ST interactive no longer free

Status
Not open for further replies.

swampthing

Feb 26, 2003
Visit site
ST interactive no longer going to be free...

Dear STi Reader,

You are getting this email from the ST Interactive team as you are among the more than 280,000 of our registered users.

We thank you for your interest in the website and would like to inform you about a major change coming to STI in March: After 10 years of giving ST news reports out for free online, STI will begin charging readers to access it.

A subscription will cost S$72 for six months (S$12 a month), or S$120 for a year (S$10 a month). A one-month subscription will cost S$15.

Why are we doing this?

We believe that we have a good and valuable product that users will want to pay for. It's also not a tenable business model to charge for the print edition of the newspaper and not for its online edition.

You will want to know whether you will get anything more, now that you have to pay.

The answer is yes.

You will notice that up till now, you get only three reports from Life! and Sunday Life through the week. If you subscribe, all the showbiz gossip and lifestyle features you see in the print edition of Life will be available online.

The weekly tech magazine Digital Life is available online now but a day after its print edition goes out with the newspaper. If you subscribe, Digital Life and the health magazine Mind Your Body -- now not online -- will become available from 6am on the same day they are distributed with the newspaper. The fashion magazine Urban will also go online, but later this year.

All news reports in the Money section will be available from 6am daily, instead of 6pm.

The last perk is that the archive will grow from the current three-days to seven-days. This means you can search back a week's worth of STI editions.

The above extras are what you will get if you take up a subscription, in addition to what STI currently offers -- ST print edition news, current day breaking news, webspecials and photo features.

To give you a taste of what you will get in the bumped-up STI, the website will be accessible free to registered readers like yourself for two weeks from March 1 till 14.

You have these two weeks to browse and sign up.

Since you are already a registered reader, you will NOT need to fill in your details again. We already have them. You will only need to indicate that you want to take up a subscription and provide your credit card details.

>From March 15 onwards, the site will become a subscribers-only website. Your subscription will take effect in April.

STI also has group subscription rates for institutions and companies. The larger the number of users in the group, the deeper the subscription discount. Do call (65) 6388-3838 or email stics@sph.com.sg for these rates.

We hope you will stay with us. STI aims to continue being your link to news on Singapore, the region and the world.

Yours sincerely,
The team at ST Interactive

Singapore Press Holdings Ltd.
Co. Regn. No. 198402868E.

ST website is just a photocopy of the day's newspaper articles. There are other better news website that are free.

I agree, particularly for International news.

And Life! ... man whatta joke.

w000t .. ah well, there goes one reader of STI to another site.

I don't visit ST, other sites like CNN, FoxNews, etc are way much better. Shame on ST. :thumbsd:

Drudkh said:
I don't visit ST, other sites like CNN, FoxNews, etc are way much better. Shame on ST. :thumbsd:

Yep, migrated to ChannelNews Asia and CNN some time ago. I heard about this over wedding dinner conversation a few months back. If those others are free and ST wants to charge? What a joke!

free newspaper no more and a thread about free photographer....hee hee.... :sticktong

That's the problem when you do not have competition in the industry.

I guess soon, Today will no longer be free.

Well, I'm going to write to them and thank them for letting me read the ST Interactive free of charge for all these years. I am also going to tell that now that they no longer want to give me free access, I would want to withdraw my name/email from their list of contacts. Why should I continue to receive spam from them if they don't want to grant me free access?

:)

In any case theres always www.todayonline.com.

How many of us here actually subscribe to newspapers anyway? I dont.

Expected it, the moment they require login/password, I knew this was going to happen.

:)

They can stick it up their a**es! The way they said as if they are the only online news. :thumbsd:

aiyoh....

and if you count the math... its not especially cheap, especially since there is no video..

might as well subscribe to the canadian network which offers news with nothing to hide!

:bsmilie:
U guys know that the ST reporter is also surfing this CS website, right? Some times they will quote what we write here :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Got annoyed with STI when they introduced registration to read - then used bugmenot and got shown a good username/password "stisucks" hehe... thought it was quite funny. Won't be reading STI anymore.

Drudkh said:

Just curious, you don't find sites like CNN and FoxNews biased ? I find them really biased. I quite like more open news sites like the BBC and Aus ABC.

so, that's why we shld be have free photography in the first place right?

after people get use to free stuff, when we start charging, people will say the same thing we say now! :sticktong

Paul_Yeo said:
so, that's why we shld be have free photography in the first place right?

after people get use to free stuff, when we start charging, people will say the same thing we say now! :sticktong

That's why in the first place "free photography" is discouraged here (i think)... of course, the other side of the coin is... got free... y pay?

I've bitched to sti.

remember, if gmail and hotmail can monetize their customers without charging them, surely sti can, what the heck are the adverts for? will there still be adverts for paid subscription (yes).. duh. ----

short bitch letter to sph on sti interactive becoming subscription model.

While its strictly your business model and if I don't like it i can walk (which I will), I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Many online papers do not charge to view, eg
The Age (Melbourne)
Sydney Morning Herald
Washington Post
NY Times
New Straits Times (Malaysia)
The Star (Malaysia)
International Herald Tribune
Google news
Yahoo News
etc...

unless you figure out how to get paid advertising on the web (without popups and other forms of obstrusiveness), your paid model's success will ultimately be lacklustre..

furthermore, as a "promoter of national interests" and thus an obvious pro *** bias, I think if I have to pay to read your news, I can do without..

feel free to forward to your ceo, it appears he is out of touch with the prevailing consumer expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.