SQ standards dropped?

Octarine, I'm not exactly sure what you're hoping to read. Excerpts of poor service or some form of analysis on why SQ's service seem to be observed as falling?
I like to read hard, sustainable and tangible facts that support the statements (or already accusations?) of fallen service standards. So far, not a single fact has been brought forward here. Whether it is an excerpt or analysis does not matter as long as it has facts at hand. I might not agree to any conclusion, but that's based on facts then.
I have given one example with the SKYTRAX survey.

- Why is Octarine so insistent on wanting to hear "actual examples of bad service"?
- Why is Octarine not willing to accept general views from travellers who felt that they had experienced falling standards of service?
Maybe you're genuinely wanting to hear objective experiences (which are actually subjective anyway...),
Got it in one. I want to have actual points because I do not accept 'general views' without them. (Be honest: would you accept any critics about your work without a list of tangible facts?)
I am fully aware that customer feedback in any form is subjective. But then, there are several ways to eliminate the 'subjective noise' in order to get to the hard facts. That's used in professional surveys.

or you're working in the service industry or looking at examples to improve the service delivery in your workplace through third-party experiences, or you're actually working in SIA and wanting to gather concrete examples on flagging levels of service.
My question is not related to my work, nor am I working for SIA or any related company or organization. I simply want to have more meat to it. Coming from engineering background I prefer to have facts and figures at hand to make a proper assessment. Bold and sweeping statements do not count all.

Well, whatever the reason, I guess you're going to have to either accept that there are travellers out there who have felt let-down by the falling standards of service in SIA, or continue to believe that service standards in SIA continue to true to it's slogan of "A Great Way To Fly".
I accept any statement supported by facts. Incidents occur but a single incident cannot by used to lament 'fallen standards', there must be more to it.
I have my own experiences with several airlines but I don't dare to make any sweeping statements because my experiences only cover such a small amount of flights that this is nothing that can be used to derive any general view.

...Shall we conclude that certain people here are just good in complaining? :bsmilie:

Isn't this is what we are good at in Singapore? :bsmilie:

For this you deserve another cat:

img67104750.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly my point bro! You nailed it! I was saying that those who complains or say SQ standards goes down are maybe due to their past experience with SQ. And the skytrax thingy you posted as form of facts or criteria is flawed to be used here by anyone of us why? Coz skytrax benchmark almost all if not all airline and based on those they grade each airlines accordingly so who in this forum have even flew 50% of all listed airline world wide? I bet close to none or none. So thats why i am saying to you don't be square bro. Chill down and take all these as individual experiences they are airing. Hope this clears my point that i am trying to get to you. ^_^

I have my own experiences with several airlines but I don't dare to make any sweeping statements because my experiences only cover such a small amount of flights that this is nothing that can be used to derive any general view.

Last edited:
So we are comparing SQ Vs SQ here, now and before. Last time pax were all steady and well mannered, now the Paxs bought 1 ticket wants 2 pillow, 3 main course, 4 seats for himself, 5 packets of peanut, 6 drinks in 2hrs, 7 playing cards and children toys.... Not to mention those who bought EYCL ticket but demand Business food and Champagne :( When visiting the Airport Premium class lounge they want to bring the whole village in with one business class ticket... Ugly scene everyday !!

So we are comparing SQ Vs SQ here, now and before. Last time pax were all steady and well mannered, now the Paxs bought 1 ticket wants 2 pillow, 3 main course, 4 seats for himself, 5 packets of peanut, 6 drinks in 2hrs, 7 playing cards and children toys.... Not to mention those who bought EYCL ticket but demand Business food and Champagne

When visiting the Airport Premium class lounge they want to bring the whole village in with one business class ticket... Ugly scene everyday !!

Silver members trying to act blur and get into the lounge ;)
Stealing pillows, cutlery, and headsets ;)
Trying to join the PPS queue to get ahead - the plane won't leave earlier if you are seated, it only leaves when Everyone gets in :)
Even with 30 kg in Economy, there are people who still go over the limit and shout when they are caught :)
Trying to pass out a 15kg pack as carry on, and acting blur when caught :)

Something g out of tropic but still very much related to airline. Why do they make steward and stewardess announce arrival and departure message live via the plane intercom system?

1st the intercom was never meant to sound good over the speakers. Worst, most can't speak properly in more than 1 language. Most times, it ends up passengers don't even understand what was said.

Since such messages are standard, why aren't they pre recorded? To practice emergency for staff?

Interesting thing is how Air Asia still ranks first in the travel/leisure category despite recent issues

Really curious on questions were asked during the survey

Something g out of tropic but still very much related to airline. Why do they make steward and stewardess announce arrival and departure message live via the plane intercom system? 1st the intercom was never meant to sound good over the speakers. Worst, most can't speak properly in more than 1 language. Most times, it ends up passengers don't even understand what was said. Since such messages are standard, why aren't they pre recorded? To practice emergency for staff?
Announcement varies for different countries depending on their CIQ requirements. The airport name, time, date and Temperature are not constant too. I guess it's possible to load all announcement for the 60 plus cities that SQ fly to and have the crew to select it and play, but during taxing to gate after arrival, Cabin Crew are to be seated at the door in preparation for emergency evacuation until seatbelt signs goes off. The CMIV system control panel is not located next to the seat.

I have heard over 2000 takeoff and landing announcement made by different crew and I can say that 95% of the time the messages were clear and well delivered. Mandarin, Japanese and Korean announcement are made by the native Crew. French and German are made by local crew who when through a 2-3 months full time language course before qualification for the respective language announcement.

Can't say much for the Pilots' announcement as they don't have a text to read from, they say it off their mind and they don't have to go through announcement training like the Cabin Crew.

Last edited: