Spring In The City - Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfoo

Apr 7, 2004
Just some shots to share.

Wanted to try ambient indoor lighting shoot. The show's lighting was really mix so I didn't bother to WB in post. Only cleanup levels, downsize and USM for posting.

Feel free to comment.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

If you like to leave some comments directly on the photos, you can go to my PBase Link.

some more . . . .

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

If you like to leave some comments directly on the photos, you can go to my PBase Link.

Colour saturation seems to be very high - was this set to high in the camera as you didn't mention doing it during PP. This is particularly so for the first few pics. Or is it my monitor?

knew i forgot something.

forgot to post camera settings:
D70 with Kit Lens
Aperture Priority: f5.6
Matrix & Centre-weighted metering were used
+0.5 exp comp was used for the lighter costumes
Shutter Speed: 1/180 ~ 1/320

Custom Settings:
Sharpening: 0
Tone com: 0
Color mode: 3a
Saturation: 0
Hue Adjustment: 0

Post Production:
Clean levels
Downsize
Make black frame
USM (0.5)

That's all.

I didn't dial up any saturation in post. The lighting was mix with daylight and hot floods. The warm tone came from the floodlights.

The colours look very saturated which is amazing considering it was shot with ambient lighting.

jfoo :)

Very good compositions although the white balance seems off (something wrong with the colour combination).

For every picture, the framing is superb : Head room was just nice (not too much or too little) and either the full body length fills the frame height or the body/subjects fills most of the frame width. So there is very little negative space and this keeps attention focused on the suject(s). In addition, no apparent tilt.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks for the feedback.

lighting was mix so i didn't bother to wb in post. ;)

jfoo said:
knew i forgot something.

forgot to post camera settings:
D70 with Kit Lens
Aperture Priority: f5.6
Matrix & Centre-weighted metering were used
+0.5 exp comp was used for the lighter costumes
Shutter Speed: 1/180 ~ 1/320

Custom Settings:
Sharpening: 0
Tone com: 0
Color mode: 3a
Saturation: 0
Hue Adjustment: 0

Post Production:
Clean levels
Downsize
Make black frame
USM (0.5)

That's all.

I didn't dial up any saturation in post. The lighting was mix with daylight and hot floods. The warm tone came from the floodlights.

The colours look very saturated which is amazing considering it was shot with ambient lighting.

jfoo :)

With that setting, you get the kind of saturation. Must go down to shoot using my D70 too. I always shoot with flash - I guess it is the flash that makes the picture less saturated with colours or rather, the flash makes the colour somewhat plain. BTW, I love those punchy wild colours you got. So, I should shoot without flash. I guess the stage lights are bright enough.

smallaperture said:
With that setting, you get the kind of saturation. Must go down to shoot using my D70 too. I always shoot with flash - I guess it is the flash that makes the picture less saturated with colours or rather, the flash makes the colour somewhat plain. BTW, I love those punchy wild colours you got. So, I should shoot without flash. I guess the stage lights are bright enough.

For better light conditions, it's better to shoot the 1pm show (and/or 4pm show during weekends) when the day is bright because much more sunlight will shine through the glass roof top to illuminate the performance. It's much darker in the 7pm show especially if it rains.

Also expect your exposure to be affected if there are also many other photographers using their strong flashes to shoot.

Clockunder's right. The afternoon shows are better for ambient shooting. You have daylight from the sunroof and additional stage lights. But still with all the flash popping, the wb can go haywire on you. A real headache in post.

Went down again on 18th Jan....kanna hook already ;p, but this time bring 80-200/2.8 and used spot metering. Luckily only a few bad shots, exposure out due to spot metering. If I go again, will stick to centre or matrix metering. :lovegrin:

Some more to share (this time corrected the skin tones since going to print out):

18_01.jpg

18_02.jpg

more to come.

another two to share from 18 Jan:

18_03.jpg

18_04.jpg

enjoy! :devil:

The wider aperture used (such as F/2.8 compared to the smaller F/5.6 used previously) has a shallower depth of field and thereby isolates the subject(s) from the background. This gives a more 3-D appearance to the picture and makes the subject(s) stands out in front. :thumbsup:

I think it also enhances the contrast between foreground and background and therefore overall, the colours appear more vibrant. :thumbsup:

Composition still :thumbsup:

Clockunder said:
For better light conditions, it's better to shoot the 1pm show (and/or 4pm show during weekends) when the day is bright because much more sunlight will shine through the glass roof top to illuminate the performance. It's much darker in the 7pm show especially if it rains.

Also expect your exposure to be affected if there are also many other photographers using their strong flashes to shoot.

Some daylight, some stagelights and some flashes - all with different color temperature, resulting in rojak light, so the camera's WB goes haywire! Colour seems to be somewhat weird.

clockunder: The wider aperture used (such as F/2.8 compared to the smaller F/5.6 used previously) has a shallower depth of field and thereby isolates the subject(s) from the background. This gives a more 3-D appearance to the picture and makes the subject(s) stands out in front. :thumbsup:

I think it also enhances the contrast between foreground and background and therefore overall, the colours appear more vibrant. :thumbsup:

Composition still :thumbsup:

thanks. :)

smallaperture: Some daylight, some stagelights and some flashes - all with different color temperature, resulting in rojak light, so the camera's WB goes haywire! Colour seems to be somewhat weird.

i have corrected the skin tones for printing. look at #10 to #13.

anyway, this dance series was really good practice and i am thankful to get the chance to shoot it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.