Sri Lanka - must go places for photography and or other tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

novello76

Jul 11, 2004
I am planning for a trip to Sri Lanka in late Dec or Jan..will be going with an external org to do some relief work and will prob stay on or go earlier to spend a few days to explore etc..

Any recommendations which are the must go places for photography? (I like landscape / street / potrait type). Other travel tips with regards to Sri Lanka appreciated as well.

Not sure if its safe to bring a d70, tokina 12-24, tamron 28-75, sigma 70-200 and sb800 setup as well? Thanks.

anyone who can advise? Thks.

Between your camera and your life, which is more valuable? If you are worried about your camera in Sri Lanka, shouldn't you be more worried about your own life even more? For me, I am prepared to protect my camera with my life. :)

If you want to go for photography, then of course bring.
If you want to go for just relief work, then don't bring. Just bring a P&S lor.

It's election month at the moment so you should try to make your trip only from Jan or Feb to let things cool down a little. Security can be an issue. Even my Sri Lankan colleagues have avoided going back these couple of months.

Sri Lanka is a beautiful place with plenty of great photo opportunities. I like Galle Fort in Galle where many couples go for romantic escapades. You'd see them hiding behind large umbrellas to shield themselves from the public eye, I think they make a hilarious shot.

Sigiriya Rock is another must see place. This amazing feat of ancient engineering is quite a site to behold. A fortress built on top of a huge rock rising more than 200 meters, with gardens below. This world heritage site was constructed in 5 AD.

Other places to consider... Dambulla, Kandy, Trincomalee and within Colombo too.

sri lanka is a very nice place....if u can, spend about 10 -14 days there, travelling round the island. it is safer there than u think, n there are no beggars on the streets.

Colombo itself has many opportunities for streets shoot...Kandy is nice too, the temple that keeps the buddha's tooth...the drive to kandy is also pleasant too

i also went up to the tea plantation, cooling n scenic too....

just watch out for the traffic, look left, right then left n right again before crossing

enjoy yr trip

Status
Not open for further replies.