Sprucing up singapore for imf meetings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
i saw on tv that stretches of bellies of above ground mrt tracks and their supporting columns are being painted with a fresh coat of paint. all because of imf meetings. i do not believe it is true. ever since mrt started operations over 10 years ago, i believe that no such sprucing took place. i still do not think it is necessary at all. ha ha! how pretentious we can get!

we never know, since whenever a minister visits a place, the place is suddenly sparkling clean...haha...reminds me of the old days when the emperor visits the pple..

The roads are getting resurfaced too... just like what they do in our neighbouring country down south.

Well, you can see it as a case of taxpayers' money put to 'good' use ... thanks to IMF! ;)
Strange thing is ... we haven't heard any 'complaints' about this kinda spending (yet?), while you hear more complaints (in the ST Forum) about Town Councils spending too much moola upgrading/changing this and that ..... :bsmilie:

The irritating part is when you see road works started on a road ... a few days later when it completes.... they patch up the road badly ... then ... they resurface the whole road from 1 end to another ... only to find that its back to road works happening again on the newly resurfaced road. :rolleyes:

Talk about wasting of tax payers' money...

to me, this is quite unavoidable. as we have adopted a system of burying cables underground as opposed to having cables hanging from poles to poles above ground.

dEthANGeL said:
The irritating part is when you see road works started on a road ... a few days later when it completes.... they patch up the road badly ... then ... they resurface the whole road from 1 end to another ... only to find that its back to road works happening again on the newly resurfaced road. :rolleyes:

Talk about wasting of tax payers' money...

It seems you underestimate the long term significance of giving a good impression to the international delegates of the World Bank and IMF meetings.

Well giving a good impression to International Representatives is one thing which cannot be neglected where long term investments are concerned (although it may be a little pretentious).

But a strange thing, why can't a Minister doing a local visit, simply visit an estate without getting greeted by the RC with lotsa fanfare, lion dance and other 'coincidental activities lined up for the residents' wheich usually coincides with a Minister's visit to an estate?

LTA has to use up their money on the paint or else they won't get more money on the next Budget year which the dear garment will collect from you. Same as the road paving.
The underbelly of our expressway has got nothing to do with IMF delegates. We are clean and green enough for investors already.

i am told or read that our cabbies are told to exercise discretion when speaking adversely about singapore. power to our cabbies.

So, since they din define OB boundaries, the cabbies might as well keep their mouths shut even if their passengers crack dirty jokes with them using their favourite 7-word Hokkien expletives and 4-lettered English expletives. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.