St. Andrew Cathedral

Status
Not open for further replies.
patience my young padawan... :D
I notice u complained only after 26 hours and during the 1st day of new year some more... ;) there wasn't many ppl around online... cept me n pentiumpc... LOL
As for seeing your pic, I looked at it twice :). Not bad, but I didn't see anything to criticise, except maybe the cyan signature is out of place, which is a niggling detail and I wanted to go out already... :D

how to improve:
+ add bats
+ add bat droppings to the left arch
+ add 2 fire torches on both arches
+ add cracks to the exterior
+ destroy inner arch door, create dust and smoke
+ add cob webs

:D

ok honestly i think its a very good shot,
but in my personal perference i would prefer something less tight, if i keep looking at this shot, the overal feel is a tight neck looking up, abit of an uneasy feeling. could be me. but the mood is well expressed, if what you want to convey is rather dark and morbid.
refer to top of my message for more info. heheee

how to improve:
+ add bats
+ add bat droppings to the left arch
+ add 2 fire torches on both arches
+ add cracks to the exterior
+ destroy inner arch door, create dust and smoke
+ add cob webs

What! Do you wan me to end up in jail? :what:
Might as well include some explosion scene.... :devil:

ok honestly i think its a very good shot,
but in my personal perference i would prefer something less tight, if i keep looking at this shot, the overal feel is a tight neck looking up, abit of an uneasy feeling. could be me. but the mood is well expressed, if what you want to convey is rather dark and morbid.
refer to top of my message for more info. heheee

I think its boils down to personal style.

BTW, denizenx when do I become to become a padawan?
I would rather be the director so can takan the actor and actress....:devil:

Thanks again for the comments....

Originally posted by PentiumPC
Relax lah..... The pic is nice.... Just didn't know what to comment.... I like it though. I always wanted to shoot at the church, didn't get myself to do it.

Don't stop posting ... Taking photo is for self-fulfilment, posting is for fun, comments .... er.... no comments.

I think CNY everybody has been busy..... and everybody is someone...

Will comment on your pics the next time you post... just don't complian about the quality of the comment.... hope I don't have to be someone to comment..

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Try posting in both "www.photo.net" together with "www.clubsnap.com". I usually get much constructive comments and tips from the former. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by lazyfiddler
I have got a colour shot of the cathedral which I took in the day and I think taken from the same perspective as 'scanner' did but I didn't include the entrance arches in the shot when I took the picture.

sac.jpg

Is there some vignetting here? :|

Nice shot! and nice sky! did u do any post processing? so blue! haven't seen one of these since i came back from egypt :)

Originally posted by e_liau
Try posting in both "www.photo.net" together with "www.clubsnap.com". I usually get much constructive comments and tips from the former. Hope this helps.
eh? isn't "www.clubsnap.com" same as here? :dunno:

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh

Is there some vignetting here? :|

Nice shot! and nice sky! did u do any post processing? so blue! haven't seen one of these since i came back from egypt :)

Vignetting? Ummm.. not sure but it appears that the top left-hand corner of the frame seems a little darker. Could be the dark shade of the tree leaves in the foreground.

Post processing was the unsharp mask. I scanned this shot from a 4R matt print which I think I misplaced. Can't seemed to find it. :(

I was really lucky that day when I shot this photo when the sky came out clear. I used a polariser to enhance the saturation and I guess it did help. :)

Originally posted by Larry
eh? isn't "www.clubsnap.com" same as here? :dunno:
Yeah, I'm referring to "Clubsnap" as a good place to post photos. Another good place will be "Photo.net". However, I usually post my photos in the latter. Maybe I'll post some here next time. Cheers.

the angle seems narrow enough but perhaps it's just the polariser at work at a different angle. after all the building looks pretty bright so the sky could have relatively been polarised to black.

DSCF0005e.jpg

having seen those wondeful pics of scanner n lazyfiddler, i decided 2 try my luck. no wide angle or telephoto lens so had 2 make do with the angle available. haizzz...

Originally posted by RedDevil7
DSCF0005e.jpg

having seen those wondeful pics of scanner n lazyfiddler, i decided 2 try my luck. no wide angle or telephoto lens so had 2 make do with the angle available. haizzz...

:thumbsup: Awesome! RedDevil7. This is a powerful shot. Never thought of this angle. Thanks for the inspiration! I will go back to the cathedral to get this shot too! :D

having seen those wondeful pics of scanner n lazyfiddler, i decided 2 try my luck. no wide angle or telephoto lens so had 2 make do with the angle available. haizzz... [/B]
Oh, you're flattening me....thanks :embrass:

And this is what I called learning. We photograpghy should learn from each other...keep learning and we will improve!
RedDevil7, your shots looks interesting, however I have a feeling that something is amiss from the pic...... what do you think?

lazyfiddler, looking forward to your posting... ;)

Tricky exposure calculation.But i think its either u expose the inside or outside, so nothing is wrong since your emphasis is on the whole structure by the way you crop.

But its a bit lob sided.. i know its not easy taking from that angle..hhee

Oi.. you PM is full..

OK, I've cleared the mailbox.

What I've in mind while taking this picture -
Beside showing the "Majestic feel" of the building , you will notice that there 2 entrances, one leading to another.....the door in door feeling.....

Just my thought.....;)

posted by lazyfiddler

Awesome! RedDevil7. This is a powerful shot. Never thought of this angle. Thanks for the inspiration! I will go back to the cathedral to get this shot too!

thanx for the compliment. unfortunately the right side of the sky is 2 cloudy. it would b much nicer if its a clearer blue sky. should have waited for the clouds 2 move away. in fact the winds were blowing them from right 2 left dat afternoon.

for yr case it should b much easier if u have a wa lens. i had 2 strain my neck n get down so low 2 the ground. lol...

posted by scanner

Oh, you're flattening me....thanks

And this is what I called learning. We photograpghy should learn from each other...keep learning and we will improve!
RedDevil7, your shots looks interesting, however I have a feeling that something is amiss from the pic...... what do you think?

no seriously dat was a pretty good shot on yr part. i seriously dunno wat else is missing from my pic. care 2 enlighten me? i'm learning as well. maybe since the few of us share a common interest 2 shoot abstract n landscapes, we can gather 2 try our luck together.

posted by pokka

nice. IMHO will look better in B/W

dscf0005n.jpg

how abt something like this as suggested by u? not exactly black n white. used the negative function in photostudio 2 convert it.

posted schmott

Tricky exposure calculation.But i think its either u expose the inside or outside, so nothing is wrong since your emphasis is on the whole structure by the way you crop.

r u referring 2 me? wat do u mean by my pm is full? *scratch head*

r u referring 2 me? wat do u mean by my pm is full? *scratch head*

He is referring to my mailbox...not you. :bsmilie:

OK, after looking at your B/W version, I think I know the answer.
It the black color portion (at the lower part) of your picture that is distracting and offers somekind of uncertainy feeling....

Definitely, the B/W version is much better, its cover up the "flaw" in your previous one.

Keep shooting and keep learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.