Spyder 3/Eye One Display 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAG

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Hi all,

Am thinking of getting a new calibrator, and am contemplating between the both. From what I read on CS, seems that Eye One is still slightly better, but Spyder has more functionality (i.e. projector calibration).

Anyone knows how much both are retailing at CP? The Spyder seems to be at $320.

One more thing: I saw on CS that there are rumours of a new calibrator from XRite, but I can't seem to find any information on this... Was wondering if anyone could point some direction on this.

Thanks!

theRBK

May 16, 2005
don't think the rumours are based on any particular source other than the fact that Spyder 3 is out and xrite should logically have an answer to it soon... ;p

SNAG

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
don't think the rumours are based on any particular source other than the fact that Spyder 3 is out and xrite should logically have an answer to it soon... ;p
Hopefully so I guess - they've been really lagging after they merged.

1Ds

Jan 4, 2003
Visit site
go for the i-one spyder cannot make it.

theRBK

May 16, 2005
personally, I think Spyders can do a decent job... more importantly, the operator should remember to reprofile regularly... :)

Sep 14, 2007
I would go for the i1 Display 2.
Find it in the buy n sell forum. Its much cheaper.

josho

Nov 27, 2004
Jln Teck Whye
pboong.com
i1 display 2 user here. No complaint and everything works out damn fine.

*by the way, does anyone know where to get the weight from? Its meant to hold on the cable for LCD while doing calibration.. *

Mar 15, 2005
Woodlands, Singapore

*by the way, does anyone know where to get the weight from? Its meant to hold on the cable for LCD while doing calibration.. *
Did you lose your weight? The weight is suppose to come with the i1 display 2.

Anyway, I don't bother using the weight. I usually use tape (either masking tape or 3m magic tape). I tape the cable to the edge of the LCD monitor so the calibrator is suspended from the edge. I find the weight provided is too light.

theRBK

May 16, 2005
as well, tilt the monitor to point upwards slightly to help keep the thingamagic stationary and lying flat against the screen... sucker for CRT screen lah, don't try on LCD ;)

SNAG

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Are you sure?
I bought the Spyder 3 Elite from Cathay Photo at $500+. :dunno:

Here's a review:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/spyder3elite.html
That expensive?? if you look around, it's only selling for around S$350+ online, shipping won't definitely cost THAT much..

EDIT: Apologies, I didn't see the Elite version.

I would go for the i1 Display 2.
Find it in the buy n sell forum. Its much cheaper.
Thanks for the offer, but what's selling in the B&S section is still considerably more expensive than getting it online. ;)

I'm thinking of getting one because my old i1Display seems to have died on me - the calibration seems to have gone screwed.

Am trying to contact XRite on this (to ask them to help check my i1) before I commit to something.

Thanks a lot anyway!

iboey

Jun 16, 2006
Eastern Singapore
www.iboey.com
That expensive?? if you look around, it's only selling for around S$200+ online, shipping won't definitely cost THAT much..

Thanks for the offer, but what's selling in the B&S section is still considerably more expensive than getting it online. ;)

I'm thinking of getting one because my old i1Display seems to have died on me - the calibration seems to have gone screwed.

Am trying to contact XRite on this (to ask them to help check my i1) before I commit to something.

Thanks a lot anyway!
May I know which online shop you are referring? Im interested :)

SNAG

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Hi all,

Thought i would share on some resources on calibration issues.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139&order=desc

Well, AVSForum is more for audiophiles, but the calibration section is chock-full of information and content on the calibrators that photographers use (i.e. i1s, Spyders etc).

The audiophiles also use the same devices to calibrate their LCD/plasma/projectors etc.

Ages ago I bought a used i1d2 via ebay which didnt come with the weight and ambient light measuring attachment. I wrote to Gretag Macbeth (via Online Support) to request where I could get them. They sent the pieces to me FOC directly from USA.

David Chin

Oct 31, 2006
Singapore Central
Hi all,

Thought i would share on some resources on calibration issues.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139&order=desc

Well, AVSForum is more for audiophiles, but the calibration section is chock-full of information and content on the calibrators that photographers use (i.e. i1s, Spyders etc).

The audiophiles also use the same devices to calibrate their LCD/plasma/projectors etc.
AVSforum.com is actually a forum for videophiles. Audiophiles usually hang out at audioasylum.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom