sRGB vs Adobe RGB

Joshelerry

Apr 5, 2013
Singapore
Hi, can anyone explain more in detail regarding sRGB and adobe RGB.

Which mode do one normally use? The reason why user chose it.

Factors that involve Post processing, printing, web upload, picture quality etc...

As far as web is concerned, I believe the 'standard' is sRGB. According to my readings, only if you are dealing with prints frequently, then one would be using aRGB.

That said, my last print was in sRGB. Changing it to aRGB changes the color... so I left it alone..

Last edited:
If you shoot in RAW format only, you can ignore setting the color space in camera, that only apply on jpg or tiff file format create by the cameras.

when you process your RAW files in Lightroom or Photoshop, you only set color space when you export your images to tiff or jpg.

you can export tiff files in adobeRGB if you need to rework them in Photoshop, but you need select a color space that suits your final usage when export your final output

if you upload your image for online sharing, use sRGB only.

if you send your images for lab printing, use sRGB only,

for other types of printing, check with your printers what is the color space and type of file format they accept.

you use adobeRGB color on your final output only by specific request.

btw, I export all my tiff in AdobeRGB as I need to rework them in photoshop
I export jpg in AdobeRGB for stock photo submission.
I export jpg in sRGB for any other usage.

Nice summary.

If you shoot in RAW format only, you can ignore setting the color space in camera, that only apply on jpg or tiff file format create by the cameras.

when you process your RAW files in Lightroom or Photoshop, you only set color space when you export your images to tiff or jpg.

you can export tiff files in adobeRGB if you need to rework them in Photoshop, but you need select a color space that suits your final usage when export your final output

if you upload your image for online sharing, use sRGB only.

if you send your images for lab printing, use sRGB only,

for other types of printing, check with your printers what is the color space and type of file format they accept.

you use adobeRGB color on your final output only by specific request.

btw, I export all my tiff in AdobeRGB as I need to rework them in photoshop
I export jpg in AdobeRGB for stock photo submission.
I export jpg in sRGB for any other usage.

Thanks for advice, I'm using DPP (Canon) software & learning LR5 at the moment. Do you know how to set the RGB settings in this 2?
I generally shoot in RAW and mostly use my photos for upload of Stock, web etc. Print rarely. Photoshop rarely use.

I do not have Canon DPP Software, but I Google it.

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/sys...ZONE_OFFSET&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=38453

and I also Google a Lightroom export panel.

export.jpg

I do not have Canon DPP Software, but I Google it.

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/sys...ZONE_OFFSET&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=38453

and I also Google a Lightroom export panel.

export.jpg

i got another question, abt this .
camera can shoot in both raw and jpeg together
is it recommended to shoot in both ?

or i can just shoot in raw and then export them out to jpeg later, but is the jpeg and the jpeg export from computer same ?

or i can just shoot in raw and then export them out to jpeg later, but is the jpeg and the jpeg export from computer same ?

Different.

It will be different because camera and software processes JPEG files differently. Whether you want to shoot in RAW+JPEG is entirely up to you. People who do this are normally sports, press, events, weddings etc photographers, where they need/will be able to send the small JPEG file quickly/print quickly.

can do does not mean you must do,

do you need it in the first place?