ST Forum: Can't one take photos in MRT stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Story/STIStory_153050.html

WHEN did taking photos in MRT stations become a crime?
I was at the Boon Lay Station recently to photograph the Jurong West housing estate when a member of the MRT staff stopped me and demanded my identity card. Naturally, I baulked at his request. He then attempted to detain me at the control station and wanted to call the police to arrest me.

As a freelance photojournalist, I have taken pictures all over Singapore, including in a few MRT stations, the ICA Building, the Changi Expo, Changi Airport and, more recently, street scenes during our National Day celebrations. I have not been stopped by anyone, and it was done in full view of security personnel and the police.

If there are newly imposed restrictions, it is necessary that the public be informed.

Soh Oon Teck

Anyone saw this letter in the ST Forum? This is something that should be close to our heart in Clubsnap. I got to admit that I too was apprehensive about taking photos in Changi Airport a few years after 9-11.

Yeah, I heard about it. Just an unlucky day for him lor. :) Next time he knows what to do...

just remember, don't act suspicious.
don't wear a black cap with sunglasses :bsmilie: ;)

just pretend you are a tourist. should be no problem.

just remember, don't act suspicious.
don't wear a black cap with sunglasses :bsmilie: ;)

just pretend you are a tourist. should be no problem.

Parkview Square has a super grand and ornate, oppulent lobby. But no photography, says the jaga, the lobby bar and a sign by the entrance. But how did my foreigner friend (ang mo) manage to shoot inside? :think::eek:

Parkview Square has a super grand and ornate, oppulent lobby. But no photography, says the jaga, the lobby bar and a sign by the entrance. But how did my foreigner friend (ang mo) manage to shoot inside? :think::eek:

I think you missed the little sign that says "No local photographers and dogs allowed."

But all tourists wear black caps with sunglasses.

hehe... you are not in singapore, you don't get it.... hehehe.... :bsmilie:

The jaga is treading on dangerous ground. Racism can be charged under the Sedition Act.

Lets see if any officials will reply, although I doubt it because it call fall under too many authorities' areas that they will all hide in the "mass crowd"

let's hold our horses. i suspect that smrt will respond as a member of their staff, supposedly, was identified in the letter. possibly, together with transit police arm of our police.

Lets see if any officials will reply, although I doubt it because it call fall under too many authorities' areas that they will all hide in the "mass crowd"

do you remember that incident
where people taped down an mrt station scene
and tried to bomb it or something

was it JI or what
probably linked to this

anyhow, changi airport not supposed to shoot inside, i thought, if you want must apply and pay $$$

SMART already responded and replied that no photo-taking at the MRT station is allowed without prior approval. One need to seek approval from the Station Manager.

So, basically, photo-taking in general is allowed, with permission.

Duh, then how about those passengers taking snap shots using their handphones on some inconsiderate consumers? Does this means that they also can take photo inside the MRT?

But the thing is, I have seen so many people, locals or foreigners, all had taken so many photos in and around MRT station before, how come no one stops them before then? And whether using a P&S, DSLR or handphone, taking photo is taking photo, should apply across the entire spectrum, is it some double standard here?

SMART already responded and replied that no photo-taking at the MRT station is allowed without prior approval. One need to seek approval from the Station Manager.

Duh, then how about those passengers taking snap shots using their handphones on some inconsiderate consumers? Does this means that they also can take photo inside the MRT?

But the thing is, I have seen so many people, locals or foreigners, all had taken so many photos in and around MRT station before, how come no one stops them before then? And whether using a P&S, DSLR or handphone, taking photo is taking photo, should apply across the entire spectrum, is it some double standard here?
Perhaps at the moment these tourist take pics, there was no staff around?

Anyway, REAL terrorist will NOT take pics in public! They wil do it concealed.....It is something that some don't think about.....

HS

Perhaps at the moment these tourist take pics, there was no staff around?

Anyway, REAL terrorist will NOT take pics in public! They wil do it concealed.....It is something that some don't think about.....

HS

Ya. Which terrorist spy in his right mind will shoot with a big DSLR and huge lens?:sweatsm:

They're afraid that the public will be against the full wall beer advertisement at Bugis MRT station if photos were taken and published in the press.

where can i find smrt's response? thanks.

Purposely go & disturb them. Stand outside the MRT & shoot inside, since one is not on MRT properties, the MRT staff cannot detain you.
I've seen so many tourists take pictures inside the MRT also nothing wrong.
Why dont the MRT staff go & catch those people who eat on the trains instead? So free nothing to do.

where can i find smrt's response? thanks.
I have not seen any response from the ST Forum page by SMRT also, but had read a news report in a Chinese evening newspaper. Their reporters went to interview and enquired SMRT management and that's their reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.