Spyder laptop monitor calibration

xwing76

Jul 10, 2005
Hi guys,

I need some help on laptop calibration. I haven't use a calibrated monitor before and always been using a non-calibrated monitor.

Recently, I bought a new HP laptop(model:HP Pavilion dv4-2112tx) and when I compared it to my old laptops the COLORS are just totally off. There seems to be a problem on severe BLUE CAST and POOR CONTRAST. I tried to use the built in color calibrator but I still couldn't totally fix it. I tried searching here and there about color management and how to fix the colors on my laptop but I'm not sure whether purchasing a color calibrator like SPYDER 3 on a laptop will solve it.

What do you guys think?

This is the specs on my laptop:
Display size (diagonal)
14.1” Diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display

Thanks!

cheers,
Ed

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I need some help on laptop calibration. I haven't use a calibrated monitor before and always been using a non-calibrated monitor.

Recently, I bought a new HP laptop(model:HP Pavilion dv4-2112tx) and when I compared it to my old laptops the COLORS are just totally off. There seems to be a problem on severe BLUE CAST and POOR CONTRAST. I tried to use the built in color calibrator but I still couldn't totally fix it. I tried searching here and there about color management and how to fix the colors on my laptop but I'm not sure whether purchasing a color calibrator like SPYDER 3 on a laptop will solve it.

What do you guys think?

This is the specs on my laptop:
Display size (diagonal)
14.1” Diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display

Thanks!

cheers,
Ed

Laptops rarely come with good screens that can calibrate properly. Most of the time they lack RGB slider controls which is quite important to getting the proper color on any screen. If your screen is gonna auto calibrate (which is not very accurate) I'd suggest borrowing the spyder from your peers instead. No point spending a bomb on something that will never ever accurately calibrate your screen.

Hi guys,

I haven't use a calibrated monitor before and always been using a non-calibrated monitor.

I tried those software calibrator can't fixed completely, because mainly I shift the RGB slide levels based on my own perception what is right. What is right to me, may not apply to the next person with his screen calibrated properly. After i switched to hardware calibrator, I can see the difference, especially if you do editing photos and printing out.

I heard that some LCD screens may get washed out colours after prolonged use.:dunno:

Anyway because you have not tried before, you wouldn't know right. ;)

your best bet is to get a decent IPS panel, hook it up as an external/ secondary monitor and calibrate that monitor; leave your laptop screen to house Photoshop panels :) That's what I do.

Laptops rarely come with good screens that can calibrate properly. Most of the time they lack RGB slider controls which is quite important to getting the proper color on any screen. If your screen is gonna auto calibrate (which is not very accurate) I'd suggest borrowing the spyder from your peers instead. No point spending a bomb on something that will never ever accurately calibrate your screen.

Yes, mine doesn't have the RGB slider.. if my laptop can't do it.. What would be an ideal hardware setup to process pictures? Thanks.

Yes, mine doesn't have the RGB slider.. if my laptop can't do it.. What would be an ideal hardware setup to process pictures? Thanks.

get a LCD monitor that has the RGB slider and plug it to your laptop to calibrate with the Spyder. preferably an IPS panel (for editing work is ideal), maybe one from dell. The ultrasharp series. I have 3 of those babies and they work fine for me.

Last edited:
I tried those software calibrator can't fixed completely, because mainly I shift the RGB slide levels based on my own perception what is right. What is right to me, may not apply to the next person with his screen calibrated properly. After i switched to hardware calibrator, I can see the difference, especially if you do editing photos and printing out.

I heard that some LCD screens may get washed out colours after prolonged use.:dunno:

Anyway because you have not tried before, you wouldn't know right. ;)

That's true.. what software calibrator did you use?
And what do you mean when you switch to hardware calibrator? You mean adjusting the monitor manually?

get a LCD monitor that has the RGB slider and plug it to your laptop to calibrate with the Spyder. preferably an IPS panel (for editing work is ideal), maybe one from dell. The ultrasharp series. I have 3 of those babies and they work fine for me.

Ok thanks, will try to look for one of those..

your best bet is to get a decent IPS panel, hook it up as an external/ secondary monitor and calibrate that monitor; leave your laptop screen to house Photoshop panels :) That's what I do.

Thanks for the reply.. What do you mean by laptop screen to house Photoshop panels?

That's true.. what software calibrator did you use?
And what do you mean when you switch to hardware calibrator? You mean adjusting the monitor manually?

can't remember which software. there are quite a number of them, do a google search.

software (manual adjust RGB levels) to hardware calibrator (Spyder3)

can't remember which software. there are quite a number of them, do a google search.

software (manual adjust RGB levels) to hardware calibrator (Spyder3)

Oh ok.. understood.. Thanks a lot for your help.. :)