Spyder3Pro setup clarification needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsim

Jun 5, 2003
East
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, need some clarification.

Jus got myself a spyder3pro... using it to calibrate my macbook...

1. Going thru the series of question, it asks whether my display has brightness, contrast or backlight... my macbook has only one control, is that the Backlight or brightness control?

Help section seems to imply macbook has "Backlight"

2. For the color control, Macbook has none right?

Thanks.

i'm using windowXP , go to your graphic card propeties >color..will see the gamma correction, but not sure macbook same as XP...hope help u

Hi guys, need some clarification.

Jus got myself a spyder3pro... using it to calibrate my macbook...

1. Going thru the series of question, it asks whether my display has brightness, contrast or backlight... my macbook has only one control, is that the Backlight or brightness control?

Help section seems to imply macbook has "Backlight"

2. For the color control, Macbook has none right?

Thanks.

1. "Backlight" (Anyway, if u choose only "brightness" or "contrast" and not both, the software will prompt u that it sld then be "backlight"
2. use "None"

That's the setting I used for my MBP.

Hope it helps.

dan

Does the spyder3Pro really makes a differences? Been toying on the thought of getting a hardware monitor calibrator...

hmm..

Does the spyder3Pro really makes a differences? Been toying on the thought of getting a hardware monitor calibrator...

hmm..

I'm using the Spyder2Pro and IMHO its worth the money. No point spending thousands on high quality photo gear capable of taking photos of the highest accuracy only to view them all messed up when viewed through an uncalibrated monitor. The Spyder3Pro has a before and after button at the end of the calibration process and after viewing that, you'll wonder how you could have done without it.

hey all, i heard of this (spyder) but i dont really know whats it used for. is it something just to calibrate the colours on your monitor, or its used for something else. sorry for this newbie question.

Hi guys, need some clarifications again:

I have calibrated my macbook with Spyder3Pro and the monitor profile is now set to it.

What abt my camera setting and PS settings?

I read this in CS2 book by Scott Kelby...

1. Set camera color space to AdobeRGB.

2. Set Photoshop color settings to "North America Prepress 2". Under this setting, the default working spaces is Adobe RGB (1998). And the book said to keep it this way too.
However, under this pop-up menu, i can see "monitor profile" too.. Should this be the profile to use, since the monitor is calibrated so?

If i set both cam and PS color settings to AdobeRGB, what is the point of calibrating the monitor to AdobeRGB?? I might be missing out something here... confuse :confused:

thanks

You need to set your monitor to reference the profile you created with Spyder3Pro and not to the AdobeRGB profile as you have mentioned.

When you select "North America Prepress 2" you have already by default chosen to use the AdobeRGB colourspace as the default working colourspace. At the same time, the option has been preset to prompt you to decide, whenever you open any photo which was taken using any other colourspace - either to keep the original colourspace or convert the photo's colourspace to your default working colourspace - which is now AdobeRGB.

Last edited:
To use Spyder, is there a need to change the camera settings to 'Adobe RGB' instead of the default 'SRGB'? Because in the monitor profile, I'm already on Spyder profile. So why the need to change the camera's profile?

I'm a little confused here too.

I did some research on the net... read somewhere to set the PS color setting to AdobeRGB(1998) and not use "Monitor Color"

So when u said to set it to reference the profile that i had created with Spyder3pro, what setting exactly are u saying?

Thanks.

You need to set your monitor to reference the profile you created with Spyder3Pro and not to the AdobeRGB profile as you have mentioned.

When you select "North America Prepress 2" you have already by default chosen to use the AdobeRGB colourspace as the default working colourspace. At the same time, the option has been preset to prompt you to decide, whenever you open any photo which was taken using any other colourspace - either to keep the original colourspace or convert the photo's colourspace to your default working colourspace - which is now AdobeRGB.

To use Spyder, is there a need to change the camera settings to 'Adobe RGB' instead of the default 'SRGB'? Because in the monitor profile, I'm already on Spyder profile. So why the need to change the camera's profile?

I'm a little confused here too.

Do a search at Adobe's website. You'll find many downloadable articles on this subject that will help you understand it better.

I am not an expert but here is my simple explanation. On the camera - you are selecting a colour space which the camera uses to register the range of colours when the photograph is taken. Commonly used are sRGB and AdobeRGB colourspaces. The Adobe RGB color space is an RGB color space developed by Adobe to be more suited for printing on CMYK printers. Its is an improvement on sRGB in that it has a wider colour gamut which means that it registers a greater range of colours in the photo. The general advice is to select AdobeRGB colour space when the target is to produce high quality prints or images and sRGB colour space when your target is to produce images for the web/on screen which is only able to represent a more limited range of colours. With many DSLR, you get a choice of several colour spaces to use. On the other hand, for most point and shoot digital cameras you are likely to be stuck with sRGB by default.

On the monitor, you use the profile you created with Spyder. The profile sort of works like an interpreter to make sure that colours represented by your monitor will be accurate. The Spyder would have saved it using a unique file name you specified. Just make sure that you select it as your monitor profile. Do not mix it up with the colour spaces mentioned above which has nothing to do with the monitor profile.

Last edited:
Do a search at Adobe's website. You'll find many downloadable articles on this subject that will help you understand it better.

I am not an expert but here is my simple explanation. On the camera - you are selecting a colour space which the camera uses to register the range of colours when the photograph is taken. Commonly used are sRGB and AdobeRGB colourspaces. The Adobe RGB color space is an RGB color space developed by Adobe to be more suited for printing on CMYK printers. Its is an improvement on sRGB in that it has a wider colour gamut which means that it registers a greater range of colours in the photo. The general advice is to select AdobeRGB colour space when the target is to produce high quality prints or images and sRGB colour space when your target is to produce images for the web/on screen which is only able to represent a more limited range of colours. With many DSLR, you get a choice of several colour spaces to use. On the other hand, for most point and shoot digital cameras you are likely to be stuck with sRGB by default.

On the monitor, you use the profile you created with Spyder. The profile sort of works like an interpreter to make sure that colours represented by your monitor will be accurate. The Spyder would have saved it using a unique file name you specified. Just make sure that you select it as your monitor profile. Do not mix it up with the colour spaces mentioned above which has nothing to do with the monitor profile.

excellent explanation!

As i don't print most of my photos, I'm currently on SRGB colourspace on my camera, and my monitor is defaulted as spyder colourspace. Despite the above mentioned setup, adobe photoshop still save my photos as adobe colourspace instead of SRGB colourspace, so why is it so? did i miss out some settings in adobe photoshop cs3?

excellent explanation!

As i don't print most of my photos, I'm currently on SRGB colourspace on my camera, and my monitor is defaulted as spyder colourspace. Despite the above mentioned setup, adobe photoshop still save my photos as adobe colourspace instead of SRGB colourspace, so why is it so? did i miss out some settings in adobe photoshop cs3?

If you had selected "North American Prepress" then by default, the preset is to always alert you when you open any photograph in PS which has been taken using a colour space other than AdobeRGB, whether you want to convert it to AdobeRGB.

You may have also, inadvertently, selected the preset to convert to AdobeRGB.

In either case, if you want to stick to sRGB, just select it as your workspace instead of AdobeRGB. Then select the preset to alert you to convert to sRGB if any photo is opened in PS which had been taken using any other colourspace other than sRGB.

sound confusing... hee..

Last edited:
If you had selected "North American Prepress" then by default, the preset is to always alert you when you open any photograph in PS which has been taken using a colour space other than AdobeRGB, whether you want to convert it to AdobeRGB.

You may have also, inadvertently, selected the preset to convert to AdobeRGB.

In either case, if you want to stick to sRGB, just select it as your workspace instead of AdobeRGB. Then select the preset to alert you to convert to sRGB if any photo is opened in PS which had been taken using any other colourspace other than sRGB.

thanks.... so just to confirm, i should be sticking to the following setup?:-

working space
RGB - Spyder
CMYK - US Web Coated
Gray - Dot Grain 20%
Spot - Dot Grain 20%

colour management policies
RGB - Off
CMYK - Preserve Embedded Profile
Gray - Preserve Embedded Profile

and should i decide to print some of the photos in the future, which setting should i change? (given my camera settings as SRGB colour profile)

thanks in advance for all the help rendered

thanks.... so just to confirm, i should be sticking to the following setup?:-

working space
RGB - Spyder
CMYK - US Web Coated
Gray - Dot Grain 20%
Spot - Dot Grain 20%

colour management policies
RGB - Off

and should i decide to print some of the photos in the future, which setting should i change? (given my camera settings as SRGB colour profile)

thanks in advance for all the help rendered

As I said before, the profile you produced with your Spyder is to be used for your monitor. On a Mac, go to System Preferences/Display/Color and set display profile to the filename for the monitor profile you created with your Spyder. I can't tell how to do it on a PC because I don't use one. But it should be similar, I think.

In Photoshop, if your preference is to use sRGB colourspace, suggest you try the following:

Working Spaces:
RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1
CMYK - US Web Coated
Gray - Dot Grain 20%
Spot - Dot Grain 20%

Colour management policies
RGB - Convert to working RGB

The above will convert every photo you open to sRGB. If you prefer to make the choice each time, then select checkbox: Ask When Opening.

Hope the above works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.