Square filter

canonmono

Nov 22, 2010
Yew Tee
Im using my 12mm f2 olympus and Im thinking of buying the HITECH square filter but some say the 85mm is enough and I read some review and they state 100 or 150 is more suitable .. so which shd I get .. Dont wish to get the wrong size and end up cropping ..

Im using my EP3 for my 12mm and tokina 11-16mm size 77mm thread for my canon 60D so I shd get 85 or 100?

i am using cokin P holder with Hitech 85 mm filters(ND,GND soft, GND hard, prostopper) on my canon 60D with 77mm lenses(sigma 17-50,10-20), so far i have no issues with these filters, i dont see any vignetting or any other problems. i can post some sample pics if you want to check.

Im using my EP3 for my 12mm and tokina 11-16mm size 77mm thread for my canon 60D so I shd get 85 or 100?

My take: bite the bullet just go for 100mm especially since you are using the same filter set for your EF lenses. However you will need 46mm step-up ring as the smallest Hitech 100mm adapter ring is 49mm.

85mm will surely work for your Tokina 11-16 and Olympus 12mm, but 100mm is more future proof especially if you get lenses with larger filter size.

Hello, 85mm is enough for the 12mm, i use on my 9-18mm (52mm filter thread) and no vignetting.

What you read on the internet is for APS-C and FF camera where lens are big. So the general recommendation is having a big square 100/150mm filter as 85mm may cause vignetting with a UWA.

But m4/3 lens are very small compared to DSLR lens (compared your lens with a Canon 24mm), so you do not need 100mm filters, 85mm is more than enough.

Last edited:
yrh0413 said:
My take: bite the bullet just go for 100mm especially since you are using the same filter set for your EF lenses. However you will need 46mm step-up ring as the smallest Hitech 100mm adapter ring is 49mm.

85mm will surely work for your Tokina 11-16 and Olympus 12mm, but 100mm is more future proof especially if you get lenses with larger filter size.

I think just go straight for Lee or china brand adapter ring & 100mm holder, and buy Hitech 100mm filters. Value for money with ease of setup and future compatibility

Im using my 12mm f2 olympus and Im thinking of buying the HITECH square filter but some say the 85mm is enough and I read some review and they state 100 or 150 is more suitable .. so which shd I get .. Dont wish to get the wrong size and end up cropping ..

size of the square filter has nothing to do with cropping your photo if it is wrong size. Not like your clothes where you have to send it to your tailor if it is too big for you.

your main concern should rather be; if there is vignetting and the cost of the filters. (maybe also the choice of filters available)
The smaller the filters are, the cheaper it is.
The bigger the filters are, less or no vignetting in your photos.
If this is the only camera (m 4/3) you are using and will be in the future, getting the 85mm sq filter set is more than sufficient for your needs

Last edited:
I shot 11mm with a NDx400 and a Tian Ya 85mm filter holder (single slot), no uncorrectable vignetting.

11mm with NDx400 + NDx16 + Tian Ya 85mm filter holder (single slot), slight physical vignetting. 12mm correctable vignetting. Completely gone by 13mm.

get the 100mm, u wun go wrong.

just in case u decided to get a 82mm canon wide angle lens (16-35mm) in future. a lot of third party lens also using 82mm especially sigma lens.

85mm will be a tight fit if u have a 82mm lens later on.

nothing to do with cropping because your filter will cover the whole lens (front element).

personally i wun rely too much on m4/3 cameras for landscape shoot (to be frank). i find the models now (at least for now), still cannot match up to FF DSLR cams. Reason being, the widest length u can go is still 24mm (crop factor of 2 for 12mm) while a FF DSLR the widest lens u can use is sigma 12-24mm (widest you can go is a whooping 12mm!). This alone, m4/3 cannot match. Quality wise, subjective but IMO, still cannot match.

Last edited:
I think just go straight for Lee or china brand adapter ring & 100mm holder, and buy Hitech 100mm filters. Value for money with ease of setup and future compatibility

I'm total opposite from what you are thinking. I rather go for hitech or 3rd party 100mm holder and ring, then if possible, get Lee Filters but if budget constraints, then get hitech.

