square filter bundled set or just one filter

Roboflame

Sep 20, 2010
Australia
Hi all,

I am thinking about to buy a CPL for my lens 58mm. I found out that only filter is cost 40 SGD for me. But if I buy square filter bundled set it will cost 110 SGD and got a lot of filter.
I have problems to make decision.

So, can you please help me ? And which brand is good for me.

Thanks All.

If the filter set you are talking about is the Tianya set, which I think you are talking about, then don't bother. You're not gonna touch half the filters inside 99% of your shooting life.

There are many screw-in filter brands that are pretty decent. Do a search and decide for yourself. Personally, I use a Hoya CPL.

it depends on your budget. From the most expensive to the cheapest(if I'm not wrong). Lee Filter, Hi-tech, Corkins and Tianya.

The best features of a square filter is the ease of sliding the filter in and it is great for gnd filters as you can adjust the "amount inserted in" and easily rotated as well.

Generally, gnd are good for landscape photography when it can be used to "balance" the "brightness" and "darkness" of the sky, land or buildings.

however, I'm not too sure about the cpl filters for square filter holder. Never use any before.

Last edited:
it depends on your budget. From the most expensive to the cheapest(if I'm not wrong). Lee Filter, Hi-tech, Corkins and Tianya.

The best features of a square filter is the ease of sliding the filter in and it is great for gnd filters as you can adjust the "amount inserted in" and easily rotated as well.

Generally, gnd are good for landscape photography when it can be used to "balance" the "brightness" and "darkness" of the sky, land or buildings.

however, I'm not too sure about the cpl filters for square filter holder. Never use any before.

Thank You coolthought. :) I learn a lot from your info.

If the filter set you are talking about is the Tianya set, which I think you are talking about, then don't bother. You're not gonna touch half the filters inside 99% of your shooting life.

There are many screw-in filter brands that are pretty decent. Do a search and decide for yourself. Personally, I use a Hoya CPL.

Thank you candycaine. Yeah, I am talking about Tianya. Where did you buy your Honya CPL? Any shop for CPL for me.

square filters are troublesome if you're moving around, since you can't protect them... I see one piece of glass exposed like that, also a bit scared... :)
But square GND filters are great coz you can shift the transition line (from dark to light) by quite a bit.

So in conclusion, each has its pros and cons. Not the answer you were searching for, eh? ;)

You can buy filters from most of the reputable camera shops that are listed on Clubsnap. They tend to be clustered around the Peninsula/Funan area.

square filters are troublesome if you're moving around, since you can't protect them... I see one piece of glass exposed like that, also a bit scared... :)
But square GND filters are great coz you can shift the transition line (from dark to light) by quite a bit.
C'mon, give it a break. How much protection do we want to have here? Just waiting for the day when we seal our cameras in plastic shrink wrap ... Once you have mounted a square filter holder you'll be careful automatically, cause the holder is quite bulky. Nobody let's it dangle around waist level on R-strap. Most people use square filters when camera is mounted on tripod. A nice filter pouch helps also.
AFAIK, the Tianya CPL is a round filter, it just needs the holder to fix it in front of the lens. Can also be hand held.

C'mon, give it a break. How much protection do we want to have here? Just waiting for the day when we seal our cameras in plastic shrink wrap ... Once you have mounted a square filter holder you'll be careful automatically, cause the holder is quite bulky. Nobody let's it dangle around waist level on R-strap. Most people use square filters when camera is mounted on tripod. A nice filter pouch helps also.
AFAIK, the Tianya CPL is a round filter, it just needs the holder to fix it in front of the lens. Can also be hand held.
which is my point... they're troublesome if those are the only filters you have and you move around.

Like I said, each type of filter has its pros and cons. They tend to be more suitable for different situations. I never said anything about shrink wrapping the filters... please don't misquote me... thanks :)

For Cokin, the CPL just slide into the first slot and you can turn it.

For Lee and Hitech, you need to attach an additional CPL bracket to use the CPL....

Hi all,

I am thinking about to buy a CPL for my lens 58mm. I found out that only filter is cost 40 SGD for me. But if I buy square filter bundled set it will cost 110 SGD and got a lot of filter.
I have problems to make decision.

So, can you please help me ? And which brand is good for me.

Thanks All.

i'm using the cpl from tianya. i'll say its acceptable. because i do take occasional landscapes with my filters, i do play around with the gnds, nds and the like. i'll say its not a bad buy considering u can use cokin on it too.

i'm using the cpl from tianya. i'll say its acceptable. because i do take occasional landscapes with my filters, i do play around with the gnds, nds and the like. i'll say its not a bad buy considering u can use cokin on it too.

Biggest issue I have with Tianya is the nonexistant QC. My GND gives a bad, bad purple colour cast so much so that I usually exposure blend instead of using the GND to nail the shot in a single exposure.

Biggest issue I have with Tianya is the nonexistant QC. My GND gives a bad, bad purple colour cast so much so that I usually exposure blend instead of using the GND to nail the shot in a single exposure.

You need Lee filters. :bsmilie:

CPL from tianya is terrible. Get the Cokin one..

da purple cast is due to IR not being cut out i believe. i think can edit later on by just shifting hues. i am sure that the NDs dun block ir too, hence i get reddish images, which is relatively easy to correct later on in photoshop:)

da purple cast is due to IR not being cut out i believe. i think can edit later on by just shifting hues. i am sure that the NDs dun block ir too, hence i get reddish images, which is relatively easy to correct later on in photoshop:)

Hmm. Not entirely sure about how the purple cast arises. I have no issue with my Hoya ND8 or my CPL in terms of colour cast- are you talking about Tianya NDs?

I'm not so much of a photoshop person- don't know how to do a lot of stuff, you'll realise, if you view my landscape thread, that my post-production editing is very basic/minimal :bsmilie:

You need Lee filters. :bsmilie:

$$$$$$

:cry:

:bsmilie: i'll agree that the impact is significantly lesser. planning to save up for cokin

New one cost 70 bucks. Sold most of my cokin stuff. Still have a very old cpl left. Just sitting there. U want?

Purple and magenta cast not easy to correct. Even when done, you will lose color details. Cool (blue) cast is a lot easier to correct.

LEE Filters produce both types of polariser in two versions: a rotating 105mm diameter version and a 100 x 100mm square version.

The 105mm rotating polariser attaches to the filter system via a 105mm Accessory Ring which fits to the front of the filter holder. This allows the polariser to be rotated independently of any other filters in the holder. It is the ideal solution for landscape photography, where a combination of graduated filters and polariser may be required.

The 100 x 100mm square polariser slots into the filter holder, which is then rotated to achieve the desired effect. This version is recommened for studio use, or when no graduated filters are required in addition to the polariser.

Extract from
http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/finder/ref:C47567491985D4/

I read somewhere, IR blocking filter will help to remove the color cast. Is it true? Anyone has tried this? It seems not easy to find it in Singapore :bsmilie:

I read somewhere, IR blocking filter will help to remove the color cast. Is it true? Anyone has tried this? It seems not easy to find it in Singapore :bsmilie:

Yes but with the cost might as well go for better filters in the first place