SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cklingkwok

Mar 26, 2008
Hi,

Was using my DSLR, which format is gd? which 1 give a nicer picture?
Any diff?

You may also want to check the Digital Darkroom section. Such questions are answered there frequently.
Beside this: AdobeRGB only makes sense if your equipment (monitor, printer etc.) is able to display this colour space properly. If not (most consumer displays cannot) then either the display will be mapped to sRGB (depends on the image software you are using to display and edit your pciture) or your colours will look dull.

Hi,

Not sure if there is a thread on this in the section
Any diff?

Erm.. please do not do cross-posting .. and please read the existing threads to honour the time and efforts dedicated by fellow photographers here.

SRGB is pretty common place in monitors, typical home printing, and especially internet.

Adobe RGB has a wider gamut that supports many of the wider gamut photo printers, and is starting to pick up online. The only issue is that current browsers are mostly not color managed except safari and mozilla, and adobe RGB profile pictures might turn out duller. Maybe the next IE might implement it.

There is a visible difference when i display these pictures in mozilla vs IE.

For me I work save process everything in Adobe RGB up to the point i send the files for printing companies.

Ryan

Last edited:
Erm.. please do not do cross-posting .. and please read the existing threads to honour the time and efforts dedicated by fellow photographers here.

Sorry abt that

sRGB if you want to post the pictures online. I use Adobe RGB only for printing.

I have taken ONE picture in AdobeRGB, put it into photoshop, then saved it in both color spaces and with/without ICC profile embedded.
Conclusion: Images saved in Adobe RGB (1998) with and without embedded ICC profile, appear washed out.

AdobeRGB-----vs-----sRGB
ARGB+w+ICC.jpg
SRGB+w+ICC.jpg

more samples here

For most output devices (printers, web), sRGB should reproduce WYSIWYG. Only special printing services provide devices that can interpret and print according to AdobeRGB and ICC profiles. Hence, imo, it is safest to shoot and work in sRGB. Unless you want to take a step further by shooting in AdobeRGB work in AdobeRGB then save as sRGB by converting the color space or using the 'save for web'.

I have taken ONE picture in AdobeRGB, put it into photoshop, then saved it in both color spaces and with/without ICC profile embedded.
Conclusion: Images saved in Adobe RGB (1998) with and without embedded ICC profile, appear washed out.
er... that should depend on whether the viewing software is colour aware (as well as possibly the rendering intent in the colour space conversion process)...

just checked the original files in the "more sample here" link, found that, using Adobe Bridge and opening in Photoshop CS3,

1) only the "ARGB w ICC" image has an embedded colour space
2) other than the images "ARGB w ICC" and "ARGB wO ICC", the other images were all brighter and more saturated, whether in Bridge or opened in Photoshop... could be a rendering intent issue in the conversion?... how was the conversion from Adobe RGB to sRGB carried out?

er... that should depend on whether the viewing software is colour aware (as well as possibly the rendering intent in the colour space conversion process)...

just checked the original files in the "more sample here" link, found that, using Adobe Bridge and opening in Photoshop CS3,

1) only the "ARGB w ICC" image has an embedded colour space
2) other than the images "ARGB w ICC" and "ARGB wO ICC", the other images were all brighter and more saturated, whether in Bridge or opened in Photoshop... could be a rendering intent issue in the conversion?... how was the conversion from Adobe RGB to sRGB carried out?

used 'edit > convert to profile' as shown here (in Section 5)
i am really amatuer at this, but since it gives me the results for uploading and developing,
i have been using this method to save my jpegs.
still not sure why my exif viewer showed 'uncalibrated' for sRGB files. :dunno:
care to enlighten?

Last edited:

AdobeRGB-----vs-----sRGB
ARGB+w+ICC.jpg
SRGB+w+ICC.jpg

more samples here

For most output devices (printers, web), sRGB should reproduce WYSIWYG. Only special printing services provide devices that can interpret and print according to AdobeRGB and ICC profiles. Hence, imo, it is safest to shoot and work in sRGB. Unless you want to take a step further by shooting in AdobeRGB work in AdobeRGB then save as sRGB by converting the color space or using the 'save for web'.

The pic in SRGB look better.
Think with editing in other software , SRGB is better ba.

Status
Not open for further replies.