HighTone said:
I'm total opposite from what you are thinking. I rather go for hitech or 3rd party 100mm holder and ring, then if possible, get Lee Filters but if budget constraints, then get hitech.

Lol, not exactly opposite bro. The differences are Hitech adapters are not compatible with Lee or china holders, and Hitech holders uses thinner filters made by Hitech.

Of cos, if you want the best of best filter, Lee is the way to go, I rather sacrifice 10 ~ 20% image quality for 45% money savings. Local landscapes dun really make money bro. Most of us are purely hobbyist when it comes to landscape photography.

Please do not go for Hitech holder and adapter rings; their holder has a serious design flaw: there is no way to secure the adapter ring to the holder. You risk dropping the whole holder if you are not careful when you turn the holder.

I returned my Hitech holder set in exchange for a Lee Foundation kit. The Lee kit is much much better.

To clear some doubts:
1. Lee holder is compatible with both Hitech and Lee filters, be it 100 x 100mm or 100 x 150mm.
2. The only filter you need to be aware of is Hitech ProStopper (10x ND). ProStopper comes with a foam gasket at the rear of the filter, you need to get the Lee-compatible version for your Lee folder.

Please do not go for Hitech holder and adapter rings; their holder has a serious design flaw: there is no way to secure the adapter ring to the holder. You risk dropping the whole holder if you are not careful when you turn the holder.

I returned my Hitech holder set in exchange for a Lee Foundation kit. The Lee kit is much much better.

To clear some doubts:
1. Lee holder is compatible with both Hitech and Lee filters, be it 100 x 100mm or 100 x 150mm.
2. The only filter you need to be aware of is Hitech ProStopper (10x ND). ProStopper comes with a foam gasket at the rear of the filter, you need to get the Lee-compatible version for your Lee folder.

Lol, not exactly opposite bro. The differences are Hitech adapters are not compatible with Lee or china holders, and Hitech holders uses thinner filters made by Hitech.

Of cos, if you want the best of best filter, Lee is the way to go, I rather sacrifice 10 ~ 20% image quality for 45% money savings. Local landscapes dun really make money bro. Most of us are purely hobbyist when it comes to landscape photography.

Wow.. thanks to both, now I know. I got nearly got a hitech.

I think mine is a 3rd party ones. maybe its a china brand.

I shot 11mm with a NDx400 and a Tian Ya 85mm filter holder (single slot), no uncorrectable vignetting.

11mm with NDx400 + NDx16 + Tian Ya 85mm filter holder (single slot), slight physical vignetting. 12mm correctable vignetting. Completely gone by 13mm.

You can turn the holder horizontal to have no vignetting even at 10mm.
But light leak on the corners is the major problem with the TianYa holder.
I need to wrap the whole thing with my tripod bag (ie. black cloth) to prevent it.

get the 100mm, u wun go wrong.

just in case u decided to get a 82mm canon wide angle lens (16-35mm) in future. a lot of third party lens also using 82mm especially sigma lens.

85mm will be a tight fit if u have a 82mm lens later on.

nothing to do with cropping because your filter will cover the whole lens (front element).

personally i wun rely too much on m4/3 cameras for landscape shoot (to be frank). i find the models now (at least for now), still cannot match up to FF DSLR cams. Reason being, the widest length u can go is still 24mm (crop factor of 2 for 12mm) while a FF DSLR the widest lens u can use is sigma 12-24mm (widest you can go is a whooping 12mm!). This alone, m4/3 cannot match. Quality wise, subjective but IMO, still cannot match.

Widest lens on m4/3 is actually 7-14. Which is 14mm to 28mm on FF.
But I have to say that m4/3 file is more 'brittle' compared to ones from APS-C when it needs to be pushed in PP.

Wow.. thanks to both, now I know. I got nearly got a hitech.

hitech is not that bad... as long as you get the correct one if u are using a LEE filter holder system.

Below is a photo I took when I am still using hitech with LEE filter holder:

6249260665_8e4806b5a6.jpg

hitech ND filters got a cool color cast though.