Is St Petersburg really that bad? I am been to Europe last year Free and Easy to Munich, Rome, Venice, Lucerne and I feel pretty safe. Is St Petersburg worse??

Is a D700+70-200mm really that "attractive" to thefts?

Anyone been there recently?

I didn't find it unsafe.

Like everywhere else, just be mindful and careful.

Mindful that unlike Singapore, I don't hang my camera around my neck everywhere, going in/out cafes/restaurants, and sometimes leaving it on the tables etc.
Mindful that going into that dimly lighted alley for a shortcut is not a good idea
Mindful that not everyone asking to see your credentials is entitled to do so
etc
etc

I am planning a trip to Scandinavia and am thinking of swinging by to St petersburg.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/travel-photography/767482-russia-photographers-beware-theft.html

Is St Petersburg really that bad? I am been to Europe last year Free and Easy to Munich, Rome, Venice, Lucerne and I feel pretty safe. Is St Petersburg worse??

Erm. Anything is attractive to a thief. (ok maybe besides PNS.?) Just saying..if i am 1 ill take anything.

Just becareful, be alert and practice some common sense. (Sorry if the latter sounds offensive but cant think of any other way. no ill intention.)

See..safe or not is very subjective and to encounter thefts or not..is like depending on your luck also. You mention Europe is pretty safe. But hey. There are so many rob cases already. No? And to you. "I feel pretty safe". See what i meant? :) If theft issue is really worrying you. Give yourself a break. 1) dont bring the gear that u think will be dangerous. 2) Try other place that u think its safer?

Last but not least. hope you had a safe and enjoyable trip. ;)

At least in Leningrad they bother to distract you before they steal from you.

In a really bad country, they just stab you to death, then cooly take all your possessions. In broad daylight on the street and no one comes to your aid.

I remember see a lot of gypsies in Europe 7 years back when I went. It does not feel very safe.

But last year I went, it was really quite good. I see a lot of police at all the major tourist attractions. I am just wondering what is the status NOW in St petersburg. Did they clean it up like Paris, Rome, etc? I did not even encounter a single "Attempted" pick pocket in Rome.

IT will really sucks if there is a lot of people trying to distract you and steal your stuff.

I think what the other posters are trying to say is that your mileage will certainly vary at any location
I'll add that encountering the Romanis can be dependent on season; summer can be open season for pickpocketing

My colleague was at Trevi just in Dec last year, and watched two men pickpockets do just that - distract and try to lift an unsuspecting tourist's wallet
(And from his description, just an old caucasian uncle, wasn't even flashy, dressed in a driver's cap, pullover and a flannel shirt)
Hand went right into the back pocket but fished nothing out. And they went back on separate paths to sit on the steps, waiting for the next mark
Eyes locked with my colleague while picking out the crowd, and they simply upped and sauntered away
So to him Rome was unsafe, head shaking and raised eyebrows

Last edited: