Spyder2Pro or Eye-One 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim

Nov 7, 2004
Eastern Singapore
I am about to retire my old n trusty SpyderPro soon and thinking of buying a new monitor calibrator.

I knew some users have used SpyderPro then bought Eye-One 2 to replace it as the latter are newer hardware therefore should be better IMO. Since the Spyder2Pro is newer, reading from some latest magazines (e.g. Shutterbug) reviews seem to say Spyder2Pro is better.

Can some users that actually owned or used both the Spyder2Pro and Eye-One 2 commend? Hopefully with some sincere opinions, I may able to narrow down and buy it by next week.

Cheers!

tim said:
I am about to retire my old n trusty SpyderPro soon and thinking of buying a new monitor calibrator.

I knew some users have used SpyderPro then bought Eye-One 2 to replace it as the latter are newer hardware therefore should be better IMO. Since the Spyder2Pro is newer, reading from some latest magazines (e.g. Shutterbug) reviews seem to say Spyder2Pro is better.

Can some users that actually owned or used both the Spyder2Pro and Eye-One 2 commend? Hopefully with some sincere opinions, I may able to narrow down and buy it by next week.

Cheers!

The Eye-One 2 has a more user-friendly interface.

I did a seach on this forum but most users voted Eye-One2 to SpyderPro(couple of years old), as they are upgrading from old to Eye-One 2 a newer hardware. The Eye-One 2 should be better if I buy it now to pit against my old SpyderPro.

What about the Spyder2Pro? Any users care to commend.

There is another, Monaco Optix but I just want to narrow down between Eye-One 2 and Spyder2Pro.

Thanks.

tim said:
I did a seach on this forum but most users voted Eye-One2 to SpyderPro(couple of years old), as they are upgrading from old to Eye-One 2 a newer hardware. The Eye-One 2 should be better if I buy it now to pit against my old SpyderPro.

What about the Spyder2Pro? Any users care to commend.

There is another, Monaco Optix but I just want to narrow down between Eye-One 2 and Spyder2Pro.

Thanks.

I use Eye-One 2 at work and the older Eye-One at home. Love them all. I had used the older Spyder while working as a lab assistant at RIT. The calibration varies quite a bit from time to time. The consistency is unknown.

I had at different times owned and used an EyeOne Display 2 and Spyder2. Both are quite similiar and it all boils down to the user interface. Differences are minor in my opinion and its really up to you to decide whether the extra money is worth spending. Don't think you will notice differences from the calibration with either devices with most monitors or LCD screens.

Great! finally a user of both have spoken.

If both are equally good then I will get the Eye-One 2 cos' from what I have read; in advance mode of calibration, the Spyder2Pro take around 20 mins!

Can you confirm?

tim said:
Great! finally a user of both have spoken.

If both are equally good then I will get the Eye-One 2 cos' from what I have read; in advance mode of calibration, the Spyder2Pro take around 20 mins!

Can you confirm?

Am using the eye-one 2 .... can let you test (if you want) when we meet again ... :)

Spyder2 takes longer than Eye1 Display 2 in doing the calibration but not too much to bother me. The whole thing is automated once you get pass the brightness, contrast and RGB guns adjustments. Just let the thing run for those few minutes. Unless you are using one of those expensive Lacie monitors, consider getting the Spyder2 which is around SG$110 cheaper than Eye 1 Display 2 (Cathay's prices) if you are going the Spyder route. What you get with the Spyder2Pro is better software .. the hardware puck used for calibration is the same.

On my Dell Ultrasharp 19" monitor I cannot notice any differences between the calibration done by Spyder2 or Eye 1 Display 2. Both are good products and your choice on which one to pick is going to be difficult. Support wise, both Colorvision and Gretag are very good and responsive via emails. Don't think you can be too wrong with either. Good luck.

freelancer said:
Spyder2 takes longer than Eye1 Display 2 in doing the calibration but not too much to bother me............................................... Both are good products and your choice on which one to pick is going to be difficult. Good luck.
As you said both are equally good and price wise are quite close that's why my head is cracking..... but I think will go for the Eye-One 2.
KNIGHT ONG said:
Am using the eye-one 2 .... can let you test (if you want) when we meet again ...
Thanks! See you in next meeting.

tim said:
As you said both are equally good and price wise are quite close that's why my head is cracking..... but I think will go for the Eye-One 2.

Thanks! See you in next meeting.

The problem with the Spyder is that don't ever drop it. I dropped one (not mine) once (about a meter drop) and one of its legs broke-off.

My Eye-One have absolutely no problem after I dropped it countless times. The Eye-One has a much better build quality.

shipping rates are always expensive.... :confused:

if ship by vpost will decrease the price?
if only someone carry in from states... or maybe a few pple share the postage costs from either adorama or B&H also can...

at least this is an option as compared to high prices found in cathay.

gnipihz said:
shipping rates are always expensive.... :confused:

if ship by vpost will decrease the price?
if only someone carry in from states... or maybe a few pple share the postage costs from either adorama or B&H also can...

at least this is an option as compared to high prices found in cathay.

but if you do the calculation, the shipping will be about the same anyway, don't forget to add 8.25% US sales tax too. Might as well just get from Zod's mass sale here at S$450?

I got mine from him too

never tried vpost..... OT abit....

if shipping to a US address will hit US taxes, then will it save on the local 5% GST? or will we be taxed twice? anyway how much will vpost parcel back to singapore cost? it's always good to know your options.

anyway, wai, you nolonger in singapore? where did you go after ntu?

gnipihz said:
never tried vpost..... OT abit....

if shipping to a US address will hit US taxes, then will it save on the local 5% GST? or will we be taxed twice? anyway how much will vpost parcel back to singapore cost? it's always good to know your options.

anyway, wai, you nolonger in singapore? where did you go after ntu?

i have been using vpost regularly...

no, you wont save on local GST, instead, you have to add 5% GST to the value of product + US local delivery charge + US sales tax + shipping charge to singapore

yeah..i am in singapore...u still remember me? ;)

Wai said:
no, you wont save on local GST, instead, you have to add 5% GST to the value of product + US local delivery charge + US sales tax + shipping charge to singapore

disgusting taxes.... any method of avoiding them? ;p

of cos i remember you. we sat through a concert together..... :bsmilie:

Getting it shipped via Vpost is much cheaper. Price is way below $400 inclusive of shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.