sRGB vs Prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

weimng

May 21, 2007
Singapore, North
Hi fellow CSers,

Firstly, I'm new to picture processing. I'm using sRGB for editing. Hi Guys!

Secondly, I'm encountering some problems. I did some editing in lightroom 2.6 on some photos recently, and printed them out on snapfish on 4R. In the printout, the colour white balance seems to be slightly off, picture seems more saturated, and the exposure seems to be down by around a stop in the prints.

Is this normal?

yes its normal. usually when i print stuff its cmyk, not rgb. rgb is what ur pc shows:x

right?

Hi Allen thanks for your reply. Yup I didn't know snapfish uses CMYK.

Which is better than?
Do you think it's better for me to convert my images to CMYK or find a sRGB lab?

Any recommendations? Where do you guys print your 4Rs anyway?

Hi Allen thanks for your reply. Yup I didn't know snapfish uses CMYK.

Which is better than?
Do you think it's better for me to convert my images to CMYK or find a sRGB lab?

No, do not convert to CMYK unless your images are going to be printed on a printing press with color separations. If you don't understand the peculiarities of CMYK, leave it alone, because it can really screw up your colors.

colorwheeljpeg.gif

For ordinary photo printers, stick with sRGB. Most labs accept sRGB and many even require it. You might try Mpix.com. They do professional grade work but aren't expensive. They're also very reliable. I've been using them for several years.

Last edited:
i've seen the website. Do you know whether the 19cents 4R prints are in sRGB? If so, i'm considering their services, looks pretty good.

i've seen the website. Do you know whether the 19cents 4R prints are in sRGB? If so, i'm considering their services, looks pretty good.

Mpix requires that you save in sRGB for all printing (but don't embed the sRGB profile). See this page for more details: http://mpix.com/support/Help.aspx?id=3

Hi Visited Mpix.com

They are US and Canada based.
Thanks for all the help bros, guess I gotta find another cheap source with sRGB.

You still haven't said where you are ... :think:

Hi Peano, most of the members here are in Singapore.
ive emailed mpix awhile back with regards to the shipping policy and yeah...... they dont ship out of US. What a pity. A fren of mine tried snapfish, along with other local companies that takes in orders via the web, and theyre not quite happy with the results.

I havent tried snapfish myself though.

I tried snapfish 4R. The colours came out weird. I'm currently asking about their color profiling.

Yup,

My monitor is calibrated.
The calander printed from snapfish shows correct colour as my monitor, but the 4R prints differs. Awaiting response from snapfish. Will let you know once revert.

Status
Not open for further replies